Police Reform

1 hour ago, RedDenver said:

I hate to play devil's advocate on this, and I'm sure it's a combination of racism and what I'm about to say, but part of the reason Black people would more often be cited for breaking pedestrian laws is, assuming Jacksonville is the same as the U.S. overall, a larger % of Black people walk to their destinations.

But I'm willing to bet the biggest factor here is there are more police in Black neighborhoods and some of them are racist.

1 hour ago, Moiraine said:

I hate to play devil's advocate on this, and I'm sure it's a combination of racism and what I'm about to say, but part of the reason Black people would more often be cited for breaking pedestrian laws is, assuming Jacksonville is the same as the U.S. overall, a larger % of Black people walk to their destinations.

But I'm willing to bet the biggest factor here is there are more police in Black neighborhoods and some of them are racist.

From the linked article:

Since 2012, at least 194 pedestrians have been killed by drivers in Jacksonville. It is one of America’s five most dangerous metro areas for pedestrians. Even as tickets are issued to black pedestrians at a far higher rate than nonblack residents, the proportion of pedestrians fatally injured in traffic accidents who are black — 30 percent — matches almost exactly the proportion of Jacksonville’s population that is black.

What’s more, we found no discernible connection between where pedestrian deaths occurred and where law enforcement issues tickets.

We also found that although census tracts where the population was mostly black had a similar number of fatalities to other neighborhoods, those residents were ticketed anywhere from two to five times as much.

27 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

From the article: 

Transit system here is Bus.  There are trains downtown but they don't go everywhere.

We are the 12th (I think) largest city...but we're the LARGEST by area.  So it's spread waaaaaay out.  People don't walk here often...everything is a 15 minute drive.

If I want to go downtown, it's 15 min drive.  If i want to go to the beach, it's a 15 min drive.  If I want to go to Towncenter shopping mall, it's a 10-15 min drive depending on traffic.  If I want to go to westside or Orange Park, it's a 15-20 min drive depending on traffic.

So getting from neighborhood to neighborhood here requires transportation due to the way the city is spread out.

Just giving you my take on transportation from living here for the past 6 years.

25 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

From the linked article:

Gotcha. Admittedly I only skimmed it and believed that to be the minor factor here. But this shows it’s non existent.

1 hour ago, BlitzFirst said:

If I want to go downtown, it's 15 min drive.  If i want to go to the beach, it's a 15 min drive.  If I want to go to Towncenter shopping mall, it's a 10-15 min drive depending on traffic.  If I want to go to westside or Orange Park, it's a 15-20 min drive depending on traffic.

This sounds amazing wow