Police Reform

3 minutes ago, Jason Sitoke said:

Look again.  It was my source that called out 34, and it was because I went through and checked which officers were stabbed, shot, hit by cars so far this year (which is not over yet), rather than all deaths that were in the line of duty.

I'm doing your research for you here because you asked.  Just wondering what you're driving at.

Sorry, you cited 34 killed. Devo cited 97 killed. Mea culpa. 

I'm driving at that being a huge disparity in numbers, and if we're to have a conversation about these deaths, shouldn't we be able to say with accuracy how many have been killed? One number is three times the other. Something's wrong there.

Just now, knapplc said:

Sorry, you cited 34 killed. Devo cited 97 killed. Mea culpa. 

I'm driving at that being a huge disparity in numbers, and if we're to have a conversation about these deaths, shouldn't we be able to say with accuracy how many have been killed? One number is three times the other. Something's wrong there.

I don't necessarily agree.  Why would you expect the numbers to be equal?  To be clear, I'm not arguing against police reform, nor am I defending the officer that shot Daunte Wright.  If we are going to point to statistics as an indicator, we need to have good rationale.  If it 'seems to be off', I'm just curious what you would consider the expected ratio, and why.

Just now, Jason Sitoke said:

I don't necessarily agree.  Why would you expect the numbers to be equal?  To be clear, I'm not arguing against police reform, nor am I defending the officer that shot Daunte Wright.  If we are going to point to statistics as an indicator, we need to have good rationale.  If it 'seems to be off', I'm just curious what you would consider the expected ratio, and why.

You understand I'm not speaking about a ratio, right? I'm speaking about the number of officers killed. You cited a source, Devo cited a source, and they're wildly different.

1 minute ago, Jason Sitoke said:

Why would you expect the numbers to be equal? 

Because there's only one answer to "How many police officers have been killed this year?"

53 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I'm interested in reading the study of the effects of Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream on communities of color. Please, share the link for us. 

Feel free to look up the diabetes epidemic in America and sugars impact on it.   It’s enlightening.  Maybe that ice cream company could do the country a solid and go all sugar free ice cream.  They have the capability. 

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, knapplc said:

What did they get wrong?

(Seeing myself back in)

US averages 40-60 lightning strike deaths per year.

More than 60 officers are killed in the line of duty every year.

There are more people subject to lightning strikes than officers subject to being killed.

So, first, lightning strikes are statistically far less common.  Secondly, order of magnitude would imply one is 10x more likely than another.  OrderS of magnitude would imply that one is at least 100x more common than another.

So either bad at fractions, or really bad at the English language.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Oh yes, the brown and black communities are certainly the primary target audience for overpriced name brand Ice Cream. I am certain that over priced name brand ice cream has made a huge impact on the health of communities that primarily work at or below the poverty line. Every single corner store is stocked with the stuff in those neighborhoods. $5 dollar pints of ice cream roll off those shelves like Busch Light at a redneck wedding. It's incredible to see. 

Seems like a Pretty s#!tty, borderline racist thing to say that people of color can’t afford that company’s ice cream and Implying that communities of color are primarily at or below the poverty line:blink: which is certainly not true. 

Maybe that wasn’t your intent but those communities deserve better than that language. 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
3 minutes ago, Jason Sitoke said:

(Seeing myself back in)

US averages 40-60 lightning strike deaths per year.

More than 60 officers are killed in the line of duty every year.

There are more people subject to lightning strikes than officers subject to being killed.

So, first, lightning strikes are statistically far less common.  Secondly, order of magnitude would imply one is 10x more likely than another.  OrderS of magnitude would imply that one is at least 100x more common than another.

So either bad at fractions, or really bad at the English language.

I think they were bad at agendaizing. 

Just now, Archy1221 said:

Seems like a Pretty s#!tty, borderline racist thing to say that people of color can’t afford that company’s ice cream and Implying that communities of color are primarily at or below the poverty line:blink: which is certainly not true. 

Maybe that wasn’t your intent but those communities deserve better than that language. 

This is 100% cold blooded!!

Hahaha...

Check and mate.

• Haha 1
10 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Feel free to look up the diabetes epidemic in America and sugars impact on it.   It’s enlightening.  Maybe that ice cream company could do the country a solid and go all sugar free ice cream.  They have the capability. 

So you have no numbers to show that Ben & Jerry's is causing harm to communities of color, and thus dismissing their opinion was based on something else. Thanks for clarifying. 

• Plus1 1

2 minutes ago, knapplc said:

So you have no numbers to show that Ben & Jerry's is causing harm to communities of color, and thus dismissing their opinion was based on something else. Thanks for clarifying. 

There products contribute to the diabetes epidemic in America which affects communities of color at a greater rate.  If they want to do something impactful for society, make their products sugar free.  Or they can make woke statements that do absolutely nothing.   Your welcome for the clarification :thumbs

• Plus1 1

Maybe it's just me, but I would suspect that it's reasonable to think that more people would be killed by cops than cops being killed in the line of duty.  There are just some very dangerous people and situations where that is a reasonable but unfortunate outcome.  So, I really don't think looking at the raw numbers and seeing that the cops have killed more people is a meaningful exercise without digging deeper.  

It really needs to be looked at specifically as to the situations the cops were in, what the person was doing and the danger to officers or public surrounding the situation before anything meaningful can be drawn from it.

• Plus1 1
Just now, Archy1221 said:

There products contribute to the diabetes epidemic in America which affects communities of color at a greater rate.  If they want to do something impactful for society, make their products sugar free.  Or they can make woke statements that do absolutely nothing.   Your welcome for the clarification :thumbs

I feel like those "woke statements" wouldn't have generated such reactions if they did "absolutely nothing."

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Plus1 1