The Room Where It Happened, by John Bolton

As we start to hear/read Bolton's accounts that weave in and out of many Politics & Religion threads, I thought it might be best to consolidate them here:

What does it say that Russia and China desperately want Trump?

TRUMP ASKED CHINA's XI JINPING TO HELP HIM WIN THE 2020 U.S. ELECTION!!! 

This is bat-sh*t crazy!!! 

And, yes, Bolton is a coward for doing nothing, hiding, and letting Vindman, Yovonovitch, et al walk the plank.

• Plus1 2

I agree, f#&% Bolton for selling out to try to make money. I mean I guess I understand the impulse from a selfish perspective but with the fate of the country hanging in the balance it totally hoses the rest of us.

Good god the quotes are all horrible looking for Trump. I see why he's grasping at straws legally trying to block this. Especially in an election year where their central theme is being tough on China. To be painted as a dimwitted moron asking China to help re-elect him - oof.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Danny Bateman said:

I see why he's grasping at straws legally trying to block this.

Grasping at straws, indeed. There is nothing confidential about supporting Muslim concentration camps (what happened to religious freedumb?), covering murders to distract from your daughter's own Clinton email fiasco, not knowing where Finland is, etc.

Just now, Danny Bateman said:

I agree, f#&% Bolton for selling out to try to make money. I mean I guess I understand the impulse from a selfish perspective but with the fate of the country hanging in the balance it totally hoses the rest of us.

Good god the quotes are all horrible looking for Trump. I see why he's grasping at straws legally trying to block this. Especially in an election year where their central theme is being tough on China. To be painted as a dimwitted moron asking China to help re-elect him - oof.

Guy is running around screaming about Biden being soft on China, and Hilary's emails. Meanwhile trying to cover up Ivanka's emails and asking China for help. And that's not even mentioning the treason, being an advocate for concentration camps, jailing/kill journalists and wiping his a$$ with the constitution. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, teachercd said:

The title sounds like a Lifetime movie...

I don't blame him for trying to cash out on this.  Dude had a winning lotto ticket in his hands, I would not just give that away either.  Most of us would do the same.

I disagree, most of us aren't cowards and would have done the right thing.

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 2

Pulled this from a post earlier today. There's nothing classified in this book. It's just that it's embarrassing to Trump.

There's already been a ruling on it. Bolton's going to publish it, get it out there, and let Trump try to sue him.

Funny thing - where are all the people who were so worried about "cancel culture" a couple days ago?  Trump's trying to cancel Bolton's book...   ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Plus1 1

You know the Trump cult members in the Senate could have called/forced Bolton to testify under oath and in private during the impeachment proceedings.  But because their loyalty was to the GOP brand which has now become the trump brand, they did not. 

They are the real cowards.

Therefore we have to live wt the consequences of having Trump as president during the pandemic and during all of this racial tension. 

https://www.latimes.com/politics/story/2020-06-17/federal-prosecutors-are-mulling-criminal-charges-against-john-bolton

Federal prosecutors are weighing whether to criminally charge John Bolton with disclosing classified information in his upcoming White House memoir, and the Justice Department is expected in coming days to ramp up its legal campaign to block publication of a book that is being billed as a scathing rebuke of President Trump, according to people familiar with the matter.

The Justice Department is expected to seek a temporary restraining order from a federal judge as soon as Wednesday that would block Bolton and his publisher, Simon & Schuster, from releasing the memoir as planned on June 23, the people said. It is not clear how successful such a legal fight would be. On Wednesday, the Wall Street Journal published a lengthy excerpt of the book. It is also in the hands of journalists who have begun to chronicle its findings in stories.

Nevertheless, such a legal maneuver would amp up the fight begun Tuesday when the Justice Department filed a lawsuit asking a federal judge to order Bolton to halt the release of “The Room Where It Happened: A White House Memoir,” pending the conclusion of a prepublication scrub of the manuscript for classified information.

The suit alleges that Bolton is in breach of nondisclosure agreements that required such a review and clearance by the National Security Council before he can publish a book.

• Plus1 2

From the NYT article above comes this quote. 

Trump thinks he is the smartest person in the room.  The bold below is a scary thought - trump doesn't rely on experts but on his own gut feelings. 

A month later, Mr. Bolton writes, Mr. Pompeo dismissed the president’s North Korea diplomacy, declaring that there was “zero probability of success.”

Intelligence briefings with the president were a waste of time “since much of the time was spent listening to Trump, rather than Trump listening to the briefers.” Mr. Trump likes pitting staff members against one another, at one point telling Mr. Bolton that former Secretary of State Rex W. Tillerson had once referred to Nikki R. Haley, then the ambassador to the United Nations, by a sexist obscenity — an assertion Mr. Bolton seemed to doubt but found telling that the president would make it.

Mr. Trump said so many things that were wrong or false that Mr. Bolton in the book regularly includes phrases like “(the opposite of the truth)” following some quote from the president. And Mr. Trump in this telling has no overarching philosophy of governance or foreign policy but rather a series of gut-driven instincts that sometimes mirrored Mr. Bolton’s but other times were, in his view, dangerous and reckless.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1