Pre-Season Pressers

On 10/14/2020 at 5:23 PM, Undone said:

I'm not quite ready to say that he lacks quick decision making. I have to see an offensive line and tight ends that block long enough to give him time to go through his reads without the pocket collapsing.

This is where film > TV.  We saw Martinez looked lost on innumerable pass plays last year.  What the TV doesn't show is a receiver running wrong or bad routes.  Martinez is coached to key on pre-snap and quick, post snap keys to then deliver a pass.  There are a lot of things fans didn't see.  However, I am pumped Luke is in the conversation.  Some wilt under that pressure, some get better.  We'll see who rises...

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1
28 minutes ago, Decked said:

I don’t mean to sound too defeatist here but if Liewer, Falck, & Warner are some of the top guys we have it’s gonna be a long season. I’m fine with just Warner being a top guy but we need Omar to be 100% badly. 

Lubbick talked about Betts coming on during his interview. Obviously Wan'Dale and then Alante Brown are mentioned a lot and I've heard Marcus Fleming come up. Oliver Martin was also brought up, but he needs a waiver to play. Hickman has come up this offseason too. So, if Liewer and Falck are back up guys playing well I don't think that's discouraging especially with Liewer at 6'3".

That being said we definitely need Omar and I am disappointed at the lack of mentions for Demaryion Houston and Jamie Nance so far and that's probably why Liewer and Falck are moving up.

31 minutes ago, Mavric said:

23 minutes ago, DefenderAO said:

This is where film > TV.  We saw Martinez looked lost on innumerable pass plays last year.  What the TV doesn't show is a receiver running wring or bad routes.  Martinez is coached to key on pre-snap and quick, post snap keys to then deliver a pass.  There are a lot of things fans didn't see.  However, I am pumped Luke is in the conversation.  Some wilt under that pressure, some get better.  We'll see who rises...

The quote above is somewhat of an indication that what you wrote here was at least part of the problem.  If 2AM couldn't trust the WRs to be running the correct route, then he is going to look hesitant and lost at times.

• Plus1 3
7 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

Lubbick talked about Betts coming on during his interview. Obviously Wan'Dale and then Alante Brown are mentioned a lot and I've heard Marcus Fleming come up. Oliver Martin was also brought up, but he needs a waiver to play. Hickman has come up this offseason too. So, if Liewer and Falck are back up guys playing well I don't think that's discouraging especially with Liewer at 6'3".

That being said we definitely need Omar and I am disappointed at the lack of mentions for Demaryion Houston and Jamie Nance so far and that's probably why Liewer and Falck are moving up.

I think the best two things I heard were Betts coming on and Brown being healthy - wasn't there a rumor he'd been hurt around the same time as Nixon? Could be wrong there. Best news would've been "Omar has now been healthy for a week or so and been uncoverable," but oh well. 

I'm not that concerned about Warner/Liewer/Falck being in the main group. Warner has more talent than some people think - we've had good receivers that run 4.7. Liewer's height is intriguing, and Falck did catch 11 passes for 140 yards against KSU a couple years ago. And they all really want to be here, so presumably willing to block to get on the field. The slot guys (Wan'Dale, Alante, Fleming) are talented enough that I'm willing to sacrifice some talent at the other spots for good perimeter blocking. And Betts, Manning, Hickman, and maybe Martin give me hope on the outside. 

• Plus1 2

I saw a Tweet where Omar is potentially working through some mental health issues.  Whether he's homesick, concerned about lingering injuries, or other issues, it's not quite as easy as telling him "you're either ALL IN or you are ALL OUT".  The transition from JUCO to D-1 ball can be challenging, let alone during the current situation of dealing with the pandemic.

• Plus1 2