2021 Season Notes

1 hour ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

This prompted Husker fans to tweet at Kendall Rogers, who defended their B1G coverage by saying they have 2 Midwest writers. I looked thru their Midwest writers tweets. Lots of Maryland and OSU tweets, no mention of Nebraska in the last month (who is 13-2 in their last 15 and leading the B1G). Not much mention of Michigan either. If you’re covering the Midwest/B1G and not mentioning Nebraska or Michigan.....you’re probably doing it wrong. 

Then Kendall deleted said tweet about their midwest coverage.

It sucks the Huskers aren't getting recognized in the media for their season.  

My question is, (because I don't follow it enough to know) how does this affect our post season if we keep playing great baseball and winning the vast majority of our games but don't climb much in the RPI or get recognized in the rankings?

That's really what matters.

35 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

My question is, (because I don't follow it enough to know) how does this affect our post season if we keep playing great baseball and winning the vast majority of our games but don't climb much in the RPI or get recognized in the rankings?

Rankings don't matter.  I assume some decent weight is given to RPI but I don't know how much.

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

RPI will be considered but not weighted like it was in past seasons. Hard to take it seriously when Fairfield is the number 1 RPI team but would get ran off a field by Arkansas. Truth is Fairfield is maybe a 2 seed but probably a 3. NCAA committee will have a lot of liberty with how they seed. 

• Plus1 2

The RPI is a very flawed metric this season, especially for Big Ten teams, because of the lack of non-conference play.  The big question is how much weight will the NCAA Selection Committee give the RPI, because that's the big unknown this year.

If the season ended today, NU would be in the NCAA Tournament, likely as a #2 seed somewhere.  That's about right for this year's team.  NU may get a look as a regional host (even as a #2 seed) because the NCAA may want to have diverse locations across the U.S. to reduce travel.

There are a lot of unknowns this season.  If NU keeps winning, that takes care of one of the big unknowns.  The regional sites will be announced at the beginning of May, which will also provide us more answers.  I am taking the approach for this year is to have NU contend  for (and hopefully win) the conference championship, and everything else is gravy.  This is basically Bolt's first year.  Let's not expect the rebuild to happen overnight.

7 minutes ago, hskrfan4life said:

https://d1baseball.com/postseason/projected-field-of-64-april-20/

Nebraska still projected as a 2-seed in the #1 overall seed Arkansas regional

Arkansas is pretty close geographically and NCAA likes the storylines (like DVH vs his Clone). Kinda feels like if we're a 2 or 3 we will be slotted in Fayetteville. The only way out of that would be ending the season like 34-10 and getting a 1 seed. Arkansas and Vandy are the two regionals you want to avoid - both seem like locks for Omaha. 

1 minute ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Arkansas is pretty close geographically and NCAA likes the storylines (like DVH vs his Clone). Kinda feels like if we're a 2 or 3 we will be slotted in Fayetteville. The only way out of that would be ending the season like 34-10 and getting a 1 seed. Arkansas and Vandy are the two regionals you want to avoid - both seem like locks for Omaha. 

Yep, TBF if Nebraska & Michigan keep winning, the series at the end of the year might determine a regional host.

I think the midwest is set for 2 regionals and the 3 teams currently in the running are Mich, Neb, Notre Dame.. (all 3 can afford to put forth a lucrative package that out bids other pretenders and all 3 have the facility with Haymarket Park being the premier of the 3).

As for the Fayetteville regional. The only reason Nebraska would be sent there if they don't get a regional is the DVH/Bolt appeal. In reality and for the good of the game, the better location(s) would be a host site within the Big 12. I believe the ncaa committee would chose the latter rather than the current D1 projection. I also believe D1 projects more to their hopes instead of the actual committee needs. Nebraska in a BIG 12 regional would bring more money and more recognition as a whole to that regional over a possible matchup between the Master and Student.