Police Reform

8 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

What type of bubble do you live in? You think that just because it is not a gun totin cop that stops these violent felony offenders that they wont assault/kill/flee? 

First, this is not something that happens regularly: traffic cop randomly pulls over bank robbers fleeing scene. Second, the unarmed transportation employee (UTE) could still run the vehicle's plates through the system, and then call in the police if there's a warrant or suspicion it's a bank robber or something. Third, if the city makes it well-known that the UTE will check their plates and call in the police only if there's something in the system, then the bank robbers will know that they're going to be given a ticket and let go if the UTE approaches the car, so the motivation for them to shoot the UTE is low.

Look, this may not work, but it seems like a reasonable enough thing to try. The police don't have to do everything that involves dealing with people on the off-chance they might be gun-wielding maniacs.

10 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

First, this is not something that happens regularly: traffic cop randomly pulls over bank robbers fleeing scene. Second, the unarmed transportation employee (UTE) could still run the vehicle's plates through the system, and then call in the police if there's a warrant or suspicion it's a bank robber or something. Third, if the city makes it well-known that the UTE will check their plates and call in the police only if there's something in the system, then the bank robbers will know that they're going to be given a ticket and let go if the UTE approaches the car, so the motivation for them to shoot the UTE is low.

Look, this may not work, but it seems like a reasonable enough thing to try. The police don't have to do everything that involves dealing with people on the off-chance they might be gun-wielding maniacs.

You are definitely a glass half full kind of guy. Kudos. You may be right, and I may be too pessimistic. I hope something can be done to increase the chances that NO ONE gets hurt during police/citizen interactions. In that we both agree.

I will say that on the off chance that a "gun wielding maniac" shoots/kills one of the UTE, everyone will blame the police.

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

You are definitely a glass half full kind of guy. Kudos. You may be right, and I may be too pessimistic. I hope something can be done to increase the chances that NO ONE gets hurt during police/citizen interactions. In that we both agree.

I will say that on the off chance that a "gun wielding maniac" shoots/kills one of the UTE, everyone will blame the police.

Haha, it's nice of you to say, but I'm pretty half empty.

I don't think anyone will blame the police. Do police get blamed for school shootings now?

I'm sure using UTE instead of police for traffic stops will become hotly debated though.

11 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I wonder how can we get to a point where we can have unarmed officers like other countries?

A LOT (metric sh*t ton approx) of guns would have to be cut up/melted down, and I don't see that on any near horizon. 

On 7/9/2020 at 9:18 AM, DevoHusker said:

It appears that they issued a retraction, but not because their data was wrong. Just that it is constantly being "misconstrued" for political purposes.

https://retractionwatch.com/2020/07/06/authors-of-study-on-race-and-police-killings-ask-for-its-retraction-citing-continued-misuse-in-the-media/

As Cesario and Johnson note, the article earned heavy criticism for its methodology. The article led to an exchange of letters in PNAS in January, and then in April, the journal issued a correction to the paper in which the authors acknowledged flaws in their analysis but stood by their central argument. 

That research appears in agreement with Roland Fryer's research at Harvard.  After Ferguson he wanted to find out how bad police racism was.  To his surprise he couldn't find any proof of racism when it came to lethal force but some indications when it came to non-lethal force.  Here's a video of him talking about the study.  

• Plus1 3

you guys will honestly not believe this but 

did you know in other countries most of the police aren't armed and it's totally fine? and way less people die at the hands of police? 

oh and also even more unrealistic other countries with less guns have way less gun deaths, even when controlled for population! no it's really actually true there's statistics and everything

• Plus1 2