Police Reform

1 hour ago, ZRod said:

Funny side note to your post though... The fiancee came home a few weeks ago from her ICU job. I asked how her night went. She said in a somwhat cheery but mostly deadpan voice "It was a good night. No one died and I actually got to eat." I just busted out laughing a nurse's perspective is so much different than most of our's.

Oh...I'm sure you get treated to some very special nurse attitude and sense of humor at times.

They are a special breed.  

Good thread

The one difficult or nuanced element of this is the mental illness situations that have the potential to become violent. I had a friend on Lincoln's police department for several years who said he couldn't count the number of times that there was a 'mental health' issue he responded to that had turned violent... even before he had time to get there.

I'm not sure how you sort those out or prepare for them. Leaving the decision up to a dispatcher seems like it would present some challenges, and how many mental health professionals in our country (including smaller communities) are available at a moment's notice to respond to a mental health call?

These aren't insurmountable problems or questions, but they do feel like really important ones.

• Plus1 3

Based on my understanding of what happened and the laws that were applied to the situation, I'm not surprised that this was the result.

The real trouble here is that these police officers were able to so monumentally botch the raid/investigation, kill an innocent woman, and now it appears virtually nobody will be held accountable to the extent that is deserved.

• Plus1 2
28 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

In what way? What charges did you feel were justified, if you have read up on the case?

They entered an apartment and shot an innocent person and killed them.

The only charge that was made was because they shot the wall where other people were behind that didn't get injured.

So....it's OK if they shoot an innocent person, but damn it...don't you dare shoot that wall.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

They entered an apartment and shot an innocent person and killed them.

The only charge that was made was because they shot the wall where other people were behind that didn't get injured.

So....it's OK if they shoot an innocent person, but damn it...don't you dare shoot that wall.

They entered with a valid "no knock" warrant, and were met by a man shooting at, and striking one of them. They returned fire, and the girlfriend of the shooter was struck and killed. How is this racially motivated and/or how were the officers "out to get" Taylor? It was a tragic ending that was precipitated by Taylor's boyfriend shooting a cop. 

The idiot officer spraying rounds through a patio door deserves all he gets. 

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

They entered with a valid "no knock" warrant, and were met by a man shooting at, and striking one of them. They returned fire, and the girlfriend of the shooter was struck and killed. How is this racially motivated and/or how were the officers "out to get" Taylor? It was a tragic ending that was precipitated by Taylor's boyfriend shooting a cop. 

The idiot officer spraying rounds through a patio door deserves all he gets. 

Is that really how it went down?  

40 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

In what way? What charges did you feel were justified, if you have read up on the case?

I'm not a lawyer and I don't know their state laws, but something more than "wanton endangerment" felt justified in this case IMO.

If we temporarily remove the fact that this was an officer-involved shooting, a robber doing exactly what these police officers did would've probably been charged with and convicted of murder. So, the question we have to ask ourselves is... are police protected from screwing up as badly as they did in this case? After yesterday's announcement, the answer appears to overwhelmingly be yes. They are protected even in the face of a monumental mistake that killed a woman needlessly.

• Plus1 1