Police Reform

10 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

Thanks. I can see some of your point. 

Waiting a longer period before making blanket statements is probably good advice...but almost never followed.

He easily could have laid out most of the same narratives, but with the gist of "People advocating for x, y, and z should probably be ready to answer concerns related to an increase in the last year of a, b, and c which had been trending downward."

But I don't sell papers, and I would probably write a s***ty article. Actually, I definitely would write a sh**ty article.

• Plus1 1

3 hours ago, DevoHusker said:

You say a small uptick is not newsworthy, because of the overall downward trend. That may be true, from your perspective. 

But, did the numbers drop, overall, before or after those places defunded police departments? Or did the numbers rise, even as a deviation from the downward trend, before or after efforts were made to reduce law enforcement's budgets/numbers/influence?

You have tough bosses.

No, they aren't tough. They know a stupid graph when they see one. They'd probably assume I was trying to make something look better or worse than it is if I'm pointlessly leaving data out which is easy to include.

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1
17 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Why is Lisa only talking about NYC to make a point when it looked like Ezra was talking about cities nationwide?

A different city example showing a peak not seen since late 90’s

https://www.google.com/amp/s/chicago.suntimes.com/platform/amp/crime/2020/11/18/21573378/chicago-homicides-700-murders-2020-gun-violence-shootings

Same problem related to the statistics, new article.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/breaking/ct-history-of-chicago-homicides-htmlstory.html

Looks like 2016 was higher which was also a blip and not the trend. Maybe Ezra should have shown or made said graph to help us out don't you think?

• Plus1 3
11 minutes ago, deedsker said:

Same problem related to the statistics, new article.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/breaking/ct-history-of-chicago-homicides-htmlstory.html

Looks like 2016 was higher which was also a blip and not the trend. Maybe Ezra should have shown or made said graph to help us out don't you think?

Depends on what Ezra was speaking about.  If he talking long term then yea. If he’s talking year over year then no.
Is it a blip when 2021 looks to be higher at this point than the “blip” of last year?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.chicagotribune.com/news/criminal-justice/ct-prem-chicago-crime-first-quarter-2021-20210401-dprv6a7aj5g47m3vc74ovhlvaq-story.html%3foutputType=amp

Other examples such as this are occurring frequently in cities across the country

https://www.kctv5.com/news/local_news/so-far-in-2021-kansas-city-homicide-total-ahead-of-pace-at-this-point-in/article_fff3be70-8a8d-11eb-94cf-f3d0dd8bb833.html

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/missouri/articles/2021-01-03/st-louis-2020-homicide-rate-is-highest-in-50-years

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.freep.com/amp/6563259002

• Plus1 2

9 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

The KC and Detroit fall into the same trap and I don't see the long term statistics. The St. Louis one actually added the rate which is completely appropriate and helpful.

So one out of four that Ezra never mentioned to make his point and made demonstrative conclusions from. See the problem with his supposed conclusive reporting and bold claim.

• Plus1 1
25 minutes ago, deedsker said:

The KC and Detroit fall into the same trap and I don't see the long term statistics. The St. Louis one actually added the rate which is completely appropriate and helpful.

So one out of four that Ezra never mentioned to make his point and made demonstrative conclusions from. See the problem with his supposed conclusive reporting and bold claim.

KC has been on a rise for years.  Not sure what you mean there 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, deedsker said:

In your post the article you referenced doesn't have those stats then. It has the same problem as what started the conversation. 

I still don’t understand why the tweeter referenced a single city (NYC) to try and refute the original tweeters argument about cities as a whole? 

• Plus1 2
10 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

I still don’t understand why the tweeter referenced a single city (NYC) to try and refute the original tweeters argument about cities as a whole? 

They didn't. The tweeter used a single city to show the lack of context in the original tweet, which undermines the entire argument of the original tweet.

• Plus1 2

18 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

They didn't. The tweeter used a single city to show the lack of context in the original tweet, which undermines the entire argument of the original tweet.

The tweeter used a single city to show the lack of context in regards to a tweet about cities nationwide?  Ok...I guess:blink:

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, Archy1221 said:

The tweeter used a single city to show the lack of context in regards to a tweet about cities nationwide?  Ok...I guess:blink:

Yes, the tweeter could have used annual global temp change, GDP change, or literally anything else to show that a simple percentage change of a single sample lacks context to draw conclusions from. But I think you already know that.

• Plus1 2
21 hours ago, RedDenver said:

Yes, the tweeter could have used annual global temp change, GDP change, or literally anything else to show that a simple percentage change of a single sample lacks context to draw conclusions from. But I think you already know that.

Oh I don’t know.  Seems like global warming or GDP doesn’t have much to do with homicide rates but I almost think you knew that.  On to the actual point of the original discussion, many times I get asked for reports from my boss on Qtr over Qtr changes or Yr over Yr changes without ever mentioning the previous 5 years.  If Ezra is talking about year over year change that’s fine. He wasn’t incorrect and his info was worth noting. 

• Plus1 2
4 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Oh I don’t know.  Seems like global warming or GDP doesn’t have much to do with homicide rates but I almost think you knew that.  On to the actual point of the original discussion, many times I get asked for reports from my boss on Qtr over Qtr changes or Yr over Yr changes without ever mentioning the previous 5 years.  If Ezra is talking about year over year change that’s fine. He wasn’t incorrect and his info was worth noting. 

Wherein Archy continues to ignore the fact that everyone else is discussing context and keeps stating the fact was accurate. I'd say he's missing the point, but I think he actually knows the point but deliberately avoiding discussing it.

• Plus1 1