Peaceful Protest 2020

• 2 weeks later...

None of us are as badass as this guy. I can peacefully protest if it's not too hot out & the sun isn't directly in my eyes and I have a latte nearby.

And then there's this guy who can get waled on with batons & pepper sprayed and be "disappointed."

This - THIS - is a true badass.

EDIT - holy moly read this whole unwrapped thread. This guy is what John Wayne hoped to be.

“I’m appalled and disappointed at the feds’ behavior — that whoever led them and trained them allowed them to become this way,” Mr. David said. “This is a failure of leadership more than it is a failure of their own individual behavior towards me.” ImageImage
He wasn't paying close attention to the protests until he saw the video of feds in cammies grabbing protesters off the street and tossing them in rented minivans. That made him get on the bus and head down to the protests himself last night
He thought it wasn't worth going down and risking potential covid exposure before, but Chris told me "it reached that threshold when I saw Pinochet-type behavior from our own government. That’s what got me out there"
"There was no attempt to de-escalate" on the part of the feds, he said. "They’re pissed that I'm standing in their way and I’m not moving."
Watching the video today, he thought of the cammied feds "They looked like little shrimps compared to me. I’m only 6’ 2” that’s not extraordinarily tall, that really surprised me."
He laughed and said of the cop who beat him with a baton "That little dude was really laying into me, wasn’t he?"
He gave props and thanks to a street medic named Tabs, who helped him after he walked away from the feds, and later got him into an ambulance
Chris didn't leave the hospital until around 5:30 a.m. and took an Uber home. When we spoke earlier this evening, he still had not gone to sleep yet
"Every organization reflects the nature of its leader," he said of the feds on the streets of Portland. "There are some leaders in that organization who have become seriously lost. I see it as a breakdown of leadership on a very fundamental level."
Suffice it to say I enjoyed the hell out of talking to Chris. You can follow him at @Tazerface16
He laughed at his Twitter account blowing up today, saying he had like 8 followers before all this happened. "My life has turned pretty dramatically weird over the past 12 hours," he told me. "I’m a pretty private person."

• Thanks 1

Trump is going full in on trying to be the 'law and order' president.  He must see this as his only hope in getting re-elected. 

Sounds like a Nixonian thing - trying to stir up the 'silent majority'.  He wants to be the War President.  He lost the covid war so now it is a War on Americans.

https://www.axios.com/trump-chicago-federal-law-enforcement-surge-9359582c-f7e5-4a17-a94b-76f8c9431047.html

President Trump and Attorney General Bill Barr announced on Wednesday that the Justice Department will "immediately surge" federal law enforcement officers to Chicago and Albuquerque in an effort to combat violent crime.

The big picture: The deployment is an expansion of Operation Legend, which the Justice Department launched on July 8 in Kansas City, Mo., as a coordinated initiative "across all federal law enforcement agencies working in conjunction with state and local law enforcement officials to fight the sudden surge of violent crime."

• The operation has seen hundreds of federal agents sent to Kansas City to help quell violence that erupted after the shooting death of four-year-old LeGend Taliferro, for whom Operation Legend is named.
  • Chicago has also seen a surge in violence, including a mass shooting on Tuesday night that left 14 injured.

Details: The administration will send about 200 officers to Chicago and 35 to Albuquerque from the FBI, ATF, Drug Enforcement Agency, U.S. Marshals service and the Department of Homeland Security, which has been stationed in Portland as Black Lives Matter protests have continued for over 50 days.

Between the lines: Operation Legend is distinct from the Department of Homeland Security's presence in Portland, which was established under an executive order seeking to protect monuments and federal property from protesters.

• Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot said Wednesday she had received assurances that the federal agents would be focused on dealing with gun violence, not targeting protesters. "We welcome actual partnership, but we do not welcome dictatorship," Lightfoot said. "We do not welcome authoritarianism."
  • Reports of unidentified federal agents snatching protesters into unmarked vans in Portland have sparked intense backlash against the Trump administration.

The bottom line: President Trump has staked his re-election hopes on a law-and-order message by promising to send law enforcement to more Democratic-led cities, which now find themselves in the topsy-turvy position of having to resist federal government action, Axios' Shane Savitsky notes.

• "If Biden got in, that would be true for the country," Trump told reporters Monday after saying more agents would be deployed. "The whole country would go to hell. And we’re not going to let it go to hell."

•  

kind of nice for him to admit that operation legend is purely a political move for the election

"If Biden got in, that would be true for the country," Trump told reporters Monday after saying more agents would be deployed. "The whole country would go to hell. And we’re not going to let it go to hell."

as if we are not in hell already under his administration.  worst possible response to the pandemic, economic downturn, massive unemployment, riots, and now the secret police driving around pulling people into unmarked vans.

amazing how close to reality the dead kennedys were when they sang "we have a bigger problem now".   just a few years off and the wrong name of the president

• Plus1 1