Police Reform

40 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

I got a chuckle out of one of the replies to the original Tweet:

“JUST IN: The public calls for abolishing the ice cream business, says the entire industry must be dismantled because it “intentionally kills Black and Brown communities” with diabetes, strokes and heart disease”

I do find it hypocritical that companies that make ridiculous statements like the ice cream company mentioned above actually cause more damage to people of color than any police force ever could.  Yet they keep on keeping on with their sugar output. 

• Plus1 1

12 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

I do find it hypocritical that companies that make ridiculous statements like the ice cream company mentioned above actually cause more damage to people of color than any police force ever could.  Yet they keep on keeping on with their sugar output. 

Oh yes, the brown and black communities are certainly the primary target audience for overpriced name brand Ice Cream. I am certain that over priced name brand ice cream has made a huge impact on the health of communities that primarily work at or below the poverty line. Every single corner store is stocked with the stuff in those neighborhoods. $5 dollar pints of ice cream roll off those shelves like Busch Light at a redneck wedding. It's incredible to see. 

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1
21 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

I'm interested in reading the study of the effects of Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream on communities of color. Please, share the link for us. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

3 minutes ago, knapplc said:

How many is that this year?

How many people have been killed by police during traffic stops this year?

97 cops have died in the line of duty this year. Not sure how many on traffic stops.

On average, over the past 5 years, police have killed just under 1000 people per year. Not sure how many on traffic stops.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/585152/people-shot-to-death-by-us-police-by-race/ 

But please, use the traffic stop numbers (30 million stops) provided by Mr Balko to extrapolate how many black men have been killed by police on traffic stops each year.  I am guessing they would be more likely to die of a lightning strike or bee sting...or over sugared to death by Ben and Jerry. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
8 minutes ago, knapplc said:

How many is that this year?

How many people have been killed by police during traffic stops this year?

I see around 34 police officers have been killed in the line of duty this year through some measure of assault:

Law Enforcement Line of Duty Deaths in 2021 (odmp.org)

According to this site, 268 people have been killed by police so far this year: Mapping Police Violence

• Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

97 cops have died in the line of duty this year.

7 minutes ago, Jason Sitoke said:

I see around 34 police officers have been killed in the line of duty this year through some measure of assault:

That's a pretty huge disparity in numbers. Seems like something we should have stronger evidence of, don't you guys think?

Just now, knapplc said:

I wouldn't expect your source to cite 97 officers killed and @DevoHusker's source to cite 34 officers killed. I would expect those numbers to be much closer. 

Look again.  It was my source that called out 34, and it was because I went through and checked which officers were stabbed, shot, hit by cars so far this year (which is not over yet), rather than all deaths that were in the line of duty.

I'm doing your research for you here because you asked.  Just wondering what you're driving at.

• Plus1 1