Police Reform

1 hour ago, DevoHusker said:

Bernard just proved racial disparities in regards to police shootings.  Whites make up 60% of the country yet, according to this graphic, account for 43% of unarmed shot by police and 45% of all fatal shooting by police. Blacks comprise 13% of the population and are 33% and 24% of those, respectively.  

I guess he is counting on his followers not doing the math. 

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

Just now, Decoy73 said:

Bernard just proved racial disparities in regards to police shootings.  Whites make up 60% of the country yet, according to this graphic, account for 43% of unarmed shot by police and 45% of all fatal shooting by police. Blacks comprise 13% of the population and are 33% and 24% of those, respectively.  

I guess he is counting on his followers not doing the math. 

We've covered this before. That same 13% (actually closer to 6.5%) account for over HALF of all violent crime. So the other 87%, of all races, are less likely to engage with police due to violent crimes. And yet, still more whites than Blacks (by number) or any other race. 

Did you see the number of police/public interactions and percentage? Mind boggling...

And, as I have pointed out before, I certainly hope that it never happens, to anyone of any race, any more because even one is tragic.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
13 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

We've covered this before. That same 13% (actually closer to 6.5%) account for over HALF of all violent crime. So the other 87%, of all races, are less likely to engage with police due to violent crimes. And yet, still more whites than Blacks (by number) or any other race. 

Did you see the number of police/public interactions and percentage? Mind boggling...

And, as I have pointed out before, I certainly hope that it never happens, to anyone of any race, any more because even one is tragic.

Not sure what you’re getting at, but I’m pretty sure Criminal Trump pardonee Bernard Kerik is trying to show that whites are more likely to be shot by police than Blacks, however when you take into consideration the US population racial breakdown, the opposite is true.  It’s an incomplete and misleading bit of information.  But so is pretty much everything thing else coming from the right these days.  

2 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

Not sure what you’re getting at, but I’m pretty sure Criminal Trump pardonee Bernard Kerik is trying to show that whites are more likely to be shot by police than Blacks, however when you take into consideration the US population racial breakdown, the opposite is true.  It’s an incomplete and misleading bit of information.  But so is pretty much everything thing else coming from the right these days.  

No, what's misleading is clinging to one statistic but totally ignoring others.

• Thanks 2
2 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

No, what's misleading is clinging to one statistic but totally ignoring others.

It’s getting late so I must have missed it.  What was the one statistic?  And what’s getting ignored?  I’m not following. 

2 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

Its the argument you made about 3 posts ago.

When I used basic math

Just now, DevoHusker said:

Staying with a law enforcement analogy...if one group of drivers that represents 13% of all drivers account for over 50% of speeding, one would expect that group of drivers to get more tickets for speeding. 

Yes?

This was not in Bernard’s (I’m getting really tired of typing his name) graphic so it’s not at all what I was addressing.  

4 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

Its the argument you made about 3 posts ago.

When I injected basic mathematics to prove Bernard’s point was flawed?    

9 hours ago, DevoHusker said:

Staying with a law enforcement analogy...if one group of drivers that represents 13% of all drivers account for over 50% of speeding, one would expect that group of drivers to get more tickets for speeding. 

Yes?

You're both arguing two different viewpoints of the same numbers.

Volumetrically speaking, there's no way for black people to incur a sum total more deaths at the hands of law enforcement than white people. There are effectively too many white people. However, it is possible for black people to incur a statistically disproportionate number of deaths, and that's what Decoy is pointing out.

So, what Kerik is doing is effectively the red herring in all of this. He's saying more white people are killed volumetrically. He's not wrong, but that's not what people are trying to figure out. The real question is why are black people disproportionately impacted based on their contribution to the overall population.

The same would hold true for your driver analogy. If that sub-group of drivers is accounting for a disproportionate volume of tickets, we would want to be asking why that's the case and if there are things we could be doing to address it.

• Plus1 2
43 minutes ago, Enhance said:

You're both arguing two different viewpoints of the same numbers.

Volumetrically speaking, there's no way for black people to incur a sum total more deaths at the hands of law enforcement than white people. There are effectively too many white people. However, it is possible for black people to incur a statistically disproportionate number of deaths, and that's what Decoy is pointing out.

So, what Kerik is doing is effectively the red herring in all of this. He's saying more white people are killed volumetrically. He's not wrong, but that's not what people are trying to figure out. The real question is why are black people disproportionately impacted based on their contribution to the overall population.

The same would hold true for your driver analogy. If that sub-group of drivers is accounting for a disproportionate volume of tickets, we would want to be asking why that's the case and if there are things we could be doing to address it.

I am not arguing @Decoy73 math. He is statistically correct, just as the total number is statistically correct. My speeding analogy is pretty simple. People that speed get more tickets than people that don't speed. 

What I am saying is there is a likely reason that his disproportionate statistic is correct. And it isn't because cops want to shoot black guys. I am guessing that they would rather not shoot anyone, ever.  But, black males are disproportionately in situations that have getting shot as one of the outcomes.

That is why Decoy's statistic is correct. Bernard's statistics are correct as well.

• Plus1 1