Police Reform

5 minutes ago, Husker_Bohunk said:

I'm on disability due to a seizure disorder but we can talk about that all you like. Prior to the seizure disorder I drove for a living. I'll gladly answer any questions you'd like to ask.

That said, my question to BRI was a fair one because he inserted himself into this thread.

Disagree but you're entitled to your opinion I suppose. And just because I posted in this thread doesn't mean you get to take your anti-cop B.S. out on me. 

• Plus1 2

16 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

@BIGREDIOWAN what do you think of the idea of busting up police unions?

It's an idea that's getting a lot of traction.

I'm not in a union since I'm a supervisor and can instill discipline, but I think that's a double edged sword. There's ALOT of police departments, sheriff's offices, state patrols, etc that would treat their officers VERY poorly if they weren't there. Wages are already pretty pitiful in most places around the country for this line of work and it would only get worse. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
Just now, Husker_Bohunk said:

Your answer is a prime example of the attitude almost every cop has that they don't have to answer to anyone.

No matter what answer he gave you were going to respond with something like this. You're not here to discuss or debate in good faith.

And you're attacking the poster, which is against board rules.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, Husker_Bohunk said:

Your answer is a prime example of the attitude almost every cop has that they don't have to answer to anyone.

How many times during just these protests have your brothers and sisters crossed the line with peaceful protestors?

Exactly how I knew you'd answer which is why I mentioned it before you even responded. Lol

I'm off soooo I'm a private citizen right now and I DON'T have to answer any questions you ask. I would've answered it if you weren't just cop hating at this point. I'll type it in CAPS so you'll see better this time,  "I CAN ANSWER IT" but I'm choosing not to cause you won't listen to the answer anyways.  

• Plus1 1

7 minutes ago, Husker_Bohunk said:

I've made no attack on BRI. I've asked him the same question I've asked dozens and dozens of officers over the years. Some answer, some don't.

Maybe you're not the one here to discuss in good faith? You don't seem to want to hear my viewpoints w/o calling them "attacks." Or maybe we can all just understand that this issue is a huge hot button across America right now?

When you assume that his choosing not to answer you on a message board means that he has the same attitude as not having to answer to anyone, then you're attacking him.

And if you were listening and reading, then you'd know that he's already given his opinion that there needs to be police reform, so your assumption is wrong.

16 minutes ago, Husker_Bohunk said:

How many times during just these protests have your brothers and sisters crossed the line with peaceful protestors?

This tangent has gone on long enough, I'll only be responding to posts about the topic. If you want to rage further, take it to the 'Shed.

11 hours ago, Moiraine said:

Would you say that "good cops are so rare they are like unicorns" ?

I wouldn't.  But I guess it depends on how you define a "good cop".  If it's one who has never done anything immoral or questionable in the slightest or has never taken liberties and cut corners with important aspects of their profession.  Then I would say that good (insert any profession) are so rare they are like unicorns.  

Cops are human and just as imperfect as the rest of us.  But I think we'd all agree that its time they start policing their own a lot better than they currently do.  I'm hopeful that with all the events of the past week, that will begin to happen.

• Plus1 1
15 minutes ago, Husker_Bohunk said:

I've made no attack on BRI. I've asked him the same question I've asked dozens and dozens of officers over the years. Some answer, some don't.

Maybe you're not the one here to discuss in good faith? You don't seem to want to hear my viewpoints w/o calling them "attacks." Or maybe we can all just understand that this issue is a huge hot button across America right now?

But you're trying to spin it that I'm not answering it because I've never done it, or I'm covering something up which isn't correct. Your post in the Woodshed said there are NO good cops, I take EXTREME offense to that and have every right to! You're line of thinking is just as bad as the "other sides" line of thinking! Both sides need to shut their mouths and open their ears and minds! Only then can we begin to make progress!

• Plus1 2
5 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

I wouldn't.  But I guess it depends on how you define a "good cop".  If it's one who has never done anything immoral or questionable in the slightest or has never taken liberties and cut corners with important aspects of their profession.  Then I would say that good (insert any profession) are so rare they are like unicorns.  

Cops are human and just as imperfect as the rest of us.  But I think we'd all agree that its time they start policing their own a lot better than they currently do.  I'm hopeful that with all the events of the past week, that will begin to happen.

The post you were quoting that you argued wasn’t garbage said “good cops are so rare they are like unicorns.” That was one part of what made it “garbage.” I think your post was fine but when you started it off that way it made it sound like you agreed with the whole thing.

1 hour ago, Danny Bateman said:

police unions have to go to bat for the worst of the worst and wind up defending the very behavior we're trying to eliminate.

The way I see unions, they don't HAVE to defend bad behavior. What unions are supposed to do is make sure their members have fair representations and that they are afforded due process and whatever rights they are entitled to.

But when it comes to bad behavior, unions and union reps too often to defend and allow misconduct instead of looking at that same misconduct and realizing that it makes all of them look bad and can jeopardize their very positions. That sort of union representation does not protect your line of work at all. 

• Plus1 3