Police Reform

8 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Guess it's a glass half empty/half full kinda thing. No doubt there have always been racist and bully cops, and racial bias in everything from real estate to medical prescriptions, but I'm not sure most Americans knew how common it was until video cameras and uhm "woke" activists.  Thinking we should have come farther than this may not be a step backward, but it doesn't feel like a step forward just because policing bias  is out in the open. They've known this is wrong the whole time. 

To be clear, I didn't say we have made a step forward yet.  I meant that it's not an indication that it's a step backwards. Realizing and admitting the problem is the first step.  Unfortunately, that's the step we are still in the middle of.

• Plus1 1

I get what JJ was saying about the Memphis case and just following directions, but man, I couldn’t imagine getting manhandled and eventually pummeled like that and still be able to follow any directions, much less multiple different directions from those s#!tty a$$ police officers.  That poor kid had to have been in a fog of war type situation at some point.  

Shame on the police for not de-escalating when he wasn’t a danger and with multiple officers around to provide backup.  Awful situation.  

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 2

Cerelyn Davis, the Memphis police chief, has said investigators have been unable to determine whether Mr. Nichols was driving recklessly. And the videos show that officers had approached his car with their guns drawn, while threatening and cursing at him, before pulling him out and pushing him to the ground.

Mr. Nichols, sounding distressed, says “You don’t do that, OK?” and then tries to follow officers’ contradictory and rapid fire commands, which included ordering him to get on the ground while he was already lying down. “All right, I’m on the ground,” he says, before responding to another demand: “Yes, sir.”

But the police continued to be aggressive, with one threatening to fire his Taser at Mr. Nichols and another threatening to “break” his hands. Mr. Nichols pleaded with them to stop, and said at one point, “You guys are really doing a lot right now.”

The police report said that, sometime around this period, Mr. Nichols had grabbed for a detective’s gun, something not shown in any of the videos. The officers then deployed pepper spray into Mr. Nichols’s face, after which he ran away, toward his mother’s house.

Back to the running away topic, I think the context is important. It's hard to imagine not running away after having a gun drawn on you and being pushed to the ground and threatened multiple times THEN PEPPER SPRAYED IN THE FACE AS YOU ARE LYING ON THE GROUND AND OBEYING ORDERS, all because you were "driving recklessly" which there has been no evidence of yet. They were already being a$$h@!es and he felt his life was threatened and he was right.

It can't possibly be the normal procedure for police to point their weapons at someone because they were driving recklessly, if he actually was doing that.

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 3

21 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

I get what JJ was saying about the Memphis case and just following directions, but man, I couldn’t imagine getting manhandled and eventually pummeled like that and still be able to follow any directions, much less multiple different directions from those s#!tty a$$ police officers.  That poor kid had to have been in a fog of war type situation at some point.  

Shame on the police for not de-escalating when he wasn’t a danger and with multiple officers around to provide backup.  Awful situation.  

Holy crap! We 100% agree on something. :)

• Plus1 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, NM11046 said:

This tells me that $1k isn't a detriment (or someone is paying it for them).  They should lose their jobs for knowingly abusing department policy.

A fine seems reasonable to me. If cops in this dept do it again, then suspension or termination is more reasonable. If we're going to fire cops, then let it be for egregious violence or violations of citizen's rights, not political infractions.

• TBH 1

If I break a company policy on quid pro quo or other issues with the DPH, CDC, FDA etc it's immediate termination,  So I know not to ever even get close to that line.  We take live/virtual training annually on these policies and sign that we have listened and understand and will abide by them.  I'd imagine that there is a long list of rules that police must also read and sign off on knowing that violation may lose them their jobs.  

These guys knew and made a concious decision to do this.  If they are so egregiously violating this policy what else are they pushing the envelope on in their roles knowing how powerful the uniform is?  Are they the cops you want to trust with the lives of their colleagues?  

I disagree with you here RedDenver.  Particularly in todays times with the microscope on cops and their behavior that's over the line - there's no room for looking the other way.  If one makes these sorts of poor decisions I can't imagine they're not making others.

• Plus1 2