Police Reform

1 hour ago, Decked said:

Seems like a lose, lose scenario. Happened too fast to think about it. A lot of people will blame the cop but if you try and stab someone with the intent to harm & or kill you should know that you may forfeit your own life in the process. Who knows if a taser would’ve taken her down immediately or fast enough for the victim to not get stabbed. By the time the barbs get there it might’ve been too late. Especially reacting to such events in a split second...At the end of the day..shouldn’t have tried to stab someone. 

Seems like the only reason this case is even relevant is because of the race of both parties given the current climate of our nation. This isn’t a cut and dry scenario like the George Floyd case.

My only gripe with what I have heard so far is that it appeared there was some time to deescalate the situation beforehand. But again..s#!t happened quick and that woman chose to try and stab someone in front of a cop. 

Yeah...I think the problem is that "deescalation" is not as easy as people think.   In my teaching career I have about 3 instances where nothing we were going to say or do was going to calm the person down.  It is almost like they don't even hear you.  It is scary.  

Luckily I was teaching kindergarten at the time so once I threatened to take away snack time, things calmed down and those kids knew that s#!t was real now. 

• Haha 4

17 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Yeah...I think the problem is that "deescalation" is not as easy as people think.   In my teaching career I have about 3 instances where nothing we were going to say or do was going to calm the person down.  It is almost like they don't even hear you.  It is scary.  

Luckily I was teaching kindergarten at the time so once I threatened to take away snack time, things calmed down and those kids knew that s#!t was real now. 

For sure man. 

1 hour ago, Decked said:

For sure man. 

I was at a bar once...dude got mad for some reason, smashed a glass over another dudes head and for about 45 seconds they went at it...the dude that started it then ran off...

Nothing and I mean nothing was going to calm him down when it started.  I really had never seen anything liked it and it got my adrenaline going.  Now, I am a huge vag so I did nothing but watch, but stil..   

• Fire 1
11 hours ago, knapplc said:

Why couldn't she have been tased?

Because the TASER works maybe 60% of the time and deadly force is the appropriate response in this situation to protect a life. I've got three ribs that are still broken from the last time I used a TASER on a guy and it didn't work. He was hopped up on PCP and god knows what else. In my career the TASER will eventually cease to exist honestly. 

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1

18 hours ago, knapplc said:

I don't recall any instances where cops were blamed for attempting to use a taser in such a situation. 

Regardless, from a PBS article:

I'm guessing this will go down as a tragic yet acceptable use of deadly force. The whole thing took less than ten seconds. Tough situation for the cop to be in. 

I wish he would have used a taser to take her down and disarm her.  However, this is a tough one.  She clearly was attempting to kill or severely harm another person. That is when a police officer should be justified in using whatever force necessary to prevent that.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I wish he would have used a taser to take her down and disarm her.  However, this is a tough one.  She clearly was attempting to kill or severely harm another person. That is when a police officer should be justified in using whatever force necessary to prevent that.

Yes, which is why I said in the post you quoted, and one shortly thereafter:

18 hours ago, knapplc said:

I'm guessing this will go down as a tragic yet acceptable use of deadly force. The whole thing took less than ten seconds. Tough situation for the cop to be in. 

14 hours ago, knapplc said:

I agree it was a good shoot, and that the cop had barely any time to react. It was a life-and-death situation, or *at best* a severe maiming, so he did what he was trained to do.

2 hours ago, Cdog923 said:

Can we all just agree that whatever sort of reforms come, can "removing this guy from public speaking" be one of them? 

Pretty f#&%ed up world view. No life should be ended lightly no matter how bad.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

22 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Honestly, I think there are a percentage of cops who want to be cops so they have the freedom/ability to shoot or kill people.  It's a VERY SMALL percentage, but they are out there.

There's bad apples in any job.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
12 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

Lebron James is a complete douche who only tries to inflame situations he knows nothing about.  What a complete a$&hat

Because of the woke culture (and f#&%ing morons like LeBron), it is nearly impossible for deadly force against a black person to be considered justified. LeBron stoked the fire yesterday, and more or less called for violence against police in this country.  LeBron lost all credibility when he turned a blind eye to actual inequality in China.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
4 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Honestly, I think there are a percentage of cops who want to be cops so they have the freedom/ability to shoot or kill people.  It's a VERY SMALL percentage, but they are out there.

I agree...totally a small % but some dudes get into it for that reason.

s#!t, some dudes get into coaching to be an a$$h@!e. 

• Plus1 1