Jump to content

The George Floyd/Black Lives Matter protests and police conduct


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, RedDenver said:

In which Archy pretends not to understand how a 26 year veteran of the police force accidentally shooting and killing a person has no implications on how everyday people would use a gun.

In which Goalposts pretends that when an officer mistakes a taser with a gun  in the line of duty in any way affects a citizen who DOESNT carry a taser and handgun making the same mistake :dunno

  • Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
Link to post

  • Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Welcome to why nobody knew.             Sorry....couldn't resist.

Protestors in Downtown Des Moines asked officers to take a knee with them for 2 minutes and they'd then leave and abide by the 9pm curfew that was enacted today. Officers agreed and it was 2 minutes o

Saying "I'm your Huckleberry" over and over again to no one in particular.

Posted Images

If the solution to gun violence is more guns, and well-trained people will make the right decision in the heat of the moment with their guns, then let's have more guns, as gun advocates want.

 

Except this cop's mistake proves that no amount of training eliminates mistakes, and shows that the answer to America's gun problem is not more guns, but fewer. 

 

 

  • Plus1 1
Link to post
20 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

I half Agree with your officer take which was part of the equation , however, he also bears responsibility for taking off when under arrest.  He’s most likely alive today if he gets cuffed and put into the squad car. 

I have to agree.  The officer's mistake was a major part of it.  But, none of that happens if he doesn't try escaping.

 

21 hours ago, Ulty said:

I'm no expert on handguns or tasers, but every police officer I have ever met has their gun and their tasers or any other equipment on completely different parts of their uniforms. Tasers and guns don't look the same, and I imagine they don't feel the same, either. I simply can't fathom not being able to tell the difference, especially for a trained officer.

 

I've been sitting here thinking, why don't they make the taser a completely different color, like bright orange or something so when it's drawn, the officer can clearly see that it's taser or a gun?

 

Unfortunately, I remember an incident sometime before where this supposedly happened.

  • Plus1 1
Link to post
5 minutes ago, knapplc said:

If the solution to gun violence is more guns, and well-trained people will make the right decision in the heat of the moment with their guns, then let's have more guns, as gun advocates want.

 

Except this cop's mistake proves that no amount of training eliminates mistakes, and shows that the answer to America's gun problem is not more guns, but fewer. 

 

 

Probably a discussion for the other thread. I get the point, but it doesn't pertain to this one.

3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I have to agree.  The officer's mistake was a major part of it.  But, none of that happens if he doesn't try escaping.

 

 

I've been sitting here thinking, why don't they make the taser a completely different color, like bright orange or something so when it's drawn, the officer can clearly see that it's taser or a gun?

 

Unfortunately, I remember an incident sometime before where this supposedly happened.

I think the tazers are generally yellow in color.

  • Plus1 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post

Yeah, as you all know I am not a gun guy, not at all.

 

But the problem here was not the gun, it was trying to escape from 3 cops.

 

That dude is cuffed and in the back on the cop car on the way to the station if he just chills out.

 

With that said, getting rid of all the guns is fine with me!  Or at the very least, single shot manual  reload only.  

  • Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post

Just now, teachercd said:

Yeah, as you all know I am not a gun guy, not at all.

 

But the problem here was not the gun, it was trying to escape from 3 cops.

 

That dude is cuffed and in the back on the cop car on the way to the station if he just chills out.

 

With that said, getting rid of all the guns is fine with me!  Or at the very least, single shot manual  reload only.  

 

He isn't dead because he tried to escape from three cops. He's dead because he got shot.

 

The problem is how our police are trained to deal with situations like this. 

 

This sort of thing simply doesn't happen in other countries with different gun cultures. 

  • Plus1 1
Link to post
2 minutes ago, knapplc said:

 

He isn't dead because he tried to escape from three cops. He's dead because he got shot.

 

The problem is how our police are trained to deal with situations like this. 

 

This sort of thing simply doesn't happen in other countries with different gun cultures. 

I have to say that I don't agree with this.  I'm not for law enforcement not carrying a weapon.  So, I don't see how getting rid of civilian guns would affect this particular situation.  

 

Now.....better training?  Sure.

  • Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Just now, BigRedBuster said:

I have to say that I don't agree with this.  I'm not for law enforcement not carrying a weapon.  So, I don't see how getting rid of civilian guns would affect this particular situation.  

 

Now.....better training?  Sure.

 

Fleeing to avoid arrest shouldn't result in a person's death. Just like in a high-speed pursuit the police will slow down & back off, "live to fight another day," as it were, shows that shooting something - anything - at this person was not the best solution here. 

 

That a taser, or in some instances a gun, is a primary go-to choice for America's police force is a problem. That training led to this guy's death. 

  • Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
17 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I've been sitting here thinking, why don't they make the taser a completely different color, like bright orange or something so when it's drawn, the officer can clearly see that it's taser or a gun?

 

 

Here's a picture of the officer with her taser. It's quite obviously a different color than her sidearm. 

 

10511164_041221-kabc-kim-potter-minnesot

 

 

  • Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post

2 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Why not, if you are going to shoot, just shoot for the leg?  I know crap about shooting guns but when you are that close, why not just aim down and shoot the leg?

 

With a taser, presumably you have to aim for center mass to make sure you have as much opportunity to hit the target as possible. 

 

And I'm with @knapplc; there's no excuse for a 20+ year member of a force, one who was responsible for training other officers, to not know the different between where her service pistol is located at on her hip, and where her taser is located. 

  • Plus1 3
Link to post
4 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Why not, if you are going to shoot, just shoot for the leg?  I know crap about shooting guns but when you are that close, why not just aim down and shoot the leg?

 

I agree that seems like a good idea, but in a high-stress moment you're better off shooting at center mass. @BIGREDIOWAN I believe has mentioned that this is standard training, and I agree.

 

If you have to shoot, shoot to put down, not wound. You wound a guy, especially someone jacked up on the drugs, they're just going to shoot you back.

 

 

Link to post
1 minute ago, Cdog923 said:

 

With a taser, presumably you have to aim for center mass to make sure you have as much opportunity to hit the target as possible. 

 

And I'm with @knapplc; there's no excuse for a 20+ year member of a force, one who was responsible for training other officers, to not know the different between where her service pistol is located at on her hip, and where her taser is located. 

Yeah, sounds like a crazy excuse to me.  I would think a gun is way heavier as well but I have never held a taser.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Just now, knapplc said:

 

I agree that seems like a good idea, but in a high-stress moment you're better off shooting at center mass. @BIGREDIOWAN I believe has mentioned that this is standard training, and I agree.

 

If you have to shoot, shoot to put down, not wound. You wound a guy, especially someone jacked up on the drugs, they're just going to shoot you back.

 

 

Yeah, that might be true.  I was not really thinking of the person being all doped up.  

Link to post
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.






×
×
  • Create New...