Police Reform

On 4/11/2021 at 11:00 AM, SECHusker said:

This was pretty disgusting.  On the radio this morning, I heard comments from (I think) his commanding officer condemning what the police did here.  He was telling how brave he was being for speaking out about this because the police claimed they would ruin his military career if he did.

Found an article mentioning it.

LINK

Lieutenant Nazario, 27, a graduate of Virginia State University, filed a lawsuit this month in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia. It accuses the officers of illegally searching his car, using excessive force and violating his rights under the First Amendment. The lawsuit seeks $1 million in compensatory damages.

Lieutenant Nazario also accused the officers of threatening to destroy his military career by charging him with multiple crimes if he complained about their conduct, according to the complaint, which was reported this week by The Virginian-Pilot in Norfolk.

• Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I would agree, but clearly it's not a cut-and-dry issue. We've probably all seen video of a cop with a gun in their holster getting shot by the person they pulled over. 

What's the officer's defense there? 

Yeah, I definitely don't agree with him. I was posting it from more of a "seriously??" point of view on it. 

If this were implemented, then no one would get stopped for traffic violations...for the reason you stated. I have a friend/acquaintance that did a study for his doctoral thesis on his own traffic stops over a year long period. (one of the smartest guys I ever met) Fully 30% of his "routine" stops ended up with some other sort of enforcement action like warrants, suspended license, drunk driving, drugs and weapon related stuff. All of those extracurricular things may lead to the cop needing a firearm. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
14 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

Yeah, I definitely don't agree with him. I was posting it from more of a "seriously??" point of view on it. 

If this were implemented, then no one would get stopped for traffic violations...for the reason you stated. I have a friend/acquaintance that did a study for his doctoral thesis on his own traffic stops over a year long period. (one of the smartest guys I ever met) Fully 30% of his "routine" stops ended up with some other sort of enforcement action like warrants, suspended license, drunk driving, drugs and weapon related stuff. All of those extracurricular things may lead to the cop needing a firearm. 

It's a culture issue. A bunch of peer countries in Europe have largely unarmed police forces, yet they're able to perform their duties. 

The difference is America's addiction to guns. We'd have to solve that issue before cops can do their jobs without firearms. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
57 minutes ago, knapplc said:

It's a culture issue. A bunch of peer countries in Europe have largely unarmed police forces, yet they're able to perform their duties. 

The difference is America's addiction to guns. We'd have to solve that issue before cops can do their jobs without firearms. 

I agree with you on this. With 400 million guns in the US, and over a trillion (estimated) rounds of ammo, there is no way one can disarm cops and expect them to perform the same duties they do today. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
Just now, DevoHusker said:

It was mentioned in the other thread discussion with @knapplc

What do ya'll think about stuff like this? I think they should just make ice cream.

I feel like they have as much right to express their opinion as anyone else. Athletes do it, actors do it, musicians do it. 

I have no idea how informed any of those people are on the subject. I'm not letting an actor or athlete (or ice cream maker) influence my opinion, though. I'll do my own research and come to my own conclusions. 

I think it's interesting that they speak out, but often it's a "meh" for me. 

Also, Ben & Jerry's Americone Dream is the best ice cream flavor of all time and I'll hear no dissent on the topic. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

7 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I feel like they have as much right to express their opinion as anyone else. Athletes do it, actors do it, musicians do it. 

I have no idea how informed any of those people are on the subject. I'm not letting an actor or athlete (or ice cream maker) influence my opinion, though. I'll do my own research and come to my own conclusions. 

I think it's interesting that they speak out, but often it's a "meh" for me. 

Also, Ben & Jerry's Americone Dream is the best ice cream flavor of all time and I'll hear no dissent on the topic. 

The bold is where I am at as well. And, like you, I would certainly not join any boycott of this delicious ice cream maker. (but CherryGarcia is the bestest)

I got a chuckle out of one of the replies to the original Tweet:

“JUST IN: The public calls for abolishing the ice cream business, says the entire industry must be dismantled because it “intentionally kills Black and Brown communities” with diabetes, strokes and heart disease”

8 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

There needs to be changes to our police forces.  However, comments like this are stupid and do nothing to help the cause.

Agreed

1 minute ago, DevoHusker said:

The bold is where I am at as well. And, like you, I would certainly not join any boycott of this delicious ice cream maker. (but CherryGarcia is the bestest)

I got a chuckle out of one of the replies to the original Tweet:

“JUST IN: The public calls for abolishing the ice cream business, says the entire industry must be dismantled because it “intentionally kills Black and Brown communities” with diabetes, strokes and heart disease”

Agreed

The son of the founders of Baskin and Robbins basically said the same thing, only about all people.  He is sort of against ice cream.

• Plus1 1