2021 Season Notes

18 hours ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Looks like (per Kendall)  SEC, ACC, Big 12, Pac 12 moving forward with full conf slates and non con - starting on time. I really wish the B1G would get their heads out of their asses on this one. They're hamstringing their own programs. It's embarrassing. 

To be fair it's just the way Big Ten does it. Hell we have a coldness postponement if it's too cold outside.

The big ten is bound and determined to turn the conference into another Mid American Conference. The sheer folly of allowing teams to travel to other cities with fewer restrictions than most Big Ten towns, eat in restaurants and sleep in motels all serviced by strangers while not allowing member teams to play local rivals within driving distance who have on their roster kids that many of our players grew up with.

• Fire 1
On 1/23/2021 at 1:42 PM, ColoradoHusk said:

Just the way the Big Ten does things is not a good reason for how they do things. The way they continue to be short-sighted and lack any creativity is maddening. 

Really? Is it "maddening" or is it "stoic". I'd say for sure its time tested, team oriented, proven consistency that also happens to provide for each of it's members a very substantial participation check. In another words.. I'm willing to tolerate their few inconsistencies for the overall consistent normalcy of the stability of success as a conference. 

9 minutes ago, Loebarth said:

Really? Is it "maddening" or is it "stoic". I'd say for sure its time tested, team oriented, proven consistency that also happens to provide for each of it's members a very substantial participation check. In another words.. I'm willing to tolerate their few inconsistencies for the overall consistent normalcy of the stability of success as a conference. 

Eh ... we can quibble over semantics all day.

Overall, I think it's a very good place to be.  But there really isn't any excuse for how poorly they've handled all the scheduling stuff this year.  They've been about the last major conference to figure everything out and been nearly the most restrictive with everything.  The Pac-12 just fired their commissioner, probably in no small part because of how they handled things the last several months.

• Plus1 1
49 minutes ago, Loebarth said:

I'm not trying to say NU should look to leave the conference, but I can still be critical of how the Big Ten Presidents/Chancellors and commissioner has handled the past year.  With schools ranging from the East Coast to the Heartland, they should look to be creative and listen to their schools to how they should approach scheduling in each sport.  Instead, they have been stodgy and re-active in all of their decisions, with the view of "what's best for the conference".  That may have worked when they were a regional, 10 team conference, but the conference is now 40% larger in number of teams, and covers nearly 1/2 of the country geographically.

I'm sure the Big Ten Presidents/Chancellors were glad to get rid of Delany.  They were happy to get a patsy like Warren in the job, so they could push him around and try to take some emphasis of sports in the conference schools.

Really disheartening to see all the other major conferences ready to go with a full slate in less than a month, culminating with a conference tournament in May. And the B1G still hasn't released anything, pretty much signaling we're going to be playing a conf only schedule, starting 2 weeks after everyone - maybe no conference tournament. Mostly sucks for the players. No playing in TD, no playing against local rivals, hurts chances at making the post season. Also makes no sense compared to how they handled hoops. IDK how you can look at this year and think it's anything but incompetence. 

• Plus1 1

I'm Ok with incompetence if it ensures the safety of our athletes. It's not like they won't be allowed to play nor if successful enough in their efforts that they won't be rewarded with post conference play. Everyone speculated that a 7 game season would remove the B1G's chances at a natty yet the B1G was in the championship game. If a B1G team shows competitive strength they will most certainly be rewarded with post season play. I for one want our athletes safe, healthy and confident.. I'm ok with the "no" out of conference games strategy.

4 minutes ago, Loebarth said:

I'm Ok with incompetence if it ensures the safety of our athletes. It's not like they won't be allowed to play nor if successful enough in their efforts that they won't be rewarded with post conference play. Everyone speculated that a 7 game season would remove the B1G's chances at a natty yet the B1G was in the championship game. If a B1G team shows competitive strength they will most certainly be rewarded with post season play. I for one want our athletes safe, healthy and confident.. I'm ok with the "no" out of conference games strategy.

There's a difference between sports. Ohio State was already a top 5 team when polls were first released. The Big Ten isn't looked at even one of the top 5 baseball conferences. That's where it's going to hurt us. And the conference has just been on a great stretch of showing up. Just because we don't play any local schools or non-cons why does that make you think we will be safer?

• Plus1 1
58 minutes ago, hskrfan4life said:

There's a difference between sports. Ohio State was already a top 5 team when polls were first released. The Big Ten isn't looked at even one of the top 5 baseball conferences. That's where it's going to hurt us. And the conference has just been on a great stretch of showing up. Just because we don't play any local schools or non-cons why does that make you think we will be safer?

^Yep. I get athlete safety but there is no basis for it being any safer. Also it's okay for B1G Basketball teams to travel all over the country to play in the ACC challenge, when COVID was raging in December, close contact sport, indoors. But Nebraska Baseball can't drive 40 minutes to Omaha to play a non con game, outdoors, in May (when half the country is projected to be vaccinated). 

• Plus1 3