Police Reform

9 minutes ago, commando said:

at first i thought that was a store camera that caught that...but that is someone filming it.  did they know ahead of time that there was going to be something worth filming there?  there was no shock reaction when the gunman started shooting that i noticed.

Oh, wow, I think you are right.  I thought it was store footage too.  

Lewis Hamilton is the main reason I got into F1 a little more than a decade ago. He takes a lot of flak for wearing his heart on his sleeve, particularly from the crowd of 'stick to racing and don't use the race/podium as a platform' folks, but I've always appreciated his willingness to do this kind of stuff. He did post-race interviews in a Breonna Taylor shirt yesterday and even spoke about her in part of his post-race commentary.

F1 is not an overly popular American sport, but it's hugely popular in other countries that may not be acutely aware of the BLM movement or some of the racial challenges happening in other countries. The entire F1 season has been dedicated to the #EndRacism movement with banners all over every single race. Lewis has a BLM logo on his crash helmet. So, I think it's fairly special/important to see things like this being talked about on an international platform.

• Thanks 1

https://www.startribune.com/mpls-council-members-press-chief-for-response-to-crime-wave/572422612/

According to police crime statistics through Sept. 9, serious crimes such as robbery, assault and burglary are above their five-year averages, with the exception of rapes and larcenies. The city’s 59 homicides have nearly doubled their year-to-date average since 2015, the statistics show.

• Plus1 1

“I’ve worked on a lot of different cases,” said Pete Kraska, a criminal justice expert and professor at Eastern Kentucky University’s School of Justice Studies. “I’ve not seen a settlement that included a set of reforms like this one did. I think it’s a good first step.”

https://apnews.com/2c14562279ae5f8e3eee2ab223c10bac 

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

But that fact does not fit the BLM mantra of racist white cops...:dunno

I think there definitely is some racism in all of this.  

But, there is also just military mentality in some(important word) police that make them feel like they can handle people and situations however they want. 

That is not limited to just white police officers.  

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1
58 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

First, it's possible to be racist towards any race including your own.

Second, BLM is protesting the police killing and targeting black people regardless of the race of the police officer.

To your first sentence, not according to the definition that I have seen on these very pages, along with many other discussions on social media. 

To your second sentence, that may be, and I understand those concerns, but again...that is not the way it is presented on a daily basis.

• Plus1 1