The George Floyd/Black Lives Matter protests and police conduct

1 minute ago, Frott Scost said:

Yes, mistakes are made in the healthcare profession. Stuff happens during surgery. Wrong medication doses and wrong medications are given that harm and kill people. Those people usually end up losing their jobs and licenses. But the key word there is mistake. The videos I am seeing on social media are not mistakes. They are intentionally trying to hurt people. And I would go to HR in a heart beat if a nurse, xray texh or doctor were harming patients. I already did when an older doctor was exhibiting signs of dementia and it was getting dangerous for him to practice medicine. It was hard to do because he was the owner of the clinic but I had an obligation and a couple months later he was in a nursing home and couldnt even remember his kids names. Do good cops turn in bad cops? Doesnt look like thats the case over the last few weeks. 

In reference to turning in bad cops, you're assuming it doesn't happen, isn't happening and I've never done it. Assumptions are fun and also ridiculous and untrue so....

• Plus1 1

11 minutes ago, BIGREDIOWAN said:

Sounds good, you're entitled to your opinion just like I am! Glad you went into healthcare too! Unlike you, I appreciate what you do! 

Should we now talk about the 100's of thousands of people who are killed every year from mistakes in the healthcare field or should we just ignore that while we're at it because it doesn't fit the narrative?

Oh here's what we could do! We could probably somehow spin that into the cops fault I suppose because we get blamed for everything anyways! Yeah that sounds better, let's do that!

The point is......I don't think all doctors are bad because of those mistakes because I'm more mature than that and know better. Seems like not everyone is capable of seperating the bad apples from the good ones from what I've seen in this very thread. ;)

I actually think a lot of people here and everywhere genuinely want to hear from you. We don't get it. We don't understand what's going on right now. I've been holding the "few bad apples" and "who will you call when YOU get robbed" narrative my whole life, and am now trying to impart it to my teen, but everything I'm seeing from the footage, from first hand reports, and from statements directly from police unions only validates the really dark suspicions that this has always been worse than I thought. Yeah, there are some uplifting stories about good police departments reaching out to their communities, but there are very few on-the-record statements from the "good cops" willing to say the martial law approach is not who we are. 

• Plus1 5
  • Thanks 1
27 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I actually think a lot of people here and everywhere genuinely want to hear from you. We don't get it. We don't understand what's going on right now. I've been holding the "few bad apples" and "who will you call when YOU get robbed" narrative my whole life, and am now trying to impart it to my teen, but everything I'm seeing from the footage, from first hand reports, and from statements directly from police unions only validates the really dark suspicions that this has always been worse than I thought. Yeah, there are some uplifting stories about good police departments reaching out to their communities, but there are very few on-the-record statements from the "good cops" willing to say the martial law approach is not who we are. 

What's going on right now is not okay and not a good look! Not our proudest moment by any means! I think I've made it clear that I'm not okay with these incidents from my past posts. But if people expect me to just read the "there are no good cops" and "f#&% cops" narrative that's going on in here and just remain quiet about that they're nuts! 

So if you want to hear from me fine, but control the ones that are getting out of hand in here and saying this s#!t because it's ridiculous! 

If Melania truly cares, she should do more. She's in a position where she could do a lot of good if she really disagrees with her husband.

Within hours, Trump had turned his ire to Twitter for rebuking him. But at 10 a.m. ET, Melania Trump appeared to align with the social media company, posting: "Our country allows for peaceful protests, but there is no reason for violence."

"As a nation, let's focus on peace, prayers & healing," she added.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/05/politics/melania-trump-messaging-west-wing/index.html

1 hour ago, BIGREDIOWAN said:

Actually I've been putting up with this for half my life as that's how long I've been a police officer. So don't try to make me feel bad and lecture me at this point. Here's a read for you if you can stop your cop hate rethoric for a few minutes. You probably won't read it though.....

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-myth-of-systemic-police-racism-11591119883?redirect=amp#click=https://t.co/6bMEddwaLp

That WSJ article is an op-ed written by Heather McDonald who's a pro-police commentator working for the right-wing Manhattan Institute. It's a ridiculous attempt to blame the victims, which doesn't hold up under even light scrutiny. And her analysis ignores some basic facts like the death rate of black men from police action.

