Police Reform

22 minutes ago, Enhance said:

Not a bad idea. I've also often wondered if we shouldn't treat law enforcement like we would an associate's degree or a trade school certification.

The degree/certification would largely comprise of courses centered around criminal justice, mental health, racism/discrimination, public interaction and communication, etc. Perhaps could even incorporate some of the physical training learned in the academy. It would basically lay the groundwork for a potential LEO applicant. And much like you wouldn't expect to become a full time welder without training/certification, the same would apply to law enforcement - the chances of you getting in without that degree/foundation would be near impossible unless you had some level of acceptable, commiserate experience.

I'm sure there are holes to poke or pertinent questions to ask, but the gist of the idea is pretty straight forward. I do think a lot of would-be LEOs are going into criminal justice after high school to help boost the resumé but unsure. And, ultimately, formal education after high school is not a requirement to become an LEO i most places IIRC.

Even if they treated it like a trade or associates degree where it was tailored to prepare you to specifically be a police officer like we do for nursing would make a lot more sense. 

• Plus1 1

The outcry over the poorly named Defund the Police movement ignored the reasonable policy shift to have other agencies step in to as many intervention situations as possible, including domestic disturbances, confronting the mentally ill. public drug and alcohol cases, vagrant complaints, even barking dogs and cats stuck in trees. A couple honest police chiefs admitted they would love to have these calls taken off their plate. 

Would an intervening social worker sometimes find themselves scared s#!tless and welcome an armed police back up? Of course. Could police learn about mental health assessment and de-escalation techniques from some unarmed experts? Why not?  If the only other choices are Pro-Police or Anti-Police, it will only get worse.

Our town of 50,000 had a full time mental health expert on the Police Department and he was pretty brilliant at navigating bi-polar episodes and helping police determine who was a danger to others and/or to themselves. He lasted about 5 years till budget cuts caught up with him. Pretty sure he was saving the department and judicial system time and money in the long run. 

• Plus1 2

32 minutes ago, knapplc said:

He's a better actor than Scott Baio, too.

I want Charles, in charge of me...and my thoughts...

So he is rich enough from that and Happy Days to never really have worked again?  Unreal.

Reform:

Shorter shifts

Minority cop with white cop

Done.  

Colorado officers who violently arrested 73-year-old with dementia laughed about incident afterward, video shows

The Loveland police officers who violently arrested a 73-year-old woman with dementia laughed about the incident afterward and congratulated themselves about the arrest, video released Monday by the woman’s lawyer shows.

Video of the Loveland Police Department booking area shows the officers who made the arrest, Austin Hopp and Daria Jalali, re-watching body camera footage and laughing about the incident while the woman, Karen Garner, sat handcuffed to a bench in a nearby cell.

The officers fractured Garner’s arm and dislocated her shoulder during the arrest, her family has said.

“Ready for the pop?” an officer identified by Garner’s lawyer as Hopp said to other officers while re-watching the body camera footage together.

“What popped?” another officer asked.

“I think it was her shoulder,” Hopp responded.

In the video from the booking area, Hopp can also be heard saying, “I can’t believe I threw a 73-year-old on the ground,” and saying he loved watching the body camera footage of his fight with the elderly woman.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, knapplc said:

Colorado officers who violently arrested 73-year-old with dementia laughed about incident afterward, video shows

The Loveland police officers who violently arrested a 73-year-old woman with dementia laughed about the incident afterward and congratulated themselves about the arrest, video released Monday by the woman’s lawyer shows.

Video of the Loveland Police Department booking area shows the officers who made the arrest, Austin Hopp and Daria Jalali, re-watching body camera footage and laughing about the incident while the woman, Karen Garner, sat handcuffed to a bench in a nearby cell.

The officers fractured Garner’s arm and dislocated her shoulder during the arrest, her family has said.

“Ready for the pop?” an officer identified by Garner’s lawyer as Hopp said to other officers while re-watching the body camera footage together.

“What popped?” another officer asked.

“I think it was her shoulder,” Hopp responded.

In the video from the booking area, Hopp can also be heard saying, “I can’t believe I threw a 73-year-old on the ground,” and saying he loved watching the body camera footage of his fight with the elderly woman.

Send these f#&%ers to prison.  They are gross people...