Former Iowa players speak out about racial disparities within the program

Toe

That last statement too flat out telling recruits not to come to Iowa.  Damn.

It's Iowa.  I'd actually be shocked if Ferentz ever 'stepped down' or if anything happens to him at all.   I'm sure they've wrapped up their investigation stopping at Chris Doyle.  Nothing else to see here.

1 hour ago, suh_fan93 said:

That last statement too flat out telling recruits not to come to Iowa.  Damn.

It's Iowa.  I'd actually be shocked if Ferentz ever 'stepped down' or if anything happens to him at all.   I'm sure they've wrapped up their investigation stopping at Chris Doyle.  Nothing else to see here.

Doyle got his cash to shut up...it was a smart move by Iowa because they didn't need/want that moron talking more

"I felt like playing for Iowa Football was a living nightmare. I never drank alcohol prior to going to college but based on my experience there it became the only thing I could rely on it seems and was what I did to cope."

"I wish I never played for the Iowa Hawkeyes. I would not encourage any future athletes or parents to send your kid to go play for the Iowa Hawkeyes under that current coaching staff."

The formatting is easier to read on Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/ThePlayersRep/posts/1786483394823692

send this to every Iowa recruit, please

13 hours ago, Head Coach Scott Frost said:

I could totally see this being coach Ferentz's last year.  Somewhat similar to Urban Meyer situation with seemingly little blow back preseason and instead a quiet departure at the end.  

I don't know if it affects Kirk's timeline or job security, but I'm almost positive it means his son Brian won't be succeeding him. 

• Plus1 2
  • 3 weeks later...

Heard the sports guys on 1620 talking about this article that is sourced from a Freedom of Information Act request. This looks...not great for our neighbors to the east. Especially since this FoIA request is from a previous study, not from the current investigation into the football team from a law firm in Kansas City.

https://www.hawkeyenation.com/features/19-athletic-department-study-showed-serious-racial-bias-in-iowa-football

This latest information shows that Ferentz knew well before the June social media storm that Black players felt they were:

• Expected to conform to White culture
  • Subjected to verbal harassment
  • Targeted for extra drug testing
  • Misled about resources available to them during the recruiting process
  • Subjected to inequitable discipline policies and double standards
  • Misunderstood by both coaches and White player
  • Unsupported in their academic pursuits

• Plus1 1

So Ferentz was straight up lying last month.  I bet that went over well.

Ferentz read the full report detailing racial inequities in 2019. Based on that, he initiated some changes before last season. “We allowed (student-athletes) to wear hats, earrings, [and hoodies] but what I learned here is there’s a lot more to it,” Ferentz said. “We’ve got to dig deeper, listen better, and act on things that count.”

On June 7, Ferentz said that he didn’t recall learning of anything that alarmed him or alerted him to inappropriate treatment of student-athletes in his program prior to Daniels and others speaking out publicly last month.

“I think you could argue that (the Iowa Football culture) has been healthy based on results,” the coach said last month. “My responsibility and my charge is to make sure (racism) isn’t prevalent in our program…I would not quantify that as a major issue right now.”

Link

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

“My responsibility and my charge is to make sure (racism) isn’t prevalent in our program…I would not quantify that as a major issue right now.”

Seems like he has a lot of players who disagree. Although the current ones are doing a pretty good job insisting things are better, for what it's worth during voluntary workouts when things are pretty limited. 

• Plus1 1

Wow!!

This report is so bad for Iowa. The fact that seemingly all minority players felt isolated and without any support is bad enough but then add in the barrage of slandering and wow!! How does the coaching staff and administrators stay employed after reading this report? Surly, this will hurt Iowa's recruiting, yes?

• Thanks 1