Police Reform

3 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Is that really how it went down?  

The nuts and bolts are:

- Officers served a "legal" no-knock warrant, but the suspect they were looking for did not live at the location, so it was a monumental screw up on their part. No-knock warrants have since been banned there.

- They bust into the apartment and the boyfriend, acting in self-defense, shoots at officers (and it has since been ruled that the boyfriend acted in self-defense legally)

- Officers fired back, killing Breonna

• Plus1 1

3 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

They entered with a valid "no knock" warrant, and were met by a man shooting at, and striking one of them. They returned fire, and the girlfriend of the shooter was struck and killed. How is this racially motivated and/or how were the officers "out to get" Taylor? It was a tragic ending that was precipitated by Taylor's boyfriend shooting a cop. 

The idiot officer spraying rounds through a patio door deserves all he gets. 

I never said anything like the bold part above.

Living in Nebraska, I know one hell of a lot of people who claim that if you break into my house while I'm there, you're getting shot.  The person shooting at the cop is no different than what these people claim they will do.  He has the right to own a gun and defend himself like everyone else.  

He was not the cause of his girl friend getting killed.  It was total failure in a bad situation that the cops were in.

Now, if laws for these situations need to be changed, then that's where my "BS" is.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Enhance said:

The nuts and bolts are:

- Officers served a "legal" no-knock warrant, but the suspect they were looking for did not live at the location, so it was a monumental screw up on their part. No-knock warrants have since been banned there.

- They bust into the apartment and the boyfriend, acting in self-defense, shoots back at officers (and it has since been ruled that the boyfriend acted in self-defense legally)

Ahhh, got it, thanks!

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

Living in Nebraska, I know one hell of a lot of people who claim that if you break into my house while I'm there, you're getting shot.  The person shooting at the cop is no different than what these people claim they will do.  He has the right to own a gun and defend himself like everyone else.  

He was not the cause of his girl friend getting killed.  It was total failure in a bad situation that the cops were in.

Now, if laws for these situations need to be changed, then that's where my "BS" is.

So true!!  I swear some people in this state HOPE someone tries to break into their house.

8 minutes ago, Enhance said:

The nuts and bolts are:

- They bust into the apartment and the boyfriend, acting in self-defense, shoots at officers (and it has since been ruled that the boyfriend acted in self-defense legally)

The main suspect was arrested an a different location. They served 4 warrants at roughly the same time, due to a drug distribution ring. There were reports of drugs being delivered to Taylor's address. 

8 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Thanks for your view. The officers were still in the doorway, allegedly announcing they were police (differing witness accounts) when he fired on them. I disagree with the bold of your view. If the boyfriend hadn't fired first, she would not have been shot. 

I would imagine this will all be covered, for public consumption, in the civil trial. 

3 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

The main suspect was arrested an a different location. They served 4 warrants at roughly the same time, due to a drug distribution ring. There were reports of drugs being delivered to Taylor's address. 

That's where the situation admittedly gets a bit more hairy. But, I think it's pretty evident that incomplete/poor/fishy intelligence kickstarted a chain reaction of events that led to a woman being wrongfully killed. And the best we're legally able to do is 'wanton endangerment' and one officer losing their job? It just sucks that the wrong person was punished the most for that colossal failure.

• Plus1 2
23 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

Thanks for your view. The officers were still in the doorway, allegedly announcing they were police (differing witness accounts) when he fired on them. I disagree with the bold of your view. If the boyfriend hadn't fired first, she would not have been shot. 

I would imagine this will all be covered, for public consumption, in the civil trial. 

The only other account I've seen is a witness who says he heard them shout "police" one time.  It's night time, they were asleep and probably never even heard the shout. Walker says he and Breonna were shouting who is it after they heard  banging on the door, but never got a response. 

Why are the cops serving a no-knock in plains clothes on a last know residence for her ex (who the cops were after) when all they did was see him leave with a package 3 months prior??? And to top it off her ex was already arrested earlier in the day! At a minimum who ever approved the raid should also be terminated along with the officers at the door, and I have no idea how a judge would approve that kind of warrant on such shakey evidence.

Not to mention the cops had body cams on them, but they're weren't recording. That should get you some kind of suspension as well for knowingly endangering your department. If I was the commander you better have a damn good excuse why you failed to collect evidence via the camera.

• Plus1 2

5 minutes ago, Enhance said:

That's where the situation admittedly gets a bit more hairy. But, I think it's pretty evident that incomplete/poor/fishy intelligence kickstarted a chain reaction of events that led to a woman being wrongfully killed. And the best we're legally able to do is 'wanton endangerment' and one officer losing their job? It just sucks that the wrong person was punished the most for that colossal failure.

I get that point of view. Another point of view is that the 3 officers at Taylor's apartment were not aware of the incomplete/poor/fishy intelligence, and were doing what a "reasonable person" would do. They had a valid warrant, announced their presence, and returned fire when fired upon. The cop that got shot and the other one in the doorway literally did nothing wrong. The 3rd officer spraying 16 rounds indiscriminately is an idiot. 

This would all be cleared up with body cam footage....too bad they weren't wearing any. Oh wait, one of them was...too bad it wasn't on.  

The incompetence of this police department is pretty apparent. Too bad it took someone losing a life for them to correct their absolutely dangerous practices. Wrong address, no drugs in the house, no illegal weapons in the house, BF was cleared of wrongdoing, no body cams on, one innocent person dead. 

• Plus1 2
17 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

I get that point of view. Another point of view is that the 3 officers at Taylor's apartment were not aware of the incomplete/poor/fishy intelligence, and were doing what a "reasonable person" would do. They had a valid warrant, announced their presence, and returned fire when fired upon. The cop that got shot and the other one in the doorway literally did nothing wrong. The 3rd officer spraying 16 rounds indiscriminately is an idiot. 

I would say they failed to properly identify themselves and their attire was questionable. A single shout of "police" at midnight isn't a good policy for identify yourself.

But yes, this speaks to the overall larger issue of how policy is failing our LEOs and endangering the public. That's really where BLM and police reform needs to head. This isn't just systematic racism, it's an overall policy issue of how the police departments approach their roll in society.

• Plus1 3
3 minutes ago, ZRod said:

This isn't just systematic racism, it's an overall policy issue of how the police departments approach their roll in society.

It's just wild to me that this much effort went into trying to find a delivered package of drugs that may or may not have been sent to the ex of criminal. You have the guy in custody, why do you need to barge into the house of someone in the middle of the night, no body cams on and risk this much, for the possibility of a package of drugs. The same f#&%ing thing couldn't be accomplished in broad daylight, with body cams on, and a knock at the door? 

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

It's just wild to me that this much effort went into trying to find a delivered package of drugs that may or may not have been sent to the ex of criminal. You have the guy in custody, why do you need to barge into the house of someone in the middle of the night, no body cams on and risk this much, for the possibility of a package of drugs. The same f#&%ing thing couldn't be accomplished in broad daylight, with body cams on, and a knock at the door? 

Absolutely do not disagree. But that is an Admin level decision, and should be addressed at that level. 

I completely understand that there's some f#'d up stuff here, but don't think the response and riots are justified.

Imagine what will happen if the Floyd grand jury reaches a similar finding for 3 of the 4 cops there. Chauvin deserves full prosecution, imo.