Pre-Season Pressers

Just now, hunter49 said:

i hope AM has got his edge back, some comments coming out now seem a bit disturbing?

The comments are a bit weird, but I think a lot is being made of them when they were just meant to be acknowledged as a factor, not the reason Martinez had a down year. Verduzco downplayed it a lot, he really seemed to be implying the issues were more on everyone except the QB. I don't think his comments, or even Frost's, were trying to say Martinez struggled because he didn't take it seriously - just that there's no substitute for competition and we didn't have that last year.

Are they going to do pressers regularly throughout all of fall camp, or are they going to be less frequent this year?

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

The comments are a bit weird, but I think a lot is being made of them when they were just meant to be acknowledged as a factor, not the reason Martinez had a down year. Verduzco downplayed it a lot, he really seemed to be implying the issues were more on everyone except the QB. I don't think his comments, or even Frost's, were trying to say Martinez struggled because he didn't take it seriously - just that there's no substitute for competition and we didn't have that last year.

Are they going to do pressers regularly throughout all of fall camp, or are they going to be less frequent this year?

What comments?

2 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

This, and Frost said something similar along the lines of Martinez won't be lax in his preparation again, implying it happened to a degree last year. Thought that quote was in this thread somewhere, but I don't see it now.

Thanks! I wasn't sure if it was this or something else. It's troubling that Martinez was "lax" like that. But with McCaffrey on his heels, he'll either never do that again or he'll be watching from the sidelines.

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, hunter49 said:

i hope AM has got his edge back, some comments coming out now seem a bit disturbing?

I've come to believe that upwards of 90% or more of sports interviews are generally worthless, any way you slice it.

Verduzco probably wants to do those interviews about as bad as he wants to sit down and listen to a two hour nails-on-chalkboard symphony. I'm guessing he just does his best to give some kind of answer one way or the other.

First thing I'll be looking at this season is whether Martinez has time to throw the ball. Second thing is whether he takes off and runs when a hole is there and the play is broken.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, Undone said:

I've come to believe that upwards of 90% or more of sports interviews are generally worthless, any way you slice it.

Verduzco probably wants to do those interviews about as bad as he wants to sit down and listen to a two hour nails-on-chalkboard symphony. I'm guessing he just does his best to give some kind of answer one way or the other.

First thing I'll be looking at this season is whether Martinez has time to throw the ball. Second thing is whether he takes off and runs when a hole is there and the play is broken.

They can't answer honestly, that is why.  The coaches office, those are the honest answers.  But reporters don't get to hear those comments (Unless you are secretly recording Bo).

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 3
Just now, Undone said:

I lol'd.

It is so true though.  Even at the HS level, the s#!t coaches say to reporters/parents is so phony compared to what they say in the coaches office.

Let me give you one from 2 seasons ago...QB takes off and instead of diving for a TD, slows down and basically turns into a human pillbug (or potato bug) if you will.

HC to parents and reporter:  "He made a really smart play on that drive, protecting the ball and getting what he could"

HC in locker room 15 minutes later:  "That kid is f#&%ing soft...and his parents drive me nuts.  Who stops at the 1 yard line"

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
4 minutes ago, teachercd said:

It is so true though.  Even at the HS level, the s#!t coaches say to reporters/parents is so phony compared to what they say in the coaches office.

Let me give you one from 2 seasons ago...QB takes off and instead of diving for a TD, slows down and basically turns into a human pillbug (or potato bug) if you will.

HC to parents and reporter:  "He made a really smart play on that drive, protecting the ball and getting what he could"

HC in locker room 15 minutes later:  "That kid is f#&%ing soft...and his parents drive me nuts.  Who stops at the 1 yard line"

I laughed at remembering the Bo recording tbh.