Police Reform

1 hour ago, Moiraine said:

The post you were quoting that you argued wasn’t garbage said “good cops are so rare they are like unicorns.” That was one part of what made it “garbage.” I think your post was fine but when you started it off that way it made it sound like you agreed with the whole thing.

Well I missed it.  I went back and re-read it and yep, there it was.  Must have skimmed over it the first time.  But, no I don't agree with that statement.  I do agree, however, that in some jurisdictions there is an existent, official or not, of a "brotherhood/sisterhood" among LEO's that operates under unwritten rules regarding calling out and/or reporting bad behavior.  It's actually as plain as day.  All of the video's we've witnessed this week confirm it.  That's the part of the post I was referring to.

2 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

Well I missed it.  I went back and re-read it and yep, there it was.  Must have skimmed over it the first time.  But, no I don't agree with that statement.  I do agree, however, that in some jurisdictions there is an existent, official or not, of a "brotherhood/sisterhood" among LEO's that operates under unwritten rules regarding calling out and/or reporting bad behavior.  It's actually as plain as day.  All of the video's we've witnessed this week confirm it.  That's the part of the post I was referring to.

Yes I agree it exists but we don't know to what level. Enough that it has to be addressed. And instead of addressing it our leadership wants to imprison, maim, or kill the protesters they're pretending are terrorists.

• Plus1 1

Why It’s So Rare For Police Officers To Face Legal Consequences

On Friday, former Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin was arrested and charged with third-degree murder and second-degree manslaughter after he was caught on video pressing his knee on George Floyd’s neck for nearly nine minutes, even though Floyd told him repeatedly he couldn’t breathe. And now Minnesota Attorney General Keith Ellison is adding a second-degree murder charge, in addition to charging the three officers who were on the scene when Floyd was killed.

The fact that Chauvin was charged at all was significant. The elevation of the charges — and the fact that the other three officers are also being charged — is even more so. That’s because it’s still quite rare for police officers to be prosecuted. A review of the data we have on police prosecutions shows that it’s uncommon for police officers to face any kind of legal consequences — let alone be convicted — for committing fatal violence against civilians.

How The Police See Issues Of Race And Policing

One important difference between the protests that have spread across the country for the past nine days and nights and other protest movements is their subject. The demonstrators who have taken to the streets in response to the killing of George Floyd by Minneapolis police officers are protesting against police violence and the inequities of the criminal justice system, which as others have pointed out, call into question the role and neutrality of the law enforcement personnel who patrol those streets. The police officers firing tear gas, pepper spray and rubber bullets — and generally roughing up protesters — have seemed in many ways like counterprotesters more than peacekeepers.

In fact, a majority of America’s police officers strongly disagree with the core arguments of the protests. And that’s probably related to the fact that the police and the protesters are much different from each other in terms of politics and demographics. And these underlying differences over identity, politics and policy are creating a toxic and potentially dangerous dynamic as the protests continue.

• Plus1 1

9 hours ago, BIGREDIOWAN said:

But you're trying to spin it that I'm not answering it because I've never done it, or I'm covering something up which isn't correct. Your post in the Woodshed said there are NO good cops, I take EXTREME offense to that and have every right to! You're line of thinking is just as bad as the "other sides" line of thinking! Both sides need to shut their mouths and open their ears and minds! Only then can we begin to make progress!

This is what we are talking about. These selfish a$$h@!e cops in Buffalo are there for each other and that’s it.  The entire emergency response department resigning.  What a bunch of cowards.  So much for protecting the public.  

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/05/us/buffalo-police-suspension-shoving-man-trnd/index.html

1 hour ago, Decoy73 said:

This is what we are talking about. These selfish a$$h@!e cops in Buffalo are there for each other and that’s it.  The entire emergency response department resigning.  What a bunch of cowards.  So much for protecting the public.  

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/05/us/buffalo-police-suspension-shoving-man-trnd/index.html

Who's "WE" and what are you trying to say? Are you also agreeing there's no good cops out there? Did you ask me my thoughts on that situation in Buffalo or did you just assume what I would say? Quoting my posts and then linking it to this article is confusing as I'm not sure what you're getting at here? 

19 minutes ago, BIGREDIOWAN said:

Who's "WE" and what are you trying to say? Are you also agreeing there's no good cops out there? Did you ask me my thoughts on that situation in Buffalo or did you just assume what I would say? Quoting my posts and then linking it to this article is confusing as I'm not sure what you're getting at here? 

Sorry for the confusion.  I should have been more specific.  I'm definitely not agreeing that there are no good cops out there.  Earlier when I believe BlitzFirst was essentially suggesting a "code" or "Brotherhood" exists among police that makes it difficult for good cops to call out bad cops.  Well, the situation in Buffalo, NY is a perfect example.  The following  questions are not directed to you personally, because for all I know you could be a great cop.  You need not answer them, but can if you want.   But these are some of questions I and probably a lot of us (non-LEO's) have.

Why didn't any of those cops help that man or confront the coward who pushed him to the ground.  Why didn't those other three officers stop Chauvin from killing George Floyd.  Why do other cops witness bad behavior like an officer shooting reporters with rubber bullets and do nothing to stop it.  Why when my burglar alarm went off two years ago (false alarm) did it take the Omaha Police 32 min to respond, but when a "help an officer' call goes out, Cops seemingly come out of the woodwork and are all over the place.  Why did the first responding OPD officer to the Von Maur Shooting refuse to go in alone, citing a then dept policy of waiting for backup.  A couragous Douglas County Deputy then went in on his own, because people needed help--Police depts need more of those guys.  

I have a very strong opinion that too often police are more concerned with protecting their own than serving the public.  I would say this much more rampant in large municipal departments than smaller ones, but that's just a guess.  There's clearly a systematic failure here.  Bad leadership?  Existence of Police Unions?  Major changes need to happen.  I used to trust Cops,  now I'm not so sure.

• Plus1 2

@BIGREDIOWAN Just wanted to say that I appreciate you participating in this discussion even though some are making it difficult and probably making you wonder why you’re doing it. I know you’re getting asked a lot of questions and having BS accusations lobbed your way. Sorry about that. But I have a question. If you’ve already fielded this one, I’ve missed it. What suggestions do you have for the best way to solve some of these issues? Maybe just 2 or 3 ways you see that would help fix/correct the systemic culture in many of these police departments and the best ways you see to drum out the bad cops and attract good ones? Okay that’s more like a few questions :lol: but you’re sort of the resident expert here and I’m guessing you have more knowledgeable insight than most of us armchair would be reformers.

• Plus1 1
18 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

Sorry for the confusion.  I should have been more specific.  I'm definitely not agreeing that there are no good cops out there.  Earlier when I believe BlitzFirst was essentially suggesting a "code" or "Brotherhood" exists among police that makes it difficult for good cops to call out bad cops.  Well, the situation in Buffalo, NY is a perfect example.  The following  questions are not directed to you personally, because for all I know you could be a great cop.  You need not answer them, but can if you want.   But these are some of questions I and probably a lot of us (non-LEO's) have.

Why didn't any of those cops help that man or confront the coward who pushed him to the ground.  Why didn't those other three officers stop Chauvin from killing George Floyd.  Why do other cops witness bad behavior like an officer shooting reporters with rubber bullets and do nothing to stop it.  Why when my burglar alarm went off two years ago (false alarm) did it take the Omaha Police 32 min to respond, but when a "help an officer' call goes out, Cops seemingly come out of the woodwork and are all over the place.  Why did the first responding OPD officer to the Von Maur Shooting refuse to go in alone, citing a then dept policy of waiting for backup.  A couragous Douglas County Deputy then went in on his own, because people needed help--Police depts need more of those guys.  

I have a very strong opinion that too often police are more concerned with protecting their own than serving the public.  I would say this much more rampant in large municipal departments than smaller ones, but that's just a guess.  There's clearly a systematic failure here.  Bad leadership?  Existence of Police Unions?  Major changes need to happen.  I used to trust Cops,  now I'm not so sure.

https://www.simplypsychology.org/asch-conformity.html

Here is why.