Local Ads

As I've said before, I understand the needs for ads and whatnot, but is there a way that the board owners could get more local ads on the site? Political leanings aside, I've dismissed Trump ads literally dozens of times because they are ever present, with sometimes 3-4 of them per page. I'd much rather that ad revenue go to local businesses and entities, if possible. 

• Plus1 2

22 hours ago, Cdog923 said:

As I've said before, I understand the needs for ads and whatnot, but is there a way that the board owners could get more local ads on the site? Political leanings aside, I've dismissed Trump ads literally dozens of times because they are ever present, with sometimes 3-4 of them per page. I'd much rather that ad revenue go to local businesses and entities, if possible. 

I don't know the nuances of the ad server and network on Huskerboard ( @BigRedMax would be the one to weigh in ), but speaking from experience in the digital marketing industry, this is sort of a multi-layered issue.

For starters, the site appears to be running programmatic campaigns in the ad positions. These are basically going to local/global online bidders vying for eyeballs while also taking into account your search behavior and location. If Huskerboard owned and operated it's own exclusive ad agency then you would probably see more local ads and less programmatic, but sites like this don't really do that. Somebody could potentially buy specific inventory on this site if they wanted but I doubt that's happening.

Also, a lot of smaller and/or local advertisers are still pretty gun shy right now. The digital ad industry took a massive hit in March through May as advertisers all over the country/world pulled back on budgets. Many of them have yet to come back.

Lastly, you may not see a lot of local advertisers appear in these types of campaigns on this site anyway. Doing generic programmatic buys online aren't necessarily an effective use of ad dollars.

I'm certain BRM has some ability to control what's coming into the site as we've seen him respond to these kinds of requests. I mainly mention all this just because I don't really know if 'show me more local' is a feasible option. He has revenue goals and he probably won't get there just by relying on locally sourced ads.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1