Nebraska Leading the Way in NIL

Opendorse has projected some potential earnings for the most-followed athlete in each Husker sport.

Student-Athletes Will Soon Be Social Media Influencers. And One College Program Is Helping Them Do It.

More than 600 University of Nebraska student-athletes are expected to return to campus for the fall semester. Like their peers, they will train to compete in their respective sports while presumably working toward a degree. They will don their school colors to perpetuate a billion-dollar industry without so much as receiving a living wage in return.

But unlike other student-athletes around the country, each and every Husker — from the senior starting point guard to the redshirt javelin thrower — will have an entire team dedicated to helping them build and maximize their personal brands.

“We wanted to find a way that benefits all student-athletes,” said Garrett Klassy, the Nebraska senior deputy athletic director who was instrumental in facilitating the arrangement. “This is something that will benefit the young men and women in our programs for the rest of their lives.”

Every student-athlete will be provided a valuation of their brand as well as insights into how to boost engagement and augment their social media following. Content calendars, performance benchmarks and various strategies will be provided to every athlete representing the scarlet and cream.

“You can’t look at a member of the women’s rifle team and provide them the same plan as somebody on the football team,” said Opendorse CEO and co-founder Blake Lawrence, a former Husker linebacker. “Their calendars and schedules don’t match up. It’s not a one-size-fits-all approach.”

EUXT2sP.png

• Plus1 2

2 hours ago, Decoy73 said:

I admit, I have no clue how those earnings are calculated. 

Well basically, it starts with a consultant bending over. He then proceeds to reach around and pull something out of his a$$. That something becomes a number that you see on this list. He then repeats this process until he has a full list of numbers for all of the school's student athletes.

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Decoy73 said:

I admit, I have no clue how those earnings are calculated. 

7 minutes ago, Toe said:

Well basically, it starts with a consultant bending over. He then proceeds to reach around and pull something out of his a$$. That something becomes a number that you see on this list. He then repeats this process until he has a full list of numbers for all of the school's student athletes.

^^This is hilarious lol

Decoy if you are actually curious I work in marketing. These estimates are likely based off what other "influencers" with a similar following make most likely on average for posts and then the average number of deals they make in a year. Some people have set fees, but a lot of this type of marketing is negotiated on a per campaign basis depending on a large variety of factors. Opendorse would have a lot of experience in the average price per post.

• Plus1 2
47 minutes ago, Toe said:

Well basically, it starts with a consultant bending over. He then proceeds to reach around and pull something out of his a$$ and multiplies it by 1.5x. That something becomes a number that you see on this list. He then repeats this process until he has a full list of numbers for all of the school's student athletes.

FIFY, additional correct info is in bold.

• Haha 1

I am not familiar with what money can be made on the internet but I would think Husker athletes ought to do much better than those #s in just personal appearance jobs around the state.  

Businesses would likely pay well for autograph signers and meet & greets etc.  

Big bucks for such deals.  ?  

Maybe someone knows how all this can now be done. 

• Plus1 1

Don’t understand this at all. Is this saying that Adrian could generate that much for tweets or clicks or whatevers in ad revenue?  Are we preparing to pay them that amount when it’s legally approved? Is this a service that manages athlete’s social media accounts? So many question. I guess I’m too old 

I have the impression that Opendorse is not a UNL Ath Dept operation - rather more like a privately owned / operated entity (for profit) that will help the players market themselves on-line.  Not sure but seems like agents of sorts that will be the consultants or reps to help as promoters. 

I doubt that Ath Dept as such gets a cut of the $ nor would be the agents.  Lots of legal issues in the non profit org engaging in for profit activities as well as liability ??s. 

But just an outsiders’ view - I have  no real inside info on it. 

1 hour ago, krc1995 said:

Don’t understand this at all. Is this saying that Adrian could generate that much for tweets or clicks or whatevers in ad revenue?  Are we preparing to pay them that amount when it’s legally approved? Is this a service that manages athlete’s social media accounts? So many question. I guess I’m too old 

This is how much businesses/brands would pay, in aggregate, to have AM post endorsements on his social media channels. So, for example, Adidas pays AM $1,000 to post a picture on his Instagram saying how much he loves their new shoes or gear, etc. Opendorse likely helps manage their accounts and organize contracts, etc.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, WyoHusker56 said:

This is how much businesses/brands would pay, in aggregate, to have AM post endorsements on his social media channels. So, for example, Adidas pays AM $1,000 to post a picture on his Instagram saying how much he loves their new shoes or gear, etc. Opendorse likely helps manage their accounts and organize contracts, etc.

After graduation? I didn’t think we could pay athletes yet