Police Reform

Just now, BigRedBuster said:

Very few people do this.  And, to be clear, saying changes need to be made in how we police isn't demonizing the police or lumping all police into a basket of bad apples.  It's an honest discussion that needs to be had.  

It's been a pretty fair discussion for the most part. When bad policing is pointed out (Chauvin) people want (rightly) for that to be corrected. In other circumstances (Ma'Khia Bryant), people have been understanding of the circumstances. 

No one here is labeling all police as a problem. Heck, "defund the police" isn't even a topic here, and has no traction in the larger community. 

• Plus1 1

Just now, RedDenver said:

Verbal assault and physical restraints aren't even close to the same. Similar would be a cop that yells at a driver and cusses them out.

Deal...you win.  

You are like the Terminator, programed to come back in time argue posts.  Hahaha

4 hours ago, DevoHusker said:

Each one of these officers appears to be aiming directly at the target's groin.  Hitting a stationary target at 5 yards is one thing, but good luck hitting that area in the heat of the moment.  So it's going to be something like this.."Put that knife down or I'll blow your balls off".

Cops only hit on about 20% of their shots anyway.  Plus a hit to the femoral or abdominal aortic arteries will be just as fatal as one to the center of the chest.  This seems like a bad idea.

2 hours ago, Decoy73 said:

Each one of these officers appears to be aiming directly at the target's groin.  Hitting a stationary target at 5 yards is one thing, but good luck hitting that area in the heat of the moment.  So it's going to be something like this.."Put that knife down or I'll blow your balls off".

Cops only hit on about 20% of their shots anyway.  Plus a hit to the femoral or abdominal aortic arteries will be just as fatal as one to the center of the chest.  This seems like a bad idea.

Yeah, I am not sure how well this would work, but did think it was interesting that department is looking into something new.

• Plus1 1

11 hours ago, Decoy73 said:

Shooing is hard, shooing something moving is harder.  I think a lot of people think everyone that has a gun is Jack Bauer.  

20% (probably right) even seems high.  

17 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Shooing is hard, shooing something moving is harder.  I think a lot of people think everyone that has a gun is Jack Bauer.  

20% (probably right) even seems high.  

Yeah.....anyone who’s watched Starsky and Hutch knows a lot of shots don’t hit the target. 

• Oh Yeah! 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Holy cow. 

Louisiana troopers stunned, punched, dragged Black man before he died in custody, video shows: ‘I’m your brother! I’m scared! I’m scared!’

Louisiana state troopers were captured on body camera video stunning, punching and dragging a Black man as he apologized for leading them on a high-speed chase — footage of the man’s last moments alive that The Associated Press obtained after authorities refused to release it for two years.

“I’m your brother! I’m scared! I’m scared!” Ronald Greene can be heard telling the white troopers as the unarmed man is jolted repeatedly with a stun gun before he even gets out of his car along a dark, rural road.

The 2019 arrest outside Monroe, Louisiana, is the subject of a federal civil rights investigation. But unlike other in-custody deaths across the nation where body camera video was released almost immediately, Greene’s case has been shrouded in secrecy and accusations of a cover-up.

Louisiana officials have rebuffed repeated calls to release footage and details about what caused the 49-year-old’s death. Troopers initially told Greene’s family he died on impact after crashing into a tree during the chase. Later, State Police released a one-page statement acknowledging only that Greene struggled with troopers and died on his way to the hospital.

Only now in the footage obtained by the AP from one trooper’s body camera can the public see for the first time some of what happened during the arrest.

The 46-minute clip shows one trooper wrestling Greene to the ground, putting him in a chokehold and punching him in the face while another can be heard calling him a “stupid motherf---—.”

Greene wails “I’m sorry!” as another trooper delivers another stun gun shock to his backside and warns, “Look, you’re going to get it again if you don’t put your f---—- hands behind your back!” Another trooper can be seen briefly dragging the man facedown after his legs had been shackled and his hands cuffed behind him.

Instead of rendering aid, the troopers leave the burly man unattended, facedown and moaning for more than nine minutes, as they use sanitizer wipes to wash blood off their hands and faces.

“I hope this guy ain’t got f------ AIDS,” one of the troopers can be heard saying.

After a several-minute stretch in which Greene is not seen on camera, he appears again, limp, unresponsive and bleeding from his head and face. He is then loaded onto an ambulance gurney, his arm cuffed to the bedrail.

In many parts of the video, Greene is not on screen, and the trooper appears to cut the microphone off about halfway through, making it difficult to piece together exactly what was happening at all times. At least six troopers were on the scene of the arrest but not all had their body cameras on.

“They murdered him. It was set out, it was planned,” Greene’s mother, Mona Hardin, said Wednesday. “He didn’t have a chance. Ronnie didn’t have a chance. He wasn’t going to live to tell about it.”

An attorney for Greene’s family, Lee Merritt, said the footage “has some of the same hallmarks of the George Floyd video, the length of it, the sheer brutality of it.”

“He apologized in an attempt to surrender,” Merritt said.

Louisiana State Police declined to comment on the contents of the video. In a statement, the agency said the “premature public release of investigative files and video evidence in this case is not authorized and ... undermines the investigative process and compromises the fair and impartial outcome.”

State Police brass initially argued the troopers’ use of force was justified — “awful but lawful,” as ranking officials described it — and did not open an administrative investigation until 474 days after Greene’s death.

“Police departments have got to stop putting roadblocks up to information that is, in the public’s eye, questionable. They have to reveal all that they know, when they know it,” said Andrew Scott, a former Boca Raton, Florida, police chief who testifies as an expert witness in use-of-force cases. “It suggests that you’re hiding something.”

• Thanks 1

Based on what little I know about shooting people in hostile situations, I'm interested in the efficacy of training to 'shoot, not kill.' It seems counter-intuitive since a firearm's primary function is to kill and shooting center mass is objectively the most effective target zone. It can often take several centralized shots to get an assailant to stop what they're doing.

And it's amazing that the thighs/legs are listed as a green area in that photo when one hit to the femoral artery means likely death.

I don't know. De-escalation training and use of electroshock weapons seem far more wise, particularly since newer shock weapons have a sort of pre-fire technology that can try to intimidate the assailant into complying.

• Plus1 1