The George Floyd/Black Lives Matter protests and police conduct

Just now, RedDenver said:

I somewhat agree, but we also don't need every statue in order to remember the past.

Agreed. I guess I said 'many cases' but really I just think it comes down to what's necessary. Do we need to preserve every statue of a Confederate Civil War general? No. But, I think there should be honest conversations about what should be done with them as opposed to just destroying them without a second thought.

Germany is a fascinating case study on this FWIW. Spent some time studying it in college. Nazism is far more taboo in their culture than the Confederacy has been in ours; but, they're still preserving that history, showing it in museums, teaching it in schools, etc. It's a painful topic to embrace but they eventually embraced it. Germany's first reaction was to just tear down and destroy but they ultimately realized that wasn't the right path to go down.

• Plus1 2

40 minutes ago, Enhance said:

Agreed. I guess I said 'many cases' but really I just think it comes down to what's necessary. Do we need to preserve every statue of a Confederate Civil War general? No. But, I think there should be honest conversations about what should be done with them as opposed to just destroying them without a second thought.

Also, it's just a statue. We can make another one and put it in a museum.

40 minutes ago, Enhance said:

Germany is a fascinating case study on this FWIW. Spent some time studying it in college. Nazism is far more taboo in their culture than the Confederacy has been in ours; but, they're still preserving that history, showing it in museums, teaching it in schools, etc. It's a painful topic to embrace but they eventually embraced it. Germany's first reaction was to just tear down and destroy but they ultimately realized that wasn't the right path to go down.

I agree that it's more important to teach and understand history including the painful and uncomfortable parts.

13 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I wonder why they didn't bulldoze Auschwitz immediately but I'm glad they didn't.

Isn't that the one that the allies forced the locals to tour it and see what was going on?  I believe once the German people knew exactly what it was, they decided it should stay there so people remember and hopefully it never happens again.  

Yes....I'm glad they did.  I would love to tour it, but the two times I have been in Germany, it's been with my wife and she has no desire.

It seems like if it was in America, they might have left one building and then erected 10 statues of the people who ran it.

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

Isn't that the one that the allies forced the locals to tour it and see what was going on?  I believe once the German people knew exactly what it was, they decided it should stay there so people remember and hopefully it never happens again.  

Yes....I'm glad they did.  I would love to tour it, but the two times I have been in Germany, it's been with my wife and she has no desire.

It seems like if it was in America, they might have left one building and then erected 10 statues of the people who ran it.

I didn't know they did that. It's actually in Poland. I was somewhat close to there but I was with a friend who won't even talk about death so I would have had to go alone. I'd like to see.

And ya... I kind of like the comparison. I think it's ok to show the s#!tty things the bad people did but not leave up statues glorifying the people who did them. I was reading a little about confederate statues and a lot of them were made in the 1950s and 1960s so it's not like they have a lot of historical value, and people should have been anti slavery by then.

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

Yeah, the camp is in Poland...and I think Patton might have done one of those forced tours...

This is a great watch.  Oprah does an incredible job of just letting her silent pauses really make an impact and she asks such innocent questions which I think makes it even better.

1 hour ago, Moiraine said:

I didn't know they did that. It's actually in Poland. I was somewhat close to there but I was with a friend who won't even talk about death so I would have had to go alone. I'd like to see.

And ya... I kind of like the comparison. I think it's ok to show the s#!tty things the bad people did but not leave up statues glorifying the people who did them. I was reading a little about confederate statues and a lot of them were made in the 1950s and 1960s so it's not like they have a lot of historical value, and people should have been anti slavery by then.

There's a good scene about this in Band of Brothers. If you haven't watched it, I highly recommend you do.

On 6/24/2020 at 2:53 PM, RedDenver said:

I somewhat agree, but we also don't need every statue in order to remember the past.

But they did name bases after those who served in the Nazi military... They just recently seemed to have removed some or all of those names.

From a 2017 Aticle

German army to drop Nazi names from barracks more than 70 years after end of World War Two

Germany’s defence minister has called for the names of Nazi-era figures to be removed from military barracks.

While there are no modern German barracks named after major Nazi war criminals such as Hitler or Hermann Göring, several are still named after military figures from the Third Reich.

The minister’s initiative comes after a far-Right terror cell was uncovered within the German army. Two soldiers have been arrested on suspicion of planning to carry out a “false flag” terror attack and blame it on refugees, including an officer who led a double life posing as a Syrian asylum-seeker.