When college football and politics intersect

Mike Gundy, HFC at the Oklahoma State university, was recently photographed wearing an OAN t-shirt.

As some of you know, OAN is the right-wing answer to that liberal bastion, Fox News. Trump has frequently called out Fox recently for not supporting him enough. Enter OAN, which makes Fox look liberal.

That's a propaganda source that, as you may imagine, doesn't sit well with a lot of people of color.

That includes Chuba Hubbard, star RB for Oklahoma State.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Waldo said:

Freedom of Speech is dead.
The fact that this is its own thread is a joke. 

Cry us a river.

Gundy has free speech. Nobody is curtailing that.

Speech has consequences, and that's not something the First Amendment protects you against.

The fact that people don't or won't understand that is a rot at the heart of American society that we must cut out.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

4 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Cry us a river.

Gundy has free speech. Nobody is curtailing that.

Speech has consequences, and that's not something the First Amendment protects you against.

The fact that people don't or won't understand that is a rot at the heart of American society that we must cut out.

US? You got two people in that body?

You’re the one with your panties in a wad over someone wearing a t-shirt. 
Sure, Gundy could face some player/media backlash, but I’m sure he can handle it (he’s a man) given his previous statements on the issue. 
If he wore a far-left T-shirt, this wouldn’t be a topic. I didn’t even know what OAN was, (On Another Note was the first acronym I got) but I just don’t know why people care so much what people do in their personal lives. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

Gundy has said so many stupid things over the years - only because he is a successful football coach in football crazed Okla does he survive it all.  Of course, there are too many here in Okla who would agree with his acceptance of OAN.  That John Olver video was an eye opener - I never realized how tied to the hip Trump and Oan have become and also how he is really using them for his propaganda. 

• Plus1 1
21 minutes ago, Waldo said:

I just don’t know why people care so much what people do in their personal lives. 

A public person like Gundy, who represents my state, must be aware of the messages he is telegraphing to others.  Frankly, my tax dollars purchased that shirt as my tax dollars pays his salary. That doesn't mean he doesn't have freedom to wear what he wants to wear or to say dumb things, but he must be aware that Oan is pretty far right - not moderate right, not conservative right, but far right.  There are some nutjobs associated with the network and some cooky conspiracy theories that they push - where do you think Trump gets his cooky theories?

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
54 minutes ago, Waldo said:

US? You got two people in that body?

You’re the one with your panties in a wad over someone wearing a t-shirt. 
Sure, Gundy could face some player/media backlash, but I’m sure he can handle it (he’s a man) given his previous statements on the issue. 
If he wore a far-left T-shirt, this wouldn’t be a topic. I didn’t even know what OAN was, (On Another Note was the first acronym I got) but I just don’t know why people care so much what people do in their personal lives. 

Are you trying to play the victim? 

43 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

A public person like Gundy, who represents my state, must be aware of the messages he is telegraphing to others.  Frankly, my tax dollars purchased that shirt as my tax dollars pays his salary. That doesn't mean he doesn't have freedom to wear what he wants to wear or to say dumb things, but he must be aware that Oan is pretty far right - not moderate right, not conservative right, but far right.  There are some nutjobs associated with the network and some cooky conspiracy theories that they push - where do you think Trump gets his cooky theories?

Not weighing in on the political side of this, because I think Gundy wearing an OAN shirt shows how clueless he is.  But, does Oklahoma State use general university funds for their athletic department?  If OSU has a self-funded athletic department using donations, ticket sales, $ from the Big 12 conference, etc, then your tax dollars don't pay his salary.  If OSU does transfer funds from the general university, supported by state of Oklahoma taxes, then you may have a point.

• Plus1 1

I have never seen or read anything from OAN and I have never heard of this running back but apparently his is a Heisman front runner?  

4 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Not weighing in on the political side of this, because I think Gundy wearing an OAN shirt shows how clueless he is.  But, does Oklahoma State use general university funds for their athletic department?  If OSU has a self-funded athletic department using donations, ticket sales, $ from the Big 12 conference, etc, then your tax dollars don't pay his salary.  If OSU does transfer funds from the general university, supported by state of Oklahoma taxes, then you may have a point.

Is his "real boss" still alive?  That guy probably loved it!

1 minute ago, teachercd said:

I have never seen or read anything from OAN and I have never heard of this running back but apparently his is a Heisman front runner?  

Yeah, he had nearly 2100 yards rushing last year, and returned to Okie State, even though he was eligible to try for the NFL.

• Plus1 1