Police: Sixth-leading cause of death for young black men

Good critique in this thread:

5 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

That WSJ article is an op-ed written by Heather McDonald who's a pro-police commentator working for the right-wing Manhattan Institute. It's a ridiculous attempt to blame the victims, which doesn't hold up under even light scrutiny. And her analysis ignores some basic facts like the death rate of black men from police action.

Police: Sixth-leading cause of death for young black men

To add to this, it was already posted by someone else. It just doesn't hold water. I understand denying that most police officers are bad, but there absolutely is a systematic problem.

• Plus1 1
50 minutes ago, BIGREDIOWAN said:

What's going on right now is not okay and not a good look! Not our proudest moment by any means! I think I've made it clear that I'm not okay with these incidents from my past posts. But if people expect me to just read the "there are no good cops" and "f#&% cops" narrative that's going on in here and just remain quiet about that they're nuts! 

So if you want to hear from me fine, but control the ones that are getting out of hand in here and saying this s#!t because it's ridiculous! 

It’s easy for me to say, but please don’t take some of this venting or frustration people have personally.  I know it’s not easy. I believe you’ve earned the respect of many on HB by answering some of our questions and giving very good insight.  You certainly have to me. I have no doubt the good cops definitely outnumber the bad.  I’m sure most people would agree, despite only the bad getting the spotlight now.  Things are just really tense and trying for everyone now.   Especially African-Americans and LEO’s, I would imagine.  I truly believe things will get better.   We all need each other to make it happen though.  

• Fire 2
2 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

It’s easy for me to say, but please don’t take some of this venting or frustration people have personally.  I know it’s not easy. I believe you’ve earned the respect of many on HB by answering some of our questions and giving very good insight.  You certainly have to me. I have no doubt the good cops definitely outnumber the bad.  I’m sure most people would agree, despite only the bad getting the spotlight now.  Things are just really tense and trying for everyone now.   Especially African-Americans and LEO’s, I would imagine.  I truly believe things will get better.   We all need each other to make it happen though.  

Read the article I posted from Mike The Cop one page back. The point he makes about the good cops leaving is a valid one. This good cop will be leaving this career field because of this situation and the response towards us since we're being lumped in with the bad ones. 20 years is enough I think in this line of work. The experience of those 20 years will last a lifetime though. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, BIGREDIOWAN said:

I was with you right up until "control the ones that are getting out of hand."  

Other than ignoring, rebuking  or challenging the guy who says "f the cops," what kind of control would you suggest? 

Just now, Guy Chamberlin said:

I was with you right up until "control the ones that are getting out of hand."  

Other than ignoring, rebuking  or challenging the guy who says "f the cops," what kind of control would you suggest? 

That's all I'm asking for, instead all I see is people +1ing the people hating on the cops. So that's super s#!tty to see and feel from my end. Been on this board for 15 years and really don't feel like I belong here right now. Some folks just won't get or see what I'm saying so I guess it's what it is. :dunno

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, BIGREDIOWAN said:

That's all I'm asking for, instead all I see is people +1ing the people hating on the cops. So that's super s#!tty to see and feel from my end. Been on this board for 15 years and really don't feel like I belong here right now. Some folks just won't get or see what I'm saying so I guess it's what it is. :dunno

If you're talking about @Frott Scost's "f*ck them" in an earlier post, I +1 that post because I assume the "them" he's talking about are the police that are assaulting medics. I'm not +1ing the sentiment of hating on all cops. If Frott could clarify, that would be helpful.

2 hours ago, Frott Scost said:

Yeah f#&% those police officers that are attacking medics and healthcare workers as they try and keep people safe! Just as you are taking it personally what I am saying, I am taking it personally what they are doing to people in my profession.

These are isolated cases.   Bad?  Yes, but it doesn’t make all cops bad.  It doesn’t help that this stuff is pretty much on a continuous loop on cable news.   In my profession I’ve come across many bad nurses as well.  Like the nurse who was playing Kevorkian a few years back. There’s bad in any field.  

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1