Police Reform

1 hour ago, BlitzFirst said:

Not to mention that if the police just let him run away...what would have happened?  He'd still be alive and have a warrant for his arrest and they'd most likely get him on the flip side or he'd turn himself in.  They had his information and knew who he was.  What harm would it be to not shoot?

Instead, they shot him in the back.

That was a choice to do that...it was ultimate force (killing someone) who had no way of killing you.  Then kicking the dying person on the ground and telling your fellow officer "I got him" like its revenge or something to be proud of.

Lethal force should only be taken if someones life is threatened imho.

He had one of their Tasers and was aiming it at the officers.  The combination of those two important details must be considered.  

3 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

He had one of their Tasers and was aiming it at the officers.  The combination of those two important details must be considered.  

Except the video shows he had already fired the taser and had turned and was running away when he was shot. He was not facing the officer that shot him since he was shot in the back.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, RedDenver said:

Except the video shows he had already fired the taser and had turned and was running away when he was shot. He was not facing the officer that shot him since he was shot in the back.

I went and watched a different video (Wendy's surveillance camera I believe) and the moment after Mr Brooks fired the taser at Ofc Rolfe, the officer veers to his left for cover and simultaneously draws his sidearm and fires one handed.  This all happens in about a second.  Based only on the two videos alone, I don't see how an unbiased jury could possibly convict the officer for murder.  Just my prediction, though.  There's probably other angles and evidence that I'm not going to waste anymore time checking out.  The whole event is terribly tragic and didn't need to happen.

• Plus1 2
7 hours ago, BlitzFirst said:

99.9%?  I dunno if I believe that number at all.  I'd say it's closer to 40% because, as I've expressed before, cops don't inform on other cops doing bad things and that means integrity isn't there.

If they do inform on them, they're run out of the department.

So I'm not as hopeful and cheerful as you are and I think from within your own organization, you've got on a pair of rose colored glasses.

You're unbelievable, don't tell me I'm wearing rose colored glasses when it's obvious you have no clue what you're talking about. I think you're wearing your cop hating glasses and refuse to see anything else. First person I'm putting on ignore after 15 years of being on this board.  

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, BlitzFirst said:

Not to mention that if the police just let him run away...what would have happened?  He'd still be alive and have a warrant for his arrest and they'd most likely get him on the flip side or he'd turn himself in.  They had his information and knew who he was.  What harm would it be to not shoot?

Instead, they shot him in the back.

That was a choice to do that...it was ultimate force (killing someone) who had no way of killing you.  Then kicking the dying person on the ground and telling your fellow officer "I got him" like its revenge or something to be proud of.

Lethal force should only be taken if someones life is threatened imho.

You know...the "cops" that you hate so much let Ted Bundy and Jeff Dahmer go...that ummmm...didn't work out so well.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, BlitzFirst said:

FYI, I'm a US Veteran who fought in a war.  War made me into someone who abhors violence and killing.  Thus, I don't hate cops...I hate violence of all kinds  and specifically violence perpetrated by cops in the name of law and order.

Rose colored glasses are seeing things overly optimistic...don't take it as an insult, it's a normal thing when you're a member of the organization having criticism heaped upon it.

Once again, you're taking something I've said personal...and that's just unfortunate that you can't keep your feelings out of the discussion.

Your opinion is your opinion and just so we understand one another I'm a veteran as well, but that doesn't mean my opinion matters more than anyone else's and I'm not sure what that has to do with anything at this point?! You have a funny way of crafting your posts so that they come across in the manner that I've described in my past posts. So maybe you need to change the way you're crafting them as numerous posters have tried to talk to you in the past about it in this very forum and you've refused to listen. And damn right I take it personal because I take pride in my job and I won't allow you or ANYONE to post some of the things you've posted and not get called out on it!  

• Plus1 4

Around 800,000 full-time employed law enforcement officers in the United States, but I believe included in that number is federal agents, prison guards, homicide detectives, etc. So the number of 'police' on the streets in the way we're talkling about is  smaller.

We've seen at least 500 instances in the last month of police escalating and  causing violence, at a time when you'd imagine they'd be coached into being on their BEST behavior. We've also probably seen the same amount of police  departments and officers on social media and in press conferences crying out that they're being oppressed.

Again, this is only the  stuff we've seen.How much more has happened when there wasn't video? How about when they're not under a microscope? 

There's zero percent chance that 99.9%  of police are good. There's not even a chance that 99% are. Maybe 95%? Even then, 5% with the abillity to cause this kinda carnage is pretty damn frightening. 

• Plus1 2
5 minutes ago, Landlord said:

Around 800,000 full-time employed law enforcement officers in the United States, but I believe included in that number is federal agents, prison guards, homicide detectives, etc. So the number of 'police' on the streets in the way we're talkling about is  smaller.

We've seen at least 500 instances in the last month of police escalating and  causing violence, at a time when you'd imagine they'd be coached into being on their BEST behavior. We've also probably seen the same amount of police  departments and officers on social media and in press conferences crying out that they're being oppressed.

Again, this is only the  stuff we've seen.How much more has happened when there wasn't video? How about when they're not under a microscope? 

There's zero percent chance that 99.9%  of police are good. There's not even a chance that 99% are. Maybe 95%? Even then, 5% with the abillity to cause this kinda carnage is pretty damn frightening. 

Agreed. I think 95% is probably high given these are only the ones caught on camera and you have to include police who either don't report anything or lie about it.