The George Floyd/Black Lives Matter protests and police conduct

11 hours ago, jsneb83 said:

I wonder how many reporters are now going to push the boundaries and try to get the police to react to them so they can play the victim.

It is reporting 101 (now)...the reporter is the story, the reporter getting views/likes/RT's is the story, the reporter getting to be interviewed is the story.  I don't blame them at all, there is a pot of gold at the end of the reporting rainbow with a podcast deal, book deal, radio deal...none of these reporters want to be field reporters their entire life.

• Plus1 1

38 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

You’re right, none of that is justified or called for. But cops are human beings. 3 Nights of riots, hundreds of thousands of personal interactions in heightened stressful situations while police have been constantly insulted, attacked and assaulted by the crowds. I don’t think we should make too much of statistically irrelevant bad reactions. I’m much more concerned about fixing the problems that touched all this off.

It's pretty alarming that it's multiple incidents in multiple cities. It kind of seems like the systemic issue we've been talking about...

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
48 minutes ago, teachercd said:

It is reporting 101 (now)...the reporter is the story, the reporter getting views/likes/RT's is the story, the reporter getting to be interviewed is the story.  I don't blame them at all, there is a pot of gold at the end of the reporting rainbow with a podcast deal, book deal, radio deal...none of these reporters want to be field reporters their entire life.

I will totally accept that some of the national news outlets subscribe to this method. 

There are a litany of stories coming out about reporters trying to do an honest job and getting attacked, unprovoked, for it. 

1 minute ago, Cdog923 said:

I will totally accept that some of the national news outlets subscribe to this method. 

There are a litany of stories coming out about reporters trying to do an honest job and getting attacked, unprovoked, for it. 

Of course there is...I am sure most of them are trying to do an honest job.  But it is the "bad" ones that ruin it for the good ones...because they have to keep up with the joneses.  

2 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Of course there is...I am sure most of them are trying to do an honest job.  But it is the "bad" ones that ruin it for the good ones...because they have to keep up with the joneses.  

I feel like we've circled back to the theme :)

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ZRod said:

It's pretty alarming that it's multiple incidents in multiple cities. It kind of seems like the systemic issue we've been talking about...

It could seem that way, or it could also seem like expected systemic human response.

I guess I would hope and expect that the George Floyd type problems can/need to be fixed. Whereas I have no expectation that thousands upon thousands situations of large crowds abusing police, packed into 3 nights of riots, won’t illicit a few reactions like these. I think we need to fix the systemic problems so that we are able to make reasonable allowances for more understandable bad reactions like some of these.

• Fire 1
32 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

It could seem that way, or it could also seem like expected systemic human response.

I guess I would hope and expect that the George Floyd type problems can/need to be fixed. Whereas I have no expectation that thousands upon thousands situations of large crowds abusing police, packed into 3 nights of riots, won’t illicit a few reactions like these. I think we need to fix the systemic problems so that we are able to make reasonable allowances for more understandable bad reactions like some of these.

We've had ample opportunities as a society, but the "George Floyd type problems" haven't been fixed in over 200 years.

• Plus1 1
44 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

The problem is that this is all so predictable. It happens time and time again.

The mob mentality of the public probably won't change. But trained professionals can and should be doing better. That's all I'm saying. I know they have a hell of job, and there's been some really amazing images of officers correcting others who've been out of line but policing needs an totally new approach.

15 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

We've had ample opportunities as a society, but the "George Floyd type problems" haven't been fixed in over 200 years.

I agree. That needs to be remedied. The sooner the better. I was simply saying that we should not confuse normal and understandable bad human reactions in extreme situations with the problem that needs to be and can be fixed. Because we will never ever be able to eliminate the other one.

• Fire 1
7 minutes ago, ZRod said:

The problem is that this is all so predictable. It happens time and time again.

The mob mentality of the public probably won't change. But trained professionals can and should be doing better. That's all I'm saying. I know they have a hell of job, and there's been some really amazing images of officers correcting others who've been out of line but policing needs an totally new approach.

I agree.

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, Cdog923 said:

...kind of similar to police officers...

• Fire 1
1 hour ago, ZRod said:

Zrod...any ideas on how to stop the "systemic" law enforcement problem? is it racism only in your opinion? Or power hungry, crooked cops? Administrators?...

4 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Sad to hear about the businesses in DT Omaha. Small businesses already being crushed by Covid now dealing with broken windows and vandalism. 

Lincoln businesses damaged as well...didnt hear of any looting, but definitely criminal mischief