Police Reform

2 hours ago, DevoHusker said:

Absolutely do not disagree. But that is an Admin level decision, and should be addressed at that level. 

I completely understand that there's some f#'d up stuff here, but don't think the response and riots are justified.

Imagine what will happen if the Floyd grand jury reaches a similar finding for 3 of the 4 cops there. Chauvin deserves full prosecution, imo.

It's inevitable though. JFK has his famous quote.People have spoke out, protested, asked for accountability for decades, but nothing has changed.

2 hours ago, DevoHusker said:

I completely understand that there's some f#'d up stuff here, but don't think the response and riots are justified.

I'm not going to pretend to know the in's & out's of the Breonna Taylor situation, which is why I've largely stayed out of this conversation.

And while I'm a huge fan of peaceful demonstration/protest, I'm also hugely against rioting & destruction. Especially random, senseless destruction. 

Why quoted this line is: I would imagine there was quite a bit of this opinion in England around the time of the unrest in the American colonies. Some may have been somewhat sympathetic to the Colonials point of view, but "they shouldn't riot" was, I'm sure, a major conversation point. 

We, of course, think it was not only justified, but good, and necessary. Despite our protests, our voices simply were not being heard. And so we rioted. 

When a people feel voiceless enough, victimized enough, and their prior reasonable protests haven't been addressed, this is what they do.

• Plus1 1

I find it incredibly hypocritical that a lot of conservative gun rights activists and ardent second amendment supporters have been so incredibly (and predictably) supportive of police with the Breonna Taylor case.

Them: the government doesn't have a right to take our guns and we should be able to use guns to defend our property

Breonna Taylor's boyfriend: uses his gun in self-defense against a government agency

Also them: won't blame police and think he shouldn't have shot at them

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Enhance said:

I find it incredibly hypocritical that a lot of conservative gun rights activists and ardent second amendment supporters have been so incredibly (and predictably) supportive of police with the Breonna Taylor case.

Them: the government doesn't have a right to take our guns and we should be able to use guns to defend our property

Breonna Taylor's boyfriend: uses his gun in self-defense against a government agency

Yep....would the trumpers have the same attitude if this were the loony tune archers in Nevada that caused a standoff?

2 hours ago, Enhance said:

This is a popular tictok that is going around right now.

• Plus1 1

On 9/24/2020 at 6:00 PM, Enhance said:

I have found a lot of ostensibly conservative folks online who launch right into character assassination of Taylor and/or the boyfriend, bringing up criminal history or trying to justify the warrant, to circumvent actually having the conversation they don't want to have.

• Plus1 4
1 minute ago, Danny Bateman said:

I have found a lot of ostensibly conservative folks online who launch right into character assassination of Taylor and/or the boyfriend, bringing up criminal history or trying to justify the warrant, to circumvent actually having the conversation they don't want to have.

Had that conversation in person a couple of weeks ago. This person told me the current protests were a "joke" because every single person recently killed by the police has a criminal record.

Because somehow having a criminal record justifies the police killing you. Apparently.

• Plus1 2
27 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Had that conversation in person a couple of weeks ago. This person told me the current protests were a "joke" because every single person recently killed by the police has a criminal record.

Because somehow having a criminal record justifies the police killing you. Apparently.

I do believe we're prone at times as people to letting our ideology get out ahead of our common sense.

They're so eager to side with the police and ward off what they perceive as the radical anti-police crowd that they view that stuff as the smoking gun that justifies whatever then happened to the person. They obviously deserved it.

I just don't understand that. I mean I'm fervently against capital punishment so maybe that has something to do with it. But I don't view someone having a record, much less the "just comply with the police and you won't get hurt" stuff, as justification for a death sentence without any redress.

4 hours ago, knapplc said:

I have an MIP from when I was a teenager.  So, I guess it's OK for police to randomly shoot me now.

5 hours ago, Danny Bateman said:

I do believe we're prone at times as people to letting our ideology get out ahead of our common sense.

They're so eager to side with the police and ward off what they perceive as the radical anti-police crowd that they view that stuff as the smoking gun that justifies whatever then happened to the person. They obviously deserved it.

I just don't understand that. I mean I'm fervently against capital punishment so maybe that has something to do with it. But I don't view someone having a record, much less the "just comply with the police and you won't get hurt" stuff, as justification for a death sentence without any redress.

It's not just that they want to side with the police against whoever, a lot of them are racist. And a lot of the racists don't want to think they're racist so they convince themselves they're just being logical.

There are some damn good cops out there. 

https://www.tampabay.com/news/crime/2020/10/12/man-stabs-hillsborough-deputy-during-pursuit-police-say/

Of any case where you would think a suspect would get shot justifiably, this is it. This officer deserves more than an accommodation for being stabbed. He showed amazing restraint and judgement by using his tazer instead of his sidearm. Really above and beyond. Hope he and the mentally ill suspect are doing ok.

• Plus1 2
  • 2 weeks later...