Police Reform

• 2 weeks later...

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

This is a police officer I feel sorry for.  She clearly didn't mean to shoot a guy she was trying to stop from fleeing.

I'm not sure I'm with you on this one BRB - she was an experienced officer, who was wearing her gun and her taser on two different hips.  Help me understand ...

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

This is a police officer I feel sorry for.  She clearly didn't mean to shoot a guy she was trying to stop from fleeing.

I'm sure most drunk drivers don't plan on killing families in car accidents.

Poor choices lead to s#!tty consequences.  If you have the authority to hold tools that are capable of killing people, you'd better be damn sure you don't screw it up.  While I do "feel sorry" for her, I think it is important to hold her accountable.  Otherwise, it could open up a can of worms where policing isn't held to high standards and could lead to even more "malicious" deaths with the defense of "oh, well I didn't mean to do it...."

• Plus1 4
17 minutes ago, funhusker said:

Poor choices lead to s#!tty consequences.  If you have the authority to hold tools that are capable of killing people, you'd better be damn sure you don't screw it up.  While I do "feel sorry" for her, I think it is important to hold her accountable.  Otherwise, it could open up a can of worms where policing isn't held to high standards and could lead to even more "malicious" deaths with the defense of "oh, well I didn't mean to do it...."

Far better said than I did above - 

2 hours ago, funhusker said:

I didn't say she doesn't deserve some liability in this.  But, a drunk driver isn't doing that in the line of their job making split second decisions.

It's a very bad situation for everyone involved.  The first mistake was the guy trying to escape and it was her job to be in that situation to stop him.  She made a mistake that wasn't intentional.

In my mind, this is very very different than other police shootings that we have seen.

• Plus1 2
5 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I didn't say she doesn't deserve some liability in this.  But, a drunk driver isn't doing that in the line of their job making split second decisions.

It's a very bad situation for everyone involved.  The first mistake was the guy trying to escape and it was her job to be in that situation to stop him.  She made a mistake that wasn't intentional.

In my mind, this is very very different than other police shootings that we have seen.

It's definitely different to some degree, but I don't know how much. Even the most egregious police killings have enough plausibility that the cop didn't truly intend or mean to kill the person. 

I do share sympathy for the officer but also think that's the responsibility you voluntarily signed up for.

• Plus1 2
  • 3 weeks later...

22 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Maybe don’t have a warrant out for your arrest :dunno

Doesn't change anything with respect to "building" trust point I was making. The city literally asked the police not to be there to promote more open dialogue about the new police chief.

But arresting someone for peaceful protests, especially protests against the police, certainly make this look extremely bad for the police:

• Plus1 2
  • 2 weeks later...