Early Enrollee Discussion

6 hours ago, Stumpy1 said:

He was homesick.  The coaches worked hard to keep him through winter conditioning and he actually started to feel comfortable being here and then Covid hit.  

One example of why I don’t like early enrollees.  Lots of maturing is done in that final 6 months. 

unless they’re local of course. 

1 hour ago, krc1995 said:

One example of why I don’t like early enrollees.  Lots of maturing is done in that final 6 months. 

Almost like there is a coming to terms with leaving one phase of life and entering another in that last 6 months. Some kids think they can just skip it, and a decent amount of the time it works. But some kids aren't ready to make that jump like they think. 

27 minutes ago, Atbone95 said:

Almost like there is a coming to terms with leaving one phase of life and entering another in that last 6 months. Some kids think they can just skip it, and a decent amount of the time it works. But some kids aren't ready to make that jump like they think. 

Can you imagine no prom, no graduation walk, no senior skip day (ok- maybe that’s a bad example)? And then just the general wrapping up of your childhood life. Then add in pictures on social media. 

of course Covid removed those things for this year’s grads,  but the shut down and the fear of an unknown virus might have been pretty lonely and isolating.  Still, I think it was much ado about nothing. Glad he’s on our side 

1 minute ago, krc1995 said:

Can you imagine no prom, no graduation walk, no senior skip day (ok- maybe that’s a bad example)? And then just the general wrapping up of your childhood life. Then add in pictures on social media. 

of course Covid removed those things for this year’s grads,  but the shut down and the fear of an unknown virus might have been pretty lonely and isolating.  Still, I think it was much ado about nothing. Glad he’s on our side 

Some kids are different.  I didn't go to prom as I thought it was a waste of money.  Didn't get to participate in senior ditch day as my dad worked at the school.  I think I would have been fine skipping the last part of my senior year to get a head start at playing

21 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

Some kids are different.  I didn't go to prom as I thought it was a waste of money.  Didn't get to participate in senior ditch day as my dad worked at the school.  I think I would have been fine skipping the last part of my senior year to get a head start at playing

were you an early enrollee that moved 2000 miles to not to do those things with people older than you?

Not being snarky, but I think your situations are probably pretty different. 

2 hours ago, krc1995 said:

I'm sure it's not easy for some guys.

But what percentage of early enrollees have we lost after one semester in the last 10 years?

• Plus1 2
3 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I'm sure it's not easy for some guys.

But what percentage of early enrollees have we lost after one semester in the last 10 years?

how about after two practices- that would be at least one and hopefully not two. Of course this situation is novel and that info would not yield anything useful. I was wondering if there is an easy way look up data specific to early enrollees. Not sure if anyone tracks this. I guess just getting a list of enrollees and googling them would work too. 

I would like to see graduation rates from Nebraska for early enrollees. And maybe cross compare with recruiting coaches. 

• Plus1 1
24 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

how about after two practices- that would be at least one and hopefully not two. Of course this situation is novel and that info would not yield anything useful. I was wondering if there is an easy way look up data specific to early enrollees. Not sure if anyone tracks this. I guess just getting a list of enrollees and googling them would work too. 

I would like to see graduation rates from Nebraska for early enrollees. And maybe cross compare with recruiting coaches. 

I don't remember any other early enrollees leaving after one semester.  Or anyone not making it through at least one season for anything other than disciplinary reasons.  

So I think this is a pretty isolated incident that probably doesn't have anything to do with being an early enrollee.

17 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I don't remember any other early enrollees leaving after one semester.  Or anyone not making it through at least one season for anything other than disciplinary reasons.  

So I think this is a pretty isolated incident that probably doesn't have anything to do with being an early enrollee.

So what are the benefits of being an early enrollee? 

It’s hard to gauge if arriving to campus early affects the athlete’s long term success, both as a student and as an athlete. You’d have to comparing them against the same recruiting class, and maybe even against the same recruiting class and recruiting stars. Maybe even against other the early enrollees of other teams and I would argue against different geographical location. Nebraska winters can only be experienced. And then it’s still a guess. 

for me, I’d be curious to know how many graduated from N or left early to enter the pros- not to many of those I know. I don’t even care about playing time or other metrics of quality participation. Really, I suspect once you gather and compare this data, the benefits of being on campus early would be negligible. 

I remember going to college at UNL and the first semester was exciting and full.    It flew by.   The 2nd semester was a lot harder.  Tougher to walk to class.   Less outdoor activities.  Classes were harder.  I scheduled too many .  Not fun.   I definitely got homesick during that semester.   

• Plus1 1

4 minutes ago, flatwaterfan said:

I remember going to college at UNL and the first semester was exciting and full.    It flew by.   The 2nd semester was a lot harder.  Tougher to walk to class.   Less outdoor activities.  Classes were harder.  I scheduled too many .  Not fun.   I definitely got homesick during that semester.   

Not sure I would encourage kids to be early enrollee's.   How many early enrollee's have made a difference for us?   How many have stuck around?    That's just me though.  Everyone is different.  

Ever hear of a guy named Wan’Dale Robinson?

Adrian Martinez?

Luke McCaffrey?

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, Decked said:

Ever hear of a guy named Wan’Dale Robinson?

The post did ask how many make noise right away, not just can you name one. The answer in 2019 was 1/7, or 14% made a significant impact.  28% (2/7), total got a lot of playing time with Nelson also.

40 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

So what are the benefits of being an early enrollee? 

Getting started earlier on weight training, nutirition, playbook and practice.

Getting acclimated to college life for a semester before you hit the craziness of balancing classes while practicing five days a week with games every week.

• Plus1 1
33 minutes ago, runningblind said:

The post did ask how many make noise right away, not just can you name one. The answer in 2019 was 1/7, or 14% made a significant impact.  28% (2/7), total got a lot of playing time with Nelson also.

Kind of tough to lump them all together.  Linemen are pretty unlikely to contribute in year one regardless of if the are an early enrollee or not.  Henrich probably would have at least been on the field (not sure what extent) but for injury.  McCaffrey, Robinson and Nelson all saw significant time.  The only one left would be Nance.