When college football and politics intersect

Look, did Gundy wearing an OAN t-shirt offend me? No. I mean the guys been a prick his entire career, I'm not shocked. But how tone deaf is that dude. His job centers around coaching and recruiting young black kids. Black athletes are taking these protests very seriously, and you wear a shirt of the network that is labeling protestors (even elderly protestors) as terrorists? What good is going to come of that? At the very least you are going to alienate some of you current players and recruits. 

• Plus1 4

16 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Not weighing in on the political side of this, because I think Gundy wearing an OAN shirt shows how clueless he is.  But, does Oklahoma State use general university funds for their athletic department?  If OSU has a self-funded athletic department using donations, ticket sales, $ from the Big 12 conference, etc, then your tax dollars don't pay his salary.  If OSU does transfer funds from the general university, supported by state of Oklahoma taxes, then you may have a point.

:dunno:dunno   I don't know.  Good point

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Look, did Gundy wearing an OAN t-shirt offend me? No. I mean the guys been a prick his entire career, I'm not shocked. But how tone deaf is that dude. His job centers around coaching and recruiting young black kids. Black athletes are taking these protests very seriously, and you wear a shirt of the network that is labeling protestors (even elderly protestors) as terrorists? What good is going to come of that? At the very least you are going to alienate some of you current players and recruits. 

On a side note, when will Blacks learn the left doesn’t do S&#T for them? 

• Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, Waldo said:

The left does s#!t for blacks. The Democratic Party, not so much. They are not always synonymous. 

Here's hoping the outrage covers everybody who deserves it. 

• Plus1 5
2 hours ago, Waldo said:

The 'left' is in the streets every day for the last two weeks protesting, talking to their public officials, spreading ideas for reform, forcing public pressure which is leading to resignations and arrests, literally being human shields for black people caught in front of militarized police. 

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, Landlord said:

The 'left' is in the streets every day for the last two weeks protesting, talking to their public officials, spreading ideas for reform, forcing public pressure which is leading to resignations and arrests, literally being human shields for black people caught in front of militarized police. 

I meant the politicians and those in power 

• Plus1 1

The Democrats/left screw up plenty, but the Democrats/left can't help Blacks by themselves when they don't have a super majority. Unfortunately there were also bipartisan laws that hurt Blacks in the past.

The things that should happen that would help the most are:

Gun reform
Police reform
Marijuana legalization
Lessening of jail time for drug possession
Raising taxes on the wealthy

By and large the left/Democrats are the ones wanting to do these things

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
58 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

The Democrats/left screw up plenty, but the Democrats/left can't help Blacks by themselves when they don't have a super majority. Unfortunately there were also bipartisan laws that hurt Blacks in the past.

The things that should happen that would help the most are:

Gun reform
Police reform
Marijuana legalization
Lessening of jail time for drug possession
Raising taxes on the wealthy

By and large the left/Democrats are the ones wanting to do these things

It's both interesting and hopeful that Republicans and Democrats increasingly find themselves on the same page about sentencing and prison reform, and now suddenly on at least SOME police reform. 

But wherever possible, Republicans are making it hard for black people to vote, and if they vote they're virtually gerrymandered out of relevance in Republican controlled states.. That sort of tips your hand. Having your President leaning into the Confederacy and white nationalism tends to close the deal. All Democrats have to do is shake their heads sadly. 

• Plus1 2
33 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

It's both interesting and hopeful that Republicans and Democrats increasingly find themselves on the same page about sentencing and prison reform, and now suddenly on at least SOME police reform. 

But wherever possible, Republicans are making it hard for black people to vote, and if they vote they're virtually gerrymandered out of relevance in Republican controlled states.. That sort of tips your hand. Having your President leaning into the Confederacy and white nationalism tends to close the deal. All Democrats have to do is shake their heads sadly. 

Ya, not sure how I forgot about the voter disenfranchisement.