Guided fishing trips

HANC

Sorry to be so closely related to my other topic, but how many have taken guided fishing trips and where, with who?

I just got back from Devil's Lake, ND. Great walleye trip with Perch Patrol.

Looking for a guide Pike trip next.

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, HANC said:

Sorry to be so closely related to my other topic, but how many have taken guided fishing trips and where, with who?

I just got back from Devil's Lake, ND. Great walleye trip with Perch Patrol.

Looking for a guide Pike trip next.

I am not sure if this is the same thing but I did two in the Florida Keys

1.  It was awesome and we caught so many Mahi Mahi and someone snagged a blackfin tuna, I had to help reel it in, that freaking thing fought!

2.  Second one sucked, I got sick and just threw up for 4 hours...it was like reading certain...nevermind. 

• Haha 1
  • Fire 1
57 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I am not sure if this is the same thing but I did two in the Florida Keys

1.  It was awesome and we caught so many Mahi Mahi and someone snagged a blackfin tuna, I had to help reel it in, that freaking thing fought!

2.  Second one sucked, I got sick and just threw up for 4 hours...it was like reading certain...nevermind. 

#1 is on my bucket list

#2 sounds like me everytime Iowa wins

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, HANC said:

Want to catch something I have to fight awhile.  Just what you are talking about.

The tuna took like...15 minutes?  It was not all that big but it was strong!!!!!  

That Florida Key sun is something else too...good lord.  I was tan before going but it didn't matter.  That sun will get you.

I've fished with perch patrol in the winter, very spendy but we caught quite a few, I've used guides on LOTW twice and once in venice Louisiana for reds and specks, big bodies of water or a totally different area I'd go guided but on anything else you can do your research and with good electronics with mapping  get on fish .Garmin's livescope is the real deal ,if you want BIG and fresh water and some scenery I'd head west for some sturgeon!

10 hours ago, teachercd said:

Dude, so...the captain just finds the school and you just toss in your line and the Mahi just attack it...I bet we caught 12-15 in 5 minutes.  

I did that at Myrtle Beach once. Captain goes out about ten miles, finds a school, everybody drops their lines, and you start pulling them in faster than you could at the supermarket. We were into Sea Bass. Man were they good for supper that night. I'd really like to go on one of the excursions with only a couple people and "the chair" you have to strap into. There must've been twenty people per side on my Myrtle Beach trip. Quite a few times people would get tangled with someone on the other side of the boat. They'd think they had the big one until one of the helpers would come cut their line :lol: And I did get a little seasick on the way back in. What a terrible feeling.

• Haha 1
29 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I did that at Myrtle Beach once. Captain goes out about ten miles, finds a school, everybody drops their lines, and you start pulling them in faster than you could at the supermarket. We were into Sea Bass. Man were they good for supper that night. I'd really like to go on one of the excursions with only a couple people and "the chair" you have to strap into. There must've been twenty people per side on my Myrtle Beach trip. Quite a few times people would get tangled with someone on the other side of the boat. They'd think they had the big one until one of the helpers would come cut their line :lol: And I did get a little seasick on the way back in. What a terrible feeling.

Seasick is no joke.  For me, it lasted the entire trip and the second we got to shore...I was fine.  It was so bad (for me) that I skipped the 3rd day of fishing,.  

Took a fishing trip on our honeymoon in CanCun back in 1991.  It was OK...I had fun and my wife puked the whole time.

I hired a guide to take a customer out in Biloxi MS years ago.  It sucked.  The guy was an idiot and acted like he didn't even want to be there.

On my bucket list though is to go halibut and salmon fishing in Alaska.  I know a number of guys that have gone on similar trips multiple times and they would get me with the right guides.  

• Plus1 1

4 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Seasick is no joke.  For me, it lasted the entire trip and the second we got to shore...I was fine.  It was so bad (for me) that I skipped the 3rd day of fishing,.  

You're tougher than me. No way I would've made it a second day. We were towards the back of the boat so along with the motion of the ocean we were getting some diesel fumes and the smell of the raw bait, squid chunks IIRC. Probably would've been okay but it was really choppy on the way back in. That "just wanna die" feeling did go away pretty quick once on land.

4 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

You're tougher than me. No way I would've made it a second day. We were towards the back of the boat so along with the motion of the ocean we were getting some diesel fumes and the smell of the raw bait, squid chunks IIRC. Probably would've been okay but it was really choppy on the way back in. That "just wanna die" feeling did go away pretty quick once on land.

The worst was the 3 guys I was with (friends with my dad) kept giving me advice...

Don't lay down

Look at the horizon

Stand up and bend over (not sure what that one was about.)

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, teachercd said:

The worst was the 3 guys I was with (friends with my dad) kept giving me advice...

Don't lay down

Look at the horizon

Stand up and bend over (not sure what that one was about.)

Your friends are nicer than mine.  90% of my friends would have been telling me to do everything wrong so they could watch me puke even more and giving me crap about it.

I have never had motion or sea sickness.  I have no clue what it's even like.  I envision it though like you just got home from the bar at 2:00am, go to bed and the room starts spinning.  But, helping others through it, being to the back of the boat is usually best and if you can sit down and put your feet in the water, it lots of times helps.  

• Haha 1
26 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Your friends are nicer than mine.  90% of my friends would have been telling me to do everything wrong so they could watch me puke even more and giving me crap about it.

I have never had motion or sea sickness.  I have no clue what it's even like.  I envision it though like you just got home from the bar at 2:00am, go to bed and the room starts spinning.  But, helping others through it, being to the back of the boat is usually best and if you can sit down and put your feet in the water, it lots of times helps.  

Well they were my dads friends!  My friends would have laughed their asses off.

16 hours ago, man eating mastodon said:

I've fished with perch patrol in the winter, very spendy but we caught quite a few, I've used guides on LOTW twice and once in venice Louisiana for reds and specks, big bodies of water or a totally different area I'd go guided but on anything else you can do your research and with good electronics with mapping  get on fish .Garmin's livescope is the real deal ,if you want BIG and fresh water and some scenery I'd head west for some sturgeon!

Yes, perch patrol was a little bit high, but as you said, they put us on fish and guide was enjoyable.  Do you remember who you went with on LOTW and would you recommend them?