Police Reform

I read that as "warning shot" so that's my bad. But officers are already instructed to shout verbal commands, when possible, about using deadly force, TASER, ASP, etc across the country so shouting commands is nothing new and earth shattering. 

• Plus1 3

• Replies 896
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've always felt the police should be held to a higher standard of obeying the law, compared to the rest of the citizenry.   When in reality they're held to a much lower standard.

@Husker_Bohunk I would never answer if someone talked to me the way you’re talking to BRI. I’d find they aren’t worth talking to. You didn’t even attempt to approach this neutrally.

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I very much do. And I don't disagree with what you're saying. I get the point that good cops need to speak out against bad cops as a matter of regular course (and recently this has happened, a lot), but that doesn't mean it isn't easy, or isn't career suicide.

The biggest problem is in the upper ranks. It takes one bad cop to make one bad arrest. It takes one Lieutenant to make 20 bad cops, or one Captain to make a bad precinct. We gotta weed those guys out first, then we're getting somewhere.

But I think the reality is that policing lends itself to abuse by nature, in that the kind of person who would abuse their badge is drawn to that kind of job. It's been like that since police became a thing however-many generations ago. I think we'll always have abusive cops, just like we'll always have good cops. We just gotta minimize the former while uplifting the latter.

So how do we get to the point where good cops can speak out against bad cops w/o being ostracized or committing career suicide? Career suicide is a very real thing unfortunately.

I think part of that is fostered by the police culture of "The Thin Blue Line" where they're all brothers and sisters looking out for each other. I'm not saying they shouldn't look out for each other, I'm saying they should do it differently, instead of turning a blind eye, step in and stop that brother or sister from making a mistake that makes ALL cops look bad.

I don't disagree with what you said because this is complex issue for sure. I'm just sick of seeing police abuse citizens while other police stand by watching. When I see that happening I say, FTP.

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, BIGREDIOWAN said:

I read that as "warning shot" so that's my bad. But officers are already instructed to shout verbal commands, when possible, about using deadly force, TASER, ASP, etc across the country so shouting commands is nothing new and earth shattering. 

The 8 can't wait feel like a bare minimum, so I'm not surprised some of this is already being done.

• Plus1 1
  • Upvote 1
33 minutes ago, BIGREDIOWAN said:

24 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

The 8 can't wait feel like a bare minimum, so I'm not surprised some of this is already being done.

One thing I wondered is how they're calculating the % reduction they're touting. Seems like that would be extremely hard to calculate. (I haven't looked on the site so yet so I don't know if they attempt to explain it).

6 Atlanta Officers Charged After Release Of 'Disturbing' Arrest Video

Howard's office has filed charges — mostly assorted aggravated assault and battery counts — against a half-dozen officers involved in the arrest: Lonnie Hood, Willie Sauls, Ivory Streeter, Mark Gardner, Armond Jones and Roland Claud. Streeter and Gardner have been fired from the force since Saturday's confrontation, while three others have been placed on desk duty.

Howard said the charges are backed up by extensive interviews with the young couple, Taniyah Pilgrim and Messiah Young, as well as video evidence from bystanders and the officers' body camera footage.

12 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

I mean if they're mandatory to use, yeah. Absolutely.

If they have body cams, they should be mandatory to use. And I would argue they should all have them.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Moiraine said:

I think turning off a body camera should result in getting fired.

Why can they be turned off? Just make ones that are always recording except when they're taken off and placed in the charger back in the precinct.

6 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Why can they be turned off? Just make ones that are always recording except when they're taken off and placed in the charger back in the precinct.

There have also been a lot of people saying they've seen them taped over.

7 hours ago, BlitzFirst said:

I'd argue that there are even less good cops than you allege.

Point me to a good cop and I'll ask them "hey, how many bad cops have you reported?"

Most wouldn't reply at all.

That means they allow bad cops to continue doing bad and don't challenge them.  As the saying goes:

XK8C1bk.png

if we want to reform police, we need to realize that good cops are so rare they are like unicorns because the culture is 'brother/sisterhood" and no one 'tattles' on their brother/sister.  That idea has to go.

As I said, there are even fewer good cops than you allege because of their culture and silence. 

I'm sorry, but this is complete garbage...........

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
18 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/crime/article243234261.html

Stuff like this shouldn't happen EVER.  79 times in 3.5 years and still on the force?  What kept him on?  Union rep?  Union lawyer?  No reports from 'good cops' and just suspicion from IA?

This is what I'm talking about @BIGREDIOWAN , the culture has to change...the culture is to not report wrongdoers because of the blue brother/sisterhood...and if they do get reported...you kick the can down the street and keep them on the force.

It's wrong...no matter how you spin it.

You might not be like that, your dept. might not be like that...and that's cool.  But this is how it is systemically in the US. 

I posted about this already and he already replied to it. Police have to use force sometimes. It doesn't mean they are doing something wrong. We don't know exactly what situations he was dealing with or in what situations they review use of force. And the fact is they were reviewed. If there's a problem it's whether he should have been punished and what the punishment is. But without knowing the details we can't really make a judgement on what it should be.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, RedDenver said:

So, an officer can't go to the bathroom, or have a meal with their family without turning off the cam...?

• Upvote 1