Peaceful Protest 2020

Saw "CHAZ" mentioned here before and hadn't heard of it, googled it and nothing came up.

It wasn't until I saw this that I figured it out.  Funny when people accidentally disclose where they get their info.

Fox News is Lying About Seattle’s ‘Autonomous Zone’

It’s more Woodstock than war zone.

SEATTLE — On Fox News, host Tucker Carlson called it “chaos and craziness.” Laura Ingraham said it was “a Marxist cultural revolution” intended to “destroy everything that came before it.” In a tweet, President Donald Trump said it was being run by “Domestic Terrorists.”

These people are not describing a foreign war zone or a fallen city. They are describing the Capitol Hill Autonomous Zone, a roughly six-block area of Seattle taken over by protesters this week and declared a sovereign territory. Since the zone was established Monday, the internet has been filled with rumors about what it looks like and how it works. Fox News posted a photo of an armed guard at the entrance to the zone and said residents were being forced to show their IDs to get inside. Seattle Police Chief Carmen Best claimed that protesters were shaking down businesses for protection money. Something something Antifa something, cried various online pundits.

All of these rumors are false, and all of these people are lying to you. I live less than a mile from the autonomous zone. I have been there every day this week, in daylight and in darkness, speaking with protesters, meeting with friends, seeing movies and eating pizza.

Don’t believe the right-wing hype. The Capitol Hill Autonomous Zone is just the latest in a series of cities demonized in right-wing media with no regard to the circumstances on the ground. In the early 2010s, Rush Limbaugh, Bill O’Reilly and other conservative pundits spread the rumor that Dearborn, Michigan, had converted its legal system to sharia law. Since then, Fox News and other conservative outlets have aired warnings of “no-go zones,” neighborhoods of European capitals so overwhelmed with immigrants and crime that police officers have abandoned them.

3 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Saw "CHAZ" mentioned here before and hadn't heard of it, googled it and nothing came up.

It wasn't until I saw this that I figured it out.  Funny when people accidentally disclose where they get their info.

There's also people saying that they've run out of food, but when I went looking for the source of that it appears to be a single, unverified tweet.

4 hours ago, knapplc said:

First...you never heard of it?  How is that possible with the amount of time you spend on this stuff?

The business owners that are in CHAZ say it has not been bad at all.  Some "graffiti" but that is about it.  

And they are asking for supplies.   

4 hours ago, RedDenver said:

image.jpeg.251772df22843016b3ec3ee453477ee2.jpeg

This is also "abnormal", yet police don't seem to care...

I just don't get the world we live in.

Edit: I'll say this: the way the police acted in the video @RedDenver posted is exactly the way I think they should.  They determined he was a guy just trying to prove a point and let him go on with his day.  A person open carrying in public should be subject to police concern.  In the age of mass shooting, it would be irresponsible of police to just "let it go." I just wish the 40 year old white guy carrying a gun at Hy-Vee was considered a threat, simply because statistics says he is.

• 3 weeks later...

Welp...violence again in the protest zone over in Seattle.  Had to be cleared out.  The place is totally vandalized.  So weird.  Hmmmm.  The father of the kid that was killed in CHAZ was not ever even notified by the CHAZers.  f#&%ing losers. 

I wonder how many crops they were able to produce. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

20 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Welp...violence again in the protest zone over in Seattle.  Had to be cleared out.  The place is totally vandalized.  So weird.  Hmmmm.  The father of the kid that was killed in CHAZ was not ever even notified by the CHAZers.  f#&%ing losers. 

I wonder how many crops they were able to produce. 

Could you put this in the thread it belongs in and stop trying to crap on this thread, which is about peaceful protests. Thanks

32 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Could you put this in the thread it belongs in and stop trying to crap on this thread, which is about peaceful protests. Thanks

No...because CHAZ was supposed to be peaceful.

So, could we only talk about it here WHEN it was still peaceful...for the first 4 days?

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1