Police Reform

4 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Honestly, I think there are a percentage of cops who want to be cops so they have the freedom/ability to shoot or kill people.  It's a VERY SMALL percentage, but they are out there.

Same with the military. Its one reason I would never be a good military man, because any life I would need to take, no matter how bad, would haunt me and it would be hard for me to live with myself after the fact. 

• Plus1 1

24 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

New vantage point...it went down fast

This is terribly sad but this video disproves everyone saying she was defending herself from people attacking her at her own house. I was about to crucify this cop when the intial story came out. Im glad I waited til the facts came out. But its a sad situation and I wish the child didnt have to die. 

• Plus1 2

17 hours ago, DevoHusker said:

New vantage point...it went down fast

Somebody said this in the Floyd Verdict thread, but it was really on point (no pun intended).

This is a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation as an officer. If someone gets stabbed/murdered when he could've intervened, he looks bad. If he shoots and kills the attacker, he looks bad. I 100% understand the exhaustion black Americans feel in regards to police related shootings of black people, but we have to operate in a society where facts and details matter more than gut reactions and emotional responses. That's what makes LBJ's tweet about this officer so ill-advised. I'll get the obligatory note out of the way now and say that I think LBJ has and is doing A TON of positive things in the world, but going after this officer on Twitter wasn't the right move.

Based on everything I've seen and heard about shooting, the cop made a judgement call and probably the right one. He shot and killed someone who was trying to take the life of another person.

There's a lot more we could be doing as a society to prevent this situation from ever escalating to the point it did and, IMO, that's where a majority of our efforts should be focused.

• Plus1 1
24 minutes ago, Enhance said:

Somebody said this in the Floyd Verdict thread, but it was really on point (no pun intended).

This is a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation as an officer. If someone gets stabbed/murdered when he could've intervened, he looks bad. If he shoots and kills the attacker, he looks bad. I 100% understand the exhaustion black Americans feel in regards to police related shootings of black people, but we have to operate in a society where facts and details matter more than gut reactions and emotional responses. That's what makes LBJ's tweet about this officer so ill-advised. I'll get the obligatory note out of the way now and say that I think LBJ has and is doing A TON of positive things in the world, but going after this officer on Twitter wasn't the right move.

Based on everything I've seen and heard about shooting, the cop made a judgement call and probably the right one. He shot and killed someone who was trying to take the life of another person.

There's a lot more we could be doing as a society to prevent this situation from ever escalating to the point it did and, IMO, that's where a majority of our efforts should be focused.

Wow, watching that view makes me really realize how nuts that situation was, that was really fast.

58 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Wow, watching that view makes me really realize how nuts that situation was, that was really fast.

That's why I often try really hard to not cast aspersions one way or the other on sensitive situations like this. Yeah, I'm certainly guilty of doing it, but I have no idea what it's like to be in those moments... with those those stakes... with those expectations. Training and experience would help but you never know until you're actually in that situation what you would do.

• Plus1 1
On 6/2/2020 at 9:17 AM, BIGREDIOWAN said:

Qualified Immunity doesn't just give cops a blanket way to violate people's rights like this guy is making it sound. So from my standpoint he's just trying to be dramatic. <_< Sure it's been used in the past on some henious things,  but it's also protected good officers from bad laws, bad policies, and bad training. End qualified immunity completely not only will you lose ALOT of good police officers....... you'll need to pay them a SIGNIFICANT amount more to stay in this profession. Just saying....

Yup. They will need malpractice insurance, and can charge accordingly to cover it.

• Fire 1

Something I never thought about before, but how long is a cops shift?

Why not, cut that in half, i feel like if a regular shift is 8 hours, cut it to 4.  Less stress, less fatigue, less chance of meeting lots of a$$h@!es in a day.

As a (hero myself) teacher, I know there are days when I get to my last class and I am in a bad mood and hate the kids before they walk in, but when we have half-days, I am in a great mood all day long.

14 hours ago, teachercd said:

Something I never thought about before, but how long is a cops shift?

Why not, cut that in half, i feel like if a regular shift is 8 hours, cut it to 4.  Less stress, less fatigue, less chance of meeting lots of a$$h@!es in a day.

As a (hero myself) teacher, I know there are days when I get to my last class and I am in a bad mood and hate the kids before they walk in, but when we have half-days, I am in a great mood all day long.

Most departments are working 10 or 12 hour shifts. Are you saying that those hours we don't work are paid or unpaid?

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, BIGREDIOWAN said:

Most departments are working 10 or 12 hour shifts. Are you saying that those hours we don't work are paid or unpaid?

Still paid...the only civil servants that need drastic pay cuts are firemen.

So maybe like 4 hours on patrol and 4 hours back at the office, I don't know.  Like I said, I get fried at work on certain days so I am sure you do as well.

I totally sympathize with good cops who hate being branded by the worst actions of bad cops, but I think Chris Rock said it best as to why this isn't likely to go away:

“Whenever the cops kill an innocent black man, they give the excuse, ‘Oh it’s just a few bad apples.’

Bad apples?

Some jobs can’t have bad apples.

Some jobs, everybody gotta be good.

Like … pilots.

“American Airlines can’t be like, ‘Most of our pilots like to land. We just got a few bad apples that like to crash into mountains. Please bear with us.’”

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1