The George Floyd/Black Lives Matter protests and police conduct

The highlighted quote is pretty alarming.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/us-army-unit-was-issued-bayonets-to-prep-for-dc-protest-duty/ar-BB15lY3Y

A historic Army unit located just outside Washington was issued bayonets in scabbards as well as live ammunition in case active-duty troops were deployed in the U.S. capital last week, according to a letter from Pentagon leaders.

“At no point were any weapons loaded or made ready, but in preparation for potential operations in an increased readiness posture, the Old Guard Commander directed the issue of bayonets in scabbards and limited amounts of ammunition to be maintained in pouches,” according to a June 10 letter by Defense Secretary Mark Esper and General Mark Milley, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.

As many as 800 members of the Old Guard were on alert.

The letter to the House Armed Services Committee’s leaders, a copy of which was seen by Bloomberg News, is the latest twist in the controversy over the U.S. military’s potential role in controlling anti-racism protests that turned violent over the first weekend in June.

Donald Trump’s threat to invoke the Insurrection Act of 1807 to send active-duty troops into states roiled by protests -- and his administration’s decision to clear a plaza in front of the White House of peaceful protesters so the president could stand in front of a church holding a Bible -- continue to reverberate.

10 hours ago, Danny Bateman said:

Just very sad for him. Never should have happened. That unit in the Buffalo PD is an absolutely embarrassment to the uniform.

I mean, duh... You split your head open from a fall like that and you're going to have a concussion aka brain injury...

2 minutes ago, ZRod said:

I mean, duh... You split your head open from a fall like that and you're going to have a concussion aka brain injury...

Pffft. What are you, some kind of skull scientist? 

What a mess, but a much needed one.

Keep in mind that a lot of these cities let the looting at the beginning happen. They didn't even try to stop it, and then they brought in the militarized police on the protestors, not the looters.

• Plus1 1

I haven't been on the forums ever since the coronavirus lockdowns started, so at least three months. First post back since that hiatus; it's good to see you all again.

Haven't read through this thread. But I think that the overwhelming majority of Americans who watched that video of Floyd being murdered would say that it was senseless, disturbing, and sad.

So in that vein, in my completely honest opinion I feel like the societal issue at hand is probably less about systemic racism in America, personally. Systemic racism definitely exists, but I see it dwindling with each year in the 21st century. For me the George Floyd issue is much, much more about a lack of accountability in police departments.

One thing I was trying to investigate but didn't really have much luck with when I was googling it, and maybe you all can help me understand more: This cop had 18 complaints against him. Has anybody done any research about whether that is a low, high, or average number for Minneapolis policemen? I don't have a context there. All I know is that I would not have lasted in my career if I had more than even, say, five grave "customer complaints." So it seems like this officer should have been fired years ago...right? Or not?

In other words, what is even sadder about the whole thing to me is that Derek Chauvin probably shouldn't have even been in uniform and on the beat that day, and then this wouldn't have happened to George Floyd. It also happens everywhere else, and again I think the main issue is needing to keep police accountable so it's harder to commit brutality and overreach. 

22 hours ago, Landlord said:

Things I never learned about in school:

• Tulsa Massacre

• Jim Crow

• Redlining

• The U.S. shipping Jews back to axis-europe

• Churchill's pretty disgusting racism

• Christopher Columbus slaughtering indigenous people

• The G.I. Bill, Homesteaders Act, etc.

But my 3rd grade teacher did talk about attending a "fascinating" Ku Klux Klan rally in NC in the 90's

Good lord...were you homeschooled?  

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, Landlord said:

What a mess, but a much needed one.

Keep in mind that a lot of these cities let the looting at the beginning happen. They didn't even try to stop it, and then they brought in the militarized police on the protestors, not the looters.

Is there any actual evidence that they "let it happen" other than videos of mass looting?

1 hour ago, ZRod said:

Is there any actual evidence that they "let it happen" other than videos of mass looting?

Do you see any  videos of any police doing anything or even present in the videos of all the looting and property destruction?

They're nowhere to be found. I've seen at least 3 videos of people running out of stores with product in hand and  police just standing there, maybe fainting a step towards one person or halfheartedly shoving another.

9 minutes ago, Landlord said:

Do you see any  videos of any police doing anything or even present in the videos of all the looting and property destruction?

They're nowhere to be found. I've seen at least 3 videos of people running out of stores with product in hand and  police just standing there, maybe fainting a step towards one person or halfheartedly shoving another.

I mean....hundreds of people have been arrested...for rioting, looting, curfew (that one is lame).

1 hour ago, Landlord said:

Not really the same as a city deciding to let looting go on. Sometimes there's nothing an officer can do, and it's better for them to just control the crowd and make sure that nothing violent happens. They're not stopping hundreds of people.

I  mean we've seen the video of the cops lounging/hanging out  during the most violent looting in Chicago.

We saw an entire precinct of cops leave their building in Minneapolis to let rioters burn it down. I've seen multiple tweets  and articles from MLPS business owners saying they watched people looting stores for hours and they called 911 only to be told it's already being taken care of or there's nothing they can do.