Police Reform

1 hour ago, BIGREDIOWAN said:

https://news.yahoo.com/3-officers-were-hospitalized-unknown-040635182.html

This is B.S. and I hope the people responsible are charged! :steam

And I had WAYYYYY more than 21 weeks of training, but let's continue to paint with that broad brush......:facepalm:

Agreed. Attempted murder hopefully.

Snooes gives this a mixture rating for truthfulness.

[quote}However, according to data compiled by the federal Bureau of Justice Statistics, the average basic training for a police officer in the U.S. in 2013 was 843 hours, or around 21 weeks (based on a 40-hour work week). However, this figure encompasses only classroom instruction, with the average field training consisting of another 521 hours, or about 13 weeks. This means that, on average, the training time required to become a police officer in the United States in 2013 was 34 weeks, or just short of nine months.[/quote]

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/police-training-killings-usa-nordic/

• Plus1 1

41 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

Is it so hard to ask for police to have integrity and actually protect and serve the public instead of the opposite?  sheesh.

Just a friendly reminder that 99.9% of us do ;)......is it so hard to remind some in the public to not paint us with a broad brush and claim that we're all bad because of a few? 

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
On 6/15/2020 at 9:36 PM, BlitzFirst said:

iBMl4GR.png

It. Just. Needs. To. Change.

I 100% believe that police training and standards for entry should be heavily evaluated and, in many cases, reformed.

But, I think this graphic is a tad lazy. Its sole point is to suggest that more police training = less fatalities, with some indirect insinuations to George Floyd. I think that this is probably true in a general sense but not in the direct context this graphic is trying to suggest.

Of the more than 1,000 people killed by police in 2019, many of those were suicide by cops, shootouts with hardened criminals, etc. People unfairly brutalized, restrained and murdered in the way George Floyd was only make up one piece of the puzzle. So while I think it's important to address the problems within law enforcement that lead to the inexcusable deaths, we can't ignore the fact that we have a lot of challenges in America that other countries simply don't have to deal with. I'm looking specifically at our gun laws, gun philosophies and mental health situation. Those, in my opinion, are just as serious of concerns as anything else.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
On 6/15/2020 at 11:25 AM, RedDenver said:

I have no clue who she is but I do know that trying to make a word mean something it doesn't is not a good idea.  They f#&%ed up when they started using the word "defund" and instead of just changing the word choice they have tried changing the meaning.  Just own up that you the word you picked was wrong...morons.

13 minutes ago, BIGREDIOWAN said:

Just a friendly reminder that 99.9% of us do ;)......is it so hard to remind some in the public to not paint us with a broad brush and claim that we're all bad because of a few? 

I agree with your sentiment, but I think we've seen that it's more than just a few. I hope there's good cops out there doing what they can to help get this broken system fixed, but I think there needs to be a major overhaul of the system and it's going to need to mostly come from us citizens to push hard enough to get the wheels moving.

14 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I 100% believe that police training and standards for entry should be heavily evaluated and, in many cases, reformed.

But, I think this graphic is a tad lazy. Its sole point is to suggest that more police training = less fatalities, with some indirect insinuations to George Floyd. I think that this is probably true in a general sense but not in the direct context this graphic is trying to suggest.

Of the more than 1,000 people killed by police in 2019, many of those were suicide by cops, shootouts with hardened criminals, etc. People unfairly brutalized, restrained and murdered in the way George Floyd was only make up one piece of the puzzle. So while I think it's important to address the problems within law enforcement that lead to the inexcusable deaths deaths, we can't ignore the fact that we have a lot of challenges in America that other countries simply don't have to deal with. I'm looking specifically at our gun laws, gun philosophies and mental health situation. Those, in my opinion, are just as serious of concerns as anything else.

And what do those countries have in common in terms of gun rights?  I have no idea if you can have guns in Finland or Norway...