Peaceful Protest 2020

On 6/5/2020 at 5:20 PM, Moiraine said:

This is what I thought might happen. I think a lot more people will vote because of the events of the past 2 weeks.

For sure. I didn't think Biden stood much of a chance a couple weeks ago, but now? If the momentum from this keeps up into election season, I actually expect him to win. If voting numbers do climb, especially in the minority communities, it doesn't give much credence to the idea (excuse) that minorities were somehow prevented from voting in the past.

1 hour ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

For sure. I didn't think Biden stood much of a chance a couple weeks ago, but now? If the momentum from this keeps up into election season, I actually expect him to win. If voting numbers do climb, especially in the minority communities, it doesn't give much credence to the idea (excuse) that minorities were somehow prevented from voting in the past.

I think that will depend on what the logistics of the voting looks like.  If the numbers are through the roof and there aren’t insanely long lines, I’ll agree.  

But people might be pissed off enough to wait in line for hours. That wouldn’t refute any voter suppression argument.  It might actually prove it; especially if precincts in “minority areas” don’t adjust to the influx of registered voters.

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

If voting numbers do climb, especially in the minority communities, it doesn't give much credence to the idea (excuse) that minorities were somehow prevented from voting in the past.

The primaries held in Georgia just a few days ago show pretty clearly that voter suppression is real.

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

How's that?

Closure of polling places, harassment by cops of Black voters, long lines in largely minority areas but next to no lines in largely White, suburban areas.

You'd have to be trying not to know these things not to know these things.

• Plus1 3