Police Reform

6 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Why can they be turned off? Just make ones that are always recording except when they're taken off and placed in the charger back in the precinct.

There have also been a lot of people saying they've seen them taped over.

7 hours ago, BlitzFirst said:

I'd argue that there are even less good cops than you allege.

Point me to a good cop and I'll ask them "hey, how many bad cops have you reported?"

Most wouldn't reply at all.

That means they allow bad cops to continue doing bad and don't challenge them.  As the saying goes:

XK8C1bk.png

if we want to reform police, we need to realize that good cops are so rare they are like unicorns because the culture is 'brother/sisterhood" and no one 'tattles' on their brother/sister.  That idea has to go.

As I said, there are even fewer good cops than you allege because of their culture and silence. 

I'm sorry, but this is complete garbage...........

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
18 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/crime/article243234261.html

Stuff like this shouldn't happen EVER.  79 times in 3.5 years and still on the force?  What kept him on?  Union rep?  Union lawyer?  No reports from 'good cops' and just suspicion from IA?

This is what I'm talking about @BIGREDIOWAN , the culture has to change...the culture is to not report wrongdoers because of the blue brother/sisterhood...and if they do get reported...you kick the can down the street and keep them on the force.

It's wrong...no matter how you spin it.

You might not be like that, your dept. might not be like that...and that's cool.  But this is how it is systemically in the US. 

I posted about this already and he already replied to it. Police have to use force sometimes. It doesn't mean they are doing something wrong. We don't know exactly what situations he was dealing with or in what situations they review use of force. And the fact is they were reviewed. If there's a problem it's whether he should have been punished and what the punishment is. But without knowing the details we can't really make a judgement on what it should be.

• Fire 1
2 hours ago, RedDenver said:

Why can they be turned off? Just make ones that are always recording except when they're taken off and placed in the charger back in the precinct.

So, an officer can't go to the bathroom, or have a meal with their family without turning off the cam...?

• Fire 1
12 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

Either way, 79 accusations in 3 years means desk job.

He was out on the street.

We don't really know what that # means without context. It's basically 1 incident every 2 weeks. But we don't know how many they have to review. What if it's every single time a police officer has to grapple with a suspect?

I mean, the guy looks like an a$$h@!e in the incident we see but we don't have enough evidence to be sure it should have been prevented based on his previous actions.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, BIGREDIOWAN said:

I'm sorry, but this is complete garbage...........

Is it?   Take it from an outsider who’s normally pro-police but I’m sorry, the police profession is looking pretty pathetic right now.  Probably unfairly.  But now with cameras everywhere, the ugly side of the badge is rearing it’s head.  That’s not changing.   PO’s better get used to it.  I get we’re just seeing some of the bad stuff that social media loves and there’s a lot of great cops doing good that doesn’t get the attention it deserves.   But there’s clearly a lot of cops that have no business wearing a badge.  I’d say it’s entirely believable that a “code “ exists regarding reporting bad apple’s.  Maybe not so much in smaller communities, but definitely in larger places.  It’s unfortunate because it’s unfair to good cops.  

• Plus1 1

6 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

Is it?   Take it from an outsider who’s normally pro-police but I’m sorry, the police profession is looking pretty pathetic right now.  Probably unfairly.  But now with cameras everywhere, the ugly side of the badge is rearing it’s head.  That’s not changing.   PO’s better get used to it.  I get we’re just seeing some of the bad stuff that social media loves and there’s a lot of great cops doing good that doesn’t get the attention it deserves.   But there’s clearly a lot of cops that have no business wearing a badge.  I’d say it’s entirely believable that a “code “ exists regarding reporting bad apple’s.  Maybe not so much in smaller communities, but definitely in larger places.  It’s unfortunate because it’s unfair to good cops.  

Would you say that "good cops are so rare they are like unicorns" ?

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, BlitzFirst said:

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/crime/article243234261.html

Stuff like this shouldn't happen EVER.  79 times in 3.5 years and still on the force?  What kept him on?  Union rep?  Union lawyer?  No reports from 'good cops' and just suspicion from IA?

This is what I'm talking about @BIGREDIOWAN , the culture has to change...the culture is to not report wrongdoers because of the blue brother/sisterhood...and if they do get reported...you kick the can down the street and keep them on the force.

It's wrong...no matter how you spin it.

You might not be like that, your dept. might not be like that...and that's cool.  But this is how it is systemically in the US. 

Maybe read my reply to Moiraine a few posts back before you call me out? Maybe that'll help clarify a few things for you. 

1 hour ago, Decoy73 said:

It sure is because he's basically saying that there a hardly any good cops and mainly all of us are bad so I take offense to that and I'll call it what it is. Complete and utter bulls#!t! 

2 hours ago, DevoHusker said:

So, an officer can't go to the bathroom, or have a meal with their family without turning off the cam...?

He’s saying right in the post you’re quoting to turn them off when back at the precinct. It wouldn’t apply to having a meal with the family. But the bathroom thing is a good point.

My original thought was they should not have it off when on duty. Not take away the ability to turn it off but there need to be repercussions if it’s turned off to hide something. 

3 hours ago, BlitzFirst said:

Either way, 79 accusations in 3 years means desk job.

He was out on the street.

Don't talk out your a$$, read BRI's response earlier about his 79 uses of force.

Where the hell did you get the word 'accusations' from? You threw that in there on your own.

• Fire 1