Pre-Season Pressers

5 minutes ago, GBRFAN said:

I feel like the biggest knock on Martinez may be his lack of quick and multiple sequence thinking.  When we lacked depth it was only a slight factor because we couldn't play fast with the limited players getting tired.  If depth is close to equal for the 2 deep a quick thinker and reactor becomes a better option at QB. 

I'm not quite ready to say that he lacks quick decision making. I have to see an offensive line and tight ends that block long enough to give him time to go through his reads without the pocket collapsing.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

5 minutes ago, Undone said:

I'm not quite ready to say that he lacks quick decision making. I have to see an offensive line and tight ends that block long enough to give him time to go through his reads without the pocket collapsing.

i hear you and hopefully the OL gives us a chance to see.  I just feel that some answers by the staff about AM have hinted towards great athlete maybe not so much in the mind of what they were hoping for.... No exact quote just a bunch of little snapshots that make it seem real.  Either way hope whoever takes snaps this season gets what they deserve which is a clean pocket more times then not.

40 minutes ago, ScarletRevival said:

Isn't there a "community positive rate" that we have to worry about? If so, is the "community" the overall athletic department or the municipality in which the university is located in?

I hope that as a team they have herd immunity, it's probably the best way to fend off this virus.

I thought that was in the BIG doctrine to allow games. I remember the 5% and 7% being the parameters of something community related. 

23 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

I thought that was in the BIG doctrine to allow games. I remember the 5% and 7% being the parameters of something community related. 

It refers to the athletic department community and not the actual city community. The Husker Track & Field team shutting down over test isn't encouraging though.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, SECHusker said:

Reading between the lines of the interviews, we don't have a WR that has truly emerged outside of Werner, Brown, and Robinson. For those guys, 50/50 balls aren't there thing. With that in mind, thinking the strength of the offense will be to rely on the running game, short/intermediate passes, and TEs. I think we'll look more like JT Barrett's Ohio State, or Malzahn's Auburn. Even though I'm a Martinez guy, the person best suited for that offense is McCaffrey. McCaffrey is no where near the arm talent of Martinez, but if we play to the strength of our offense he won't have to be. McCaffrey is definitely the more willing/effective runner. I hope the taller 50/50 receivers make strides as I believe it gives our offense a higher ceiling, but for right now we are what we are, and won't be surprised if McCaffrey starts vs OSU.

That's what makes the Omar situation so frustrating, because if you watch his highlights all he is doing is running past people and catching jump balls.  Now it was in Juco, but probably a better gauge than high school highlights.  We obviously don't know the situation so hopefully it works out, but I don't like the fact that nobody has said anything positive about him.  Additionally, I was kind of hoping Bett's would start making some noise.  As you can notice, I very badly want to see a receiver over 6'2.  :)

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Undone said:

This was a great post, by the way.

I also have no real dog in the fight of the conversation on whether McCaffrey is somehow our QB1, other than an inclination that Martinez is the better all-around guy (as you point out). My only observation from last year is that when McCaffrey was in, teams cheated the line of scrimmage and blitzed because their DCs didn't believe he could throw.

In one game, we basically leveraged that as a sort of trick play (and I remember a ton of disagreement on this board on whether it was or wasn't a trick play, ha).

One thing that isn't proven yet with McCaffrey is if his relatively slight frame (and notice I said "relatively") could actually take a lot of hits yet. My gut instinct is "yes," but on paper I'm not so sure. That's another element in and of itself. I get it; he's a McCaffrey and he's tough as nails...but still.

Anyway, your analysis on looking like the JT Barrett Ohio State offense or Auburn's zone read is interesting! Just hope we play enough games to get to find out.   :unsure:

Defenses adapting to him is one of my main concerns, my other is losing a year of leadership and development for Adrian. While the T-Mart era was at times fun to watch and productive, I don't care to see part two of it. Especially when we have recruited 6'2''+ WRs  and a downfield threat TE for next year, that aren't coming here just to block for short WRs.  Frost is in a difficult situation, I hope he finds a way to effectively navigate it.

12 minutes ago, SECHusker said:

Defenses adapting to him is one of my main concerns, my other is losing a year of leadership and development for Adrian. While the T-Mart era was at times fun to watch and productive, I don't care to see part two of it. Especially when we have recruited 6'2''+ WRs  and a downfield threat TE for next year, that aren't coming here just to block for short WRs.  Frost is in a difficult situation, I hope he finds a way to effectively navigate it.

Agreed.

I hope someone corrects this if it's wrong but I'm pretty sure there weren't a lot of great FBS offers for Luke as a QB. I know Ohio State offered him a scholarship, but I don't think it was for sure to be a QB.

As you say - really similar to the T-Mart situation. Hopefully nobody misconstrues this as saying that Luke won't or can't be a great QB here someday. But all the evidence I feel like I have says he's got quite a ways to go with his arm, and this isn't exactly Tim Beck's offense with how much running the QB is asked to do.

29 minutes ago, CAHusker said:

That's what makes the Omar situation so frustrating, because if you watch his highlights all he is doing is running past people and catching jump balls. 

Right, he's pretty much exactly the type of receiver we desperately needed last year but didn't have. That lack of a real deep threat was one of the two main problems with the offense last year (the other being the OL).