Police Reform

@DevoHuskeris looking at this the correct way.  Total Police interactions for each race need to be taken into account with the percentage of deaths per police interactions with each race.  

the entire US population by race doesn’t matter.  What matters is the entire population of people in police interactions.  That’s the control number 

Figuring out why Blacks have more police interactions than any other race is a different discussion. 

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, DevoHusker said:

What I am saying is there is a likely reason that his disproportionate statistic is correct. And it isn't because cops want to shoot black guys. I am guessing that they would rather not shoot anyone, ever.  But, black males are disproportionately in situations that have getting shot as one of the outcomes.

That is why Decoy's statistic is correct. Bernard's statistics are correct as well.

So, I agree with what you're saying here, but I think we need to be appropriate in how we analyze these statistics and react to them. Just because they're both "correct" doesn't mean they're equally pertinent or being presented in good faith, so it makes the back and forth you two have been having a bit pedantic.

If the explicit issue is that 'black males are disproportionately impacted in police related gun deaths,' then why are we talking about white people being volumetrically more impacted?

Maybe systemic racism isn't the cause of more black deaths. Bernard is welcome to hold and believe that opinion. But his statistics don't prove that argument in the way he believes they do. Any statistician would look at what he's doing and point out the logical fallacy in moments. He's trying to say that because more white people die as a sum total of their majority grouping, that this disproves systemic racism when comparing it to the proportionate total of a minority group. That, in and of itself, does not disprove anything.

• Plus1 1

Raw numbers of people being killed by police by race doesn't tell us much.  It really needs to be looked at much deeper.  What situations were the people doing that lead to them being shot?  What situations were the police in that lead to the person being shot?  Until that is examined, the conversation is really meaningless.

Also, until then, we all should be concerned that so many people ( no matter what race) are being shot by police.

• Plus1 4
2 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

the entire US population by race doesn’t matter.  What matters is the entire population of people in police interactions.  That’s the control number 

In a perfect analysis, yes.  But we don’t have those numbers.  It’s why I went with the census breakdown.  While it doesn’t address police encounters, it does help to illustrate how Bernard’s simple raw numbers do not, in fact, disprove racism.   Contrary to his claim.  

• Plus1 1

Here is part of the problem. Ms Jarrett is a well respected former advisor to President Obama. This is her tweet about the unfortunate incident in Columbus OH.

Read the first few replies to see what really happened. 

This will count in the statistics of "black person shot by police". Many have already jumped on the bandwagon that she should have been Tased, or tackled, and blame the officer. 

3 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

Here is part of the problem. Ms Jarrett is a well respected former advisor to President Obama. This is her tweet about the unfortunate incident in Columbus OH.

Read the first few replies to see what really happened. 

This will count in the statistics of "black person shot by police". Many have already jumped on the bandwagon that she should have been Tased, or tackled, and blame the officer. 

Why couldn't she have been tased?

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
1 minute ago, knapplc said:

She probably could have been. And she likely would have killed the girl she was going to stab. Or the probes may have missed, or because of her large size and loose fitting clothing, it would not have been effective. And if any of those things happened, the cop would still have to shoot her, but then there would be 2 dead girls, and folks would still blame the cop. 

2 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

She probably could have been. And she likely would have killed the girl she was going to stab. Or the probes may have missed, or because of her large size and loose fitting clothing, it would not have been effective. And if any of those things happened, the cop would still have to shoot her, but then there would be 2 dead girls, and folks would still blame the cop. 

I don't recall any instances where cops were blamed for attempting to use a taser in such a situation. 

Regardless, from a PBS article:

Woods said state law allows police to use deadly force to protect themselves or others, and investigators will determine whether this shooting was such an instance. Ohio’s Bureau of Criminal Investigation is now reviewing the killing following an agreement with the city last summer for all police shootings to be handled by the independent investigators under Attorney General Dave Yost’s office.

Columbus Mayor Andrew Ginther mourned the loss of the young victim but defended the officer’s use of deadly force.

“We know based on this footage the officer took action to protect another young girl in our community,” he told reporters.

I'm guessing this will go down as a tragic yet acceptable use of deadly force. The whole thing took less than ten seconds. Tough situation for the cop to be in. 

2 hours ago, knapplc said:

I don't recall any instances where cops were blamed for attempting to use a taser in such a situation. 

Regardless, from a PBS article:

I'm guessing this will go down as a tragic yet acceptable use of deadly force. The whole thing took less than ten seconds. Tough situation for the cop to be in. 

Just saw the video. What a chaotic, violent $hit$how to come up on. Might there have been a better solution?  I might be able to think of one, but it would take me longer than the 10 second window demanded. 

• Plus1 1

31 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

That's to presume the cop doesn't miss with the bullet, and you get stabbed anyway. Or the cop doesn't miss with the bullet and hits someone else.

This isn't the answer. It's *an* answer. But not *the* answer.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

Seems like a lose, lose scenario. Happened too fast to think about it. A lot of people will blame the cop but if you try and stab someone with the intent to harm & or kill you should know that you may forfeit your own life in the process. Who knows if a taser would’ve taken her down immediately or fast enough for the victim to not get stabbed. By the time the barbs get there it might’ve been too late. Especially reacting to such events in a split second...At the end of the day..shouldn’t have tried to stab someone. 

Seems like the only reason this case is even relevant is because of the race of both parties given the current climate of our nation. This isn’t a cut and dry scenario like the George Floyd case.

My only gripe with what I have heard so far is that it appeared there was some time to deescalate the situation beforehand. But again..s#!t happened quick and that woman chose to try and stab someone in front of a cop. 

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, knapplc said:

She was literally about to stab someone in the neck. It was a good shoot unfortuantely the girl died. But if he didnt shoot the headline would be “cop lets woman be stabbed to death in front of him”. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
8 minutes ago, Frott Scost said:

She was literally about to stab someone in the neck. It was a good shoot unfortuantely the girl died. But if he didnt shoot the headline would be “cop lets woman be stabbed to death in front of him”. 

I agree it was a good shoot, and that the cop had barely any time to react. It was a life-and-death situation, or *at best* a severe maiming, so he did what he was trained to do.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1