When college football and politics intersect

1 hour ago, Waldo said:

Freedom of Speech is dead.

How is free speech dead when there's a very popular 'news' channel peddling conspiracy theories like black lives matter being a terrorist organization, and getting away with it with no punishment or censorship whatsoever?

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1
2 hours ago, Waldo said:

Freedom of Speech is dead.
The fact that this is its own thread is a joke. 

I still cant understand how many right wingers dont know how freedom of speech works. I can go into work today and tell my boss he looks like a penis with a little hat on. Guess what? I wont be arrested. That is violating freedom of speech. But guess what else? Im getting fired because FOS has consequences. 

• Plus1 6
  • Fire 1
12 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Looks like Gundy and that dude patched it up...overreactionmuch?  Hahaha

"In light of today's tweet with the T-shirt that I was wearing, I met with some players and realize it's a very sensitive issue with what's going on in today's society," Gundy said in the video. "And so, we had a great meeting. [I was] made aware of some things that players feel like can make our organization, our culture even better than it is here at Oklahoma State. I'm looking forward to making some changes, and it starts at the top with me. And we've got good days ahead."

Hubbard then said he had gone "about it the wrong way by tweeting" and added that "from now on we're gonna focus on bringing change, and that's the most important thing."

"By voicing our opinion we are happy to have came to a conclusion and opened a gateway to create some serious CHANGE around Oklahoma State. My teammates and I have all agreed we will go ahead and resume all workouts and activities," he wrote. "We're all in this together."

Houston Texans receiver Kenny Stills, who played at OSU rival Oklahoma, expressed displeasure with how the situation was resolved, tweeting to Hubbard: "You did nothing wrong. Without public pressure Gundy wouldn't have flinched. He didn't even apologize in this video."

Hubbard later tweeted: "No don't get it twisted. Foots still on the gas. Results are coming. It's not over."

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29315116/chuba-hubbard-doing-anything-oklahoma-state-mike-gundy-wears-oan-shirt

29 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Looks like Gundy and that dude patched it up...overreactionmuch?  Hahaha

Good thing he didn't have a Nickelodeon shirt on...people would have accused him of liking little kids.  

The people who claim this is an over-reaction also claim never to have watched OAN.

So go to OAN. Watch it. If you think this network is neither left nor right and just refreshingly tells the truth as Gundy contends, you have no concept of the truth and can't read the room to save your life. Or you secretly agree with their methods and goals, which are truly North Korea worthy. 

Either way, it's a bad look for a coach of young men. 

Also...you think that dog and pony show scripted for Gundy means this is now officially over? 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

The people who claim this is an over-reaction also claim never to have watched OAN.

So go to OAN. Watch it. If you think this network is neither left nor right and just refreshingly tells the truth as Gundy contends, you have no concept of the truth and can't read the room to save your life.

It's a bad look for a coach of young men. 

Also...you think that dog and pony show scripted for Gundy means this is now officially over? 

I am not going to go watch it.  I don't waste my time watching new stations during my free time because I have better things to do and to watch.  Also, I am not crazy.  Also, I watch about 4 things because I am not a nutjob.  Family Guy, Diners Drive ins and Dives, Sports and Netflix. 

I do think the dog and pony show means it is "over" in the sense that the RB that was pissed about it said they are fine with coming back to workout.  

This is not like Iowa...where it is clearly not over and there is still a chance that Ferentz is going to "retire"

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I am not going to go watch it.  I don't waste my time watching new stations during my free time because I have better things to do and to watch.  Also, I am not crazy.  Also, I watch about 4 things because I am not a nutjob.  Family Guy, Diners Drive ins and Dives, Sports and Netflix. 

I do think the dog and pony show means it is "over" in the sense that the RB that was pissed about it said they are fine with coming back to workout.  

This is not like Iowa...where it is clearly not over and there is still a chance that Ferentz is going to "retire"

The reason it's not over is because the dog and pony show was thrown together to save Gundy, and folks watching it thought the RB looked really uncomfortable with it, and when sports radio and fellow football players on social media noted that the kid actually apologized and Gundy didn't, everyone pretty much agreed this isn't over yet.

5 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

The reason it's not over is because the dog and pony show was thrown together to save Gundy, and folks watching it thought the RB looked really uncomfortable with it, and when sports radio and fellow football players on social media noted that the kid actually apologized and Gundy didn't, everyone pretty much agreed this isn't over yet.

I guess I don't know what you mean by "over"

I mean, Gundy is not losing his job.  What do you mean?

21 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I guess I don't know what you mean by "over"

I mean, Gundy is not losing his job.  What do you mean?

You just said it was over because Hubbard said he was fine coming back for workouts. The response from fellow teammates, current NFL players, and Hubbard himself suggest Gundy is not off the hook quite yet. Face-saving PR stunts should never be that easy. 

9 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

You just said it was over because Hubbard said he was fine coming back for workouts. The response from fellow teammates, current NFL players, and Hubbard himself suggest Gundy is not off the hook quite yet. Face-saving PR stunts should never be that easy. 

Right.  I mean, that is over.  If he stayed away and refused to practice it would not be over.