The George Floyd/Black Lives Matter protests and police conduct

2 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I just thought he talked well and seemed like less of an idiot compared to Trump and even Biden but now it's obvious he's a total douche.

I think his "tough guy" persona made him really popular for that short amount of time.  I think people sort of wanted to see someone stand up to Trump and he did.

25 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I’m embarrassed and sorry that I attempted to defend ANY police in the first few days of these protests. Granted I had not seen any examples as bad as the hundreds that have been posted in the last week or so since but I am now convinced that it is widespread and enough of a problem that they do not deserve any benefit of doubt. I still won’t say ALL are bad but it sure appears to be systemic, wide spread and serious. Protect and serve my a$$. More like Threaten, injure, maim and coverup and make excuses. Sorry BRI, I’m not including you in that but at this point it makes more sense to treat the good ones as the anomalies.

Clearly if we're going to meaningfully reform policing it's going to have to be an  effort with as much if not more buy-in from internally as it does externally. The good cops on the force have to be just as uncomfortable and pissed off as the rest of us.

Obviously not all are: cue this Buffalo PD unit and some of the cops who thanked Trump for "unshackling" them and laughed as he joked about wanton police brutality.

Clearly some of the good cops are siding with us. I would hope most. But the circling of the wagons and looking out for their own is problematic and it has me wondering about percentages.

• Plus1 2
20 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

Clearly if we're going to meaningfully reform policing it's going to have to be an  effort with as much if not more buy-in from internally as it does externally. The good cops on the force have to be just as uncomfortable and pissed off as the rest of us.

Obviously not all are: cue this Buffalo PD unit and some of the cops who thanked Trump for "unshackling" them and laughed as he joked about wanton police brutality.

Clearly some of the good cops are siding with us. I would hope most. But the circling of the wagons and looking out for their own is problematic and it has me wondering about percentages.

Yeah, I am really beginning to wonder about those percentages also. Just a few days ago I felt extremely safe thinking less than 5% and definitely less than 10% were bad. I'm not so sure anymore.

Plus, probably the bigger issue is the environment and their rules of conduct and engagement that they have been conditioned to accept as "the way it is". In the case of the elderly man in Buffalo, it sounds like that is what they are instructed to do. I don't know how many of the 57 that resigned really embrace that method but it's clear they felt strongly enough that A) it's okay to do that and they don't mind it occurring or B) we are trained and authorized to do that so we're going to show solidarity with any of us that does it.  Either way it tells me lots of sh#t needs to change.

• Plus1 2

I really intended to go to the protest tonight but not in this weather. I draw the line at 100 degrees (or really at about 85) for unrequired outdoor activity. Way too hot today. Maybe, maybe if I’m not too tired after the sun goes down. Yeah, I’m a puss. I guess there’s a reason most protesters tend to be younger. I sorta feel like I’m not doing my duty...

15 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

I’m embarrassed and sorry that I attempted to defend ANY police in the first few days of these protests. Granted I had not seen any examples as bad as the hundreds that have been posted in the last week or so since but I am now convinced that it is widespread and enough of a problem that they do not deserve any benefit of doubt. I still won’t say ALL are bad but it sure appears to be systemic, wide spread and serious. Protect and serve my a$$. More like Threaten, injure, maim and coverup and make excuses. Sorry BRI, I’m not including you in that but at this point it makes more sense to treat the good ones as the anomalies.

I hear you. I have an angry, activist teenage daughter talking all sort of s#!t about police, and I have to remind her that, as with any group, you can't judge them all by the worst of the batch.

But the last few days watching police departments and unions circling the wagons, doubling down, and blatantly lying about things we can see on video has been killing my case. 

(Also, the cop shown kneeling in solidarity with protestors one day, and kicking a young woman in the head the next)

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 2
1 minute ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I hear you. I have an angry, activist teenage daughter talking all sort of s#!t about police, and I have to remind her that, as with any group, you can't just them all by the worst of the batch.

But the last few days watching police departments and unions circling the wagons, doubling down, and blatantly lying about things we can see on video has been killing my case. 

(Also, the cop shown kneeling in solidarity with protestors one day, and kicking a young woman in the head the next)

And angry teen???

Have you had her start listening to The Cure...because that seemed to work for all of them in the 80's

4 hours ago, BlitzFirst said:

I'm starting to get really, really pissed off.

I'm a veteran.  I served during war.  I fought for this country.  I didn't fight for freedoms so cops could come and piss all over them.

I have been thinking the protestors are wrong for breaking curfew...I will now be going to out break it with them.  I'll be encouraging every single person I know, young and old, to come out in force to do it.

I hope it's not too late to take America back to democracy from the brink of fascism....but if you don't think we're almost there based on these police videos, you aren't very intelligent or just don't care.

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

Hey @Danny Bateman maybe you should rename this now? Or we could start a new topic. I dunno.

This is a verbal protest during a virtual town hall meeting.

In the midst of the growing tension between the public and law enforcement, the Los Angeles Police Department commission held a live streamed town hall over Zoom.

Calls were taken from the public to voice their opinion on the ongoing situation, with many criticizing LAPD Chief Michael Moore.

Audio is NSFW - mods, I'm not sure if it's allowed, there's f bombs and talk of fellatio. Feel free to move it if you want.

• Haha 1

"United States Park Police officers and other assisting law enforcement partners did not use tear gas or OC Skat Shells to close the area at Lafayette Park in response to violent protestors," Monahan said in a statement.

People are calling this a lie, but maybe it isn't a lie due to the bolded part. They didn't use it on violent protesters.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/05/politics/park-police-tear-gas/index.html

• Plus1 1
20 hours ago, Landlord said:

Those two officers are suspended without pay, and the man is thankfully in stable condition.

Here's another angle. Again, content warning it's rough to watch:

It's still pretty ugly in some places and it's still pretty "what the f#&% are you DOING????" re: the police in others:

Smart move by the cops to attack the medics. Hopefully they dont need them later down the road if they are injured. Maybe the medics should shoot them with rubber bullets if they are hurt.