Pre-Season Pressers

My brother is on the team, I can say with great confidence he is much better off there than anywhere else. I know he’s just one kid but he was really struggling with some things in life and was quite honestly in a dark place. This opportunity has breathed new life into him, excitement I haven’t seen in years. I’m a lot less worried about him contracting Covid than I am about his mental and physical health if this is taken away. Even just one season away I worry about the paths these kids can go down. There are so many other things to factor in I really hope they are taking all this into consideration..

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

I don't mean to be that guy and I understand there is alot to consider here, but of course the football coach is going to say he would let his kid play. The epidemiologist would probably not. And there is a whole lot more to it than if someone would or would not let their kid play. 

You're not being "that guy." What you're saying is logical and fair to ask.

I hope the UNMC team was objective with our program in their determinations. Assuming they were, as to the bold above it kind of sounds like they did?

• Haha 1
3 minutes ago, Farms said:

My brother is on the team, I can say with great confidence he is much better off there than anywhere else. I know he’s just one kid but he was really struggling with some things in life and was quite honestly in a dark place. This opportunity has breathed new life into him, excitement I haven’t seen in years. I’m a lot less worried about him contracting Covid than I am about his mental and physical health if this is taken away. Even just one season away I worry about the paths these kids can go down. There are so many other things to consider these I really hope they are taking this into consideration.

Sounds like your brother needs help outside of football. While I don't necessarily disagree I don't think distracting people from their mental health is the answer. What happens when there is no more football?

1 minute ago, Undone said:

You're not being "that guy." What you're saying is logical and fair to ask.

I hope the UNMC team was objective with our program in their determinations. Assuming they were, as to the bold above it kind of sounds like they did?

I don't quite follow. Are you saying UNMC team would let their kids play or would not? 

2 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Sounds like your brother needs help outside of football. While I don't necessarily disagree I don't think distracting people from their mental health is the answer. What happens when there is no more football?

What I just said was that this has breathed life into him and has brought him out of those places. And being a part of the team he has access to more help than he has his whole life.

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

I don't quite follow. Are you saying UNMC team would let their kids play or would not? 

I was just referring to what Scott said in his presser about how they worked really closely with a team at UNMC to figure out the best course of action for how to handle the 2020 season.

11 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

My point was really that there many factors to consider. And if we are really worried about player safety and health,  we need to consider all the factors. But this isn’t about that, it’s about liability so let’s just call it what it is.

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, Farms said:

What I just said was that this has breathed life into him and has brought him out of those places. And being a part of the team he has access to more help than he has his whole life.

And all I said was I don't think playing football is a proper fix for mental health problems. Perhaps for your brother this is just what he needs but I see this argument used ad nauseum for why we need to push people back to work, to school and everything else. Routine is good for people, but masking mental health by keeping busy is just ignoring mental health. Also, there is a degree of anxiety and depression that accompanies the current situation. People are dying, its a heavy time. There is alot more to mental health than people going to work/school/ect. 

8 minutes ago, Undone said:

I was just referring to what Scott said in his presser about how they worked really closely with a team at UNMC to figure out the best course of action for how to handle the 2020 season.

Got it that makes sense now thanks for clarification. 

2 minutes ago, Farms said:

My point was really that there many factors to consider. And if we are really worried about player safety and health,  we need to consider all the factors. But this isn’t about that, it’s about liability so let’s just call it what it is.

I'm not in favor of a fall season but I do think fall should be treated like spring ball. I just think traveling and playing other schools has too many things that can go wrong. 

2 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

And all I said was I don't think playing football is a proper fix for mental health problems. Perhaps for your brother this is just what he needs but I see this argument used ad nauseum for why we need to push people back to work, to school and everything else. Routine is good for people, but masking mental health by keeping busy is just ignoring mental health. Also, there is a degree of anxiety and depression that accompanies the current situation. People are dying, its a heavy time. There is alot more to mental health than people going to work/school/ect. 

I guess we just differ in opinion. I don’t think routine or “keeping busy” masks mental health problems. I think isolation and lack of meaningful purpose for some people can cause psychological issues. Really wasn’t the point of the post at all so we’ll just leave it at that. Point was I am confident that him and 99% of the other kids are better off there for a multitude of reasons. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
9 minutes ago, Farms said:

I guess we just differ in opinion. I don’t think routine or “keeping busy” masks mental health problems. I think isolation and lack of meaningful purpose for some people can cause psychological issues. Really wasn’t the point of the post at all so we’ll just leave it at that. Point was I am confident that him and 99% of the other kids are better off there for a multitude of reasons. 

and again I think they should be there, just not traveling all over the country playing other teams at this moment in time 

40 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I don't know if any other coaches have held pressers recently, but I think Frost is the only one. This gives him a very tall pulpit to speak from, and he's NAILING it.

If there's an argument to play, right now, this Fall, he's making it. If the decision-makers can be influenced, this would do it.

Yep - kind of reminds you of this:

@ the 2:16:8 point of the video

Writers trying to make deadlines after Nebraska’s 42-17 win over Tennessee in the Orange Bowl looked up from their keyboards to watch the TV sets in the Pro Player Stadium press box. On the screens, CBS reporter Michele Tafoya asked NU quarterback Scott Frost for his thoughts on the national championship picture.

After saying how proud he was to play for Nebraska and Tom Osborne, Frost said to the world: “If all the pollsters honestly think, after watching the Rose Bowl and watching the Orange Bowl, that Michigan could beat Nebraska, then go ahead and vote Michigan, by all means.”

There was a huge cheer from Husker fans. As the noise subsided, Frost asked for one more second from Tafoya.

“I don’t think there’s anybody out there that, with a clear conscience, can say that Nebraska and especially Tom Osborne, that great man, doesn’t deserve a national championship for this. At least a share.”

The disgust and indignation were pretty thick up in the press box. But I’ll never forget a fellow sitting at the table next to me — Miami columnist Dan Le Batard — saying out loud, “That was great! He’s going to be governor of Nebraska some day.”

As it turned out, Frost wound up with a better gig.

So, back on to my rant on this.

So....you have a group of guys that have worked their asses off, not only this off season, but their entire lives.  For the most part, the players have stayed safe with relatively few cases.  They have continued to life and work to prepare.

Now...because so many in the rest of society hasn't given a s#!t or decided to instead believe in whatever conspiracy theory they see.....those kids can't go do what they love.  I'll admit, a big part of my frustration is as a fan.  But, when you start thinking about what these kids and coaches have done to prepare....only too have it taken away like this.....just is so damn frustrating.

Hopefully the Big Ten understands this and comes to the right conclusion.

• Plus1 1
30 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

So, back on to my rant on this.

So....you have a group of guys that have worked their asses off, not only this off season, but their entire lives.  For the most part, the players have stayed safe with relatively few cases.  They have continued to life and work to prepare.

Now...because so many in the rest of society hasn't given a s#!t or decided to instead believe in whatever conspiracy theory they see.....those kids can't go do what they love.  I'll admit, a big part of my frustration is as a fan.  But, when you start thinking about what these kids and coaches have done to prepare....only too have it taken away like this.....just is so damn frustrating.

Hopefully the Big Ten understands this and comes to the right conclusion.

You just described every single business, hobby, recreational activity... pretty much every single thing in the world over the past 6 months. They moved the Olympics. Trying to put precedent to unprecedented times is not helpful, even though, like you said, it's frustrating. 

There has also got to be some irony in Frost giving a press conference on public health with dip in. 

• Plus1 1