Police Reform

9 hours ago, DevoHusker said:

Perhaps you mean prejudiced ?

Nope, but you can also be prejudiced against any race.

To your first sentence, not according to the definition that I have seen on these very pages, along with many other discussions on social media. 

To your second sentence, that may be, and I understand those concerns, but again...that is not the way it is presented on a daily basis.

So what? There's lots of people that don't know what they're talking about.

• Plus1 1

10 hours ago, RedDenver said:

Nope, but you can also be prejudiced against any race.

So what? There's lots of people that don't know what they're talking about.

Got it. "RedDenver said so"...that will be my answer when asked or confronted. Thanks! (I am being facetious, of course)

You didn't explain above, but do you think it is possible for any race to be racist? And, if they are protesting the death of black citizens by cops of any color, then why is it always said to be about the "systemic racism and brutality agains POC in law enforcement"?

However, this was a good read on the subject https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/06/dictionary-definition-racism-has-change/613324/ 

• Plus1 1
On 9/20/2020 at 10:48 AM, BigRedBuster said:

Here is something I’ve find interesting.  

Many times black police officers are involved in these incidents of police killing black people. 

This isn't really directed at you BRB but more just a jumping off point for some thoughts.

I think you hit the nail on the head with your 'military' comments. That's not to discount the impact racism may explicitly have in law enforcement situations, but I think most cops are inherently dispositioned to align with one another much in the same way any of us may align with a group of people that we belong to whether it be a cultural group, a hobby group, a work group, etc.

I also don't think some officers connect with the people or community they're policing. They have a difficult job to do and I think that can sometimes dehumanize what they're doing. In those moments, things like race may not always be significantly contributing factors.

5 minutes ago, Enhance said:

They have a difficult job to do and I think that can sometimes dehumanize what they're doing

I think this is key to keep in mind.  I think back to when I was working in healthcare.  It's a very tough job when you have a bad day and maybe have multiple people die on your shift.  You dehumanize it internally.  Amazingly, nurses can still have a sense of humor on those days.

I think this might be similar to police.  If you work in an area that is high crime and you deal with it all the time, you dehumanize the people you are dealing with.  

That isn't an excuse for nurses not being as caring as you might think they should or police abusing people they deal with.  But, sometimes it's part of the cause of what we see happen.

• Plus1 3

14 minutes ago, ZRod said:

So... Maybe is a socioeconomic issue with how we/police view and treat people "below" our social class (not necessarily a racial issue)?

It's a little of Column A, a little of Column B. And probably Columns C through J thrown in for good measure.

There are racist cops, and there are socioeconomic issues, and there are education issues, and there's this whole decades-long issue with America's fascination with cops as heroes (often rogue heroes) in entertainment, etc.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

I'm not sure my post has much to do with social class.  It has more to do with what these people deal with on the job.

I didn't necessarily mean it as a rebuttal to your last post, but more so the last handful. This is an idea I've been marinating in my head for some time. I just haven't really said it here because I didn't want to deal with the blow back some will give it.

Funny side note to your post though... The fiancee came home a few weeks ago from her ICU job. I asked how her night went. She said in a somwhat cheery but mostly deadpan voice "It was a good night. No one died and I actually got to eat." I just busted out laughing a nurse's perspective is so much different than most of our's.

3 hours ago, DevoHusker said:

Got it. "RedDenver said so"...that will be my answer when asked or confronted. Thanks! (I am being facetious, of course)

I didn't think either point I made was in dispute. If you want a source for discussions of racism and antiracism, I recommend: https://www.american.edu/centers/antiracism/

You didn't explain above, but do you think it is possible for any race to be racist?

I wouldn't say an entire race is racist, but a person of any race can be racist towards any other race. And there can be systemic racism which is more about how the rules of a system are constructed and enforced in a way that advantages a race or disadvantages a race (could be more than one race in either case).

And, if they are protesting the death of black citizens by cops of any color, then why is it always said to be about the "systemic racism and brutality agains POC in law enforcement"?

I don't understand what you're trying to ask. The second half of the sentence answers the first half. As in: "systemic racism and brutality agains POC in law enforcement" results in "death of black citizens by cops of any color".

Yes, definitions of words evolve over time, so not surprising "racism" has also added new meanings. I'm not sure if you're trying to make a point here or just linking an interesting article.

4 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

I didn't think either point I made was in dispute. If you want a source for discussions of racism and antiracism, I recommend: https://www.american.edu/centers/antiracism/

I wouldn't say an entire race is racist, but a person of any race can be racist towards any other race. And there can be systemic racism which is more about how the rules of a system are constructed and enforced in a way that advantages a race or disadvantages a race (could be more than one race in either case).

I don't understand what you're trying to ask. The second half of the sentence answers the first half. As in: "systemic racism and brutality agains POC in law enforcement" results in "death of black citizens by cops of any color".

Yes, definitions of words evolve over time, so not surprising "racism" has also added new meanings. I'm not sure if you're trying to make a point here or just linking an interesting article.

Absolutely not trying to make a point. I thought it was interesting that there seem to be variations on the definition. 

Thanks for your insight, I will read the article you have attached. 

edit: that link appears to be a presentation for college educators. Not exactly what I had in mind.