Police Reform

5 minutes ago, BIGREDIOWAN said:

But obviously higher than 40% right.............;) 

Yup.

I feel like it should be made a lot easier to do the right thing. I.e. not get fired for "betraying" other police officers. I think it's easy to say you'd step in but everyone has to reach a certain line before they're willing to lose their job over something.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

The majority of cops I know, and I imagine the majority of cops in general, are relatively normal people with a remarkably difficult job. 

There's many aspects of the difficulty of that job. There's PTSD possibilities, seeing some really absolutely awful s#!t over and over and over again. There's the intoxicating temptation of power and abusing that power, which all human beings are susceptible to (Stanford Prison Experiment). There's also wanting to do what's right, but having to provide for yourself and your family and also be a team player and belong to your tribe can make doing what's 'right' very difficult when confronted with your peers doing what's wrong. 

There's also the reality that systems take on their own personas independent of the people who comprise them. 

That's why more police should be in favor of 'defunding' the police imo. The point of that is that our society asks police to do too much that they aren't equipped for. Train them better, train them better for less and more specialized roles, and after you've trained them better for more specialized roles provide them more support for the struggles and horrors that come with the job. 

And also build more safeguards against abuse and corruption and accountability into the SYSTEM so that less individuals have to carry the burden of being rats/snitches/outcast/threatened for standing up against impropriety.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
8 hours ago, BlitzFirst said:

2 of my old college roommates are law enforcement.  One is State and one is Federal.  I love them like brothers and respect what they do.  I donate every year to the fraternal order of police (also other charities...I donate to firemen and veterans groups). 

I hate rights violations, violence of all kinds, and specifically rights violations and  violence perpetrated by the custodians we place in charge of making sure our rights are defended and violence isn't something we face all the time...and that's the police.

So no, I. do. not. hate. police.

As for your examples...

Ted Bundy, the police only received tips from his on again off again girlfriend and they had THOUSANDS to sort through...all before computers.  That's not letting him go.  That's having too much information and not enough people to process it.  Bundy did escape from the law office he was said to be studying for his defense after he was apprehended...but no one 'let him go'.

As for Dahmer, no crime was known to have been committed so police had no legal ability to arrest him and since he was able to convince them that his victim was his lover, they had no reason to arrest him.  They did not 'let him go' either.

Both situations above you mention as hyperbole and they aren't comparable at all to Brooks.

Hahaha!  This is AWESOME!

5 hours ago, BlitzFirst said:

For you folks, it's cops perpetrating violence = bad cop.

For my 40% figure...I define bad cop = Your definition above  + any cop who sees criminal/bad behavior from other cops and doesn't report it aka enables further criminal/bad behavior.

what folks are you talking aboout?

14 hours ago, Landlord said:

We've seen at least 500 instances in the last month of police escalating and  causing violence, at a time when you'd imagine they'd be coached into being on their BEST behavior. We've also probably seen the same amount of police  departments and officers on social media and in press conferences crying out that they're being oppressed.

Again, this is only the  stuff we've seen.How much more has happened when there wasn't video? How about when they're not under a microscope? 

14 hours ago, Moiraine said:

Agreed. I think 95% is probably high given these are only the ones caught on camera and you have to include police who either don't report anything or lie about it.

13 hours ago, Moiraine said:

I feel like it should be made a lot easier to do the right thing. I.e. not get fired for "betraying" other police officers. I think it's easy to say you'd step in but everyone has to reach a certain line before they're willing to lose their job over something.

Why are we even debating statistical assumptions nobody can verify?

Agreed with @Moiraine though - whistleblowing on your colleagues should not be frowned upon regardless of the profession. And particularly where police are concerned, there should be better independent review practices.

I'm not saying it's right to let bad cops roam free, but when it's your job/livelihood and you're in that situation, if you have a family, if you're fearful of retaliation, doing the right thing isn't exactly the easiest thing. It's not an excuse but it is an explanation.

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1
11 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

The ones who disagreed with me when I said there are few good cops and that 'good cops were like unicorns'.  It was an entire discussion in this thread that went on for days and you participated.

Did you forget that? 

Obviously, people disagreed with my definition of a bad cop or they wouldn't have argued.  It was these folks and their definitions I was referring to.

Broseph...you said it was a good thing that cops let Bundy and Dahmer go...sooooooo.

Relax, I am just messing with you.

52 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

Obviously, people disagreed with my definition of a bad cop or they wouldn't have argued.  It was these folks and their definitions I was referring to.

Are you sure that 'they' disagreed with your definition? Or maybe they disagreed with your guess at the rareness or percentages of good/bad cops.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 